Dec 3, 2012, 10:09 PM EST
In an otherwise ho-hum game for Syracuse, Michael Carter-Williams showed why he might be the breakout player of the 2012-13 season.
The sophomore went for a double-double of 11 points and 11 assists and pulled down seven rebounds in an 84-48 victory over Eastern Michigan on Monday night. He’s been on a bit of a tear lately, going for 17-10-and-9 in a win over Arkansas.
MCW got his points on just 3-of-9 shooting and committed six turnovers, but is emerging as a point guard that Syracuse didn’t look like it had in the preseason.
All five starters played at least 21 minutes, with James Southerland getting 24 minutes off the bench.
Derek Thompson had a team-high 18 points for the Eagles and Glenn Bryant had a double-double of his own with 16 and 10 rebounds in the loss as well, though they combined to shoot 13-for-36.
Dejuan Coleman had a team-high 14 points for the Orange, who are now 6-0, including a 4-0 mark at home in the Carrier Dome.
Pretty solid effort all-around for the Orange, with five players finished in double-figures, including 11 each from Trevor Cooney (in 18 minutes) and Jerami Grant (in 15 minutes). That kind of depth will be necessary when Big East Conference play rolls around. Especially if that depth can provide serious points.
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 1
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 13
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (7)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)