Dec 3, 2012, 9:00 PM EDT
Former UConn coach Jim Calhoun had surgery to remove a cancerous growth from his lungs in May, Calhoun told Michael Kay while taping an episode of the YES Network’s Center Stage.
Calhoun, who retired prior to this season as coach of the Huskies, said that doctors were concerned it could’ve been related to a previous skin cancer. This surgery comes just a few months after Calhoun had surgery on his hip following a bicycle accident. he also had surgery on his spine in February.
Calhoun confirmed the news to the Associated Press.
“It was cancer-related, yes,” he told The Associated Press. “I’m not going to talk about it. I was out for a day and a half. I’m completely healthy now.”
In another interesting twist, Calhoun also said he hasn’t ruled out a return to coaching.
You’ve got to feel for a guy who has undergone three surgeries in the past year. Not a great 2012 for him. Let’s all hope the cancer is out of his system.
As far as coaching goes, he could definitely help a low-major program in need of a boost. I think Calhoun’s health will prevent him from being as committed as it takes to revamp a high-major Division I program.
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- AAU Nationals Friday Recap: Event moves to Louisville, Bruce Brown plays well, Noah Dickerson updates recruitment 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Class of 2015 Draft 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 3
- Las Vegas Thursday Recap: Skal Labissiere, Stephen Zimmerman perform well 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (2)