Dec 3, 2012, 9:00 PM EDT
Former UConn coach Jim Calhoun had surgery to remove a cancerous growth from his lungs in May, Calhoun told Michael Kay while taping an episode of the YES Network’s Center Stage.
Calhoun, who retired prior to this season as coach of the Huskies, said that doctors were concerned it could’ve been related to a previous skin cancer. This surgery comes just a few months after Calhoun had surgery on his hip following a bicycle accident. he also had surgery on his spine in February.
Calhoun confirmed the news to the Associated Press.
“It was cancer-related, yes,” he told The Associated Press. “I’m not going to talk about it. I was out for a day and a half. I’m completely healthy now.”
In another interesting twist, Calhoun also said he hasn’t ruled out a return to coaching.
You’ve got to feel for a guy who has undergone three surgeries in the past year. Not a great 2012 for him. Let’s all hope the cancer is out of his system.
As far as coaching goes, he could definitely help a low-major program in need of a boost. I think Calhoun’s health will prevent him from being as committed as it takes to revamp a high-major Division I program.
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 2
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)