Dec 3, 2012, 10:09 PM EST
In an otherwise ho-hum game for Syracuse, Michael Carter-Williams showed why he might be the breakout player of the 2012-13 season.
The sophomore went for a double-double of 11 points and 11 assists and pulled down seven rebounds in an 84-48 victory over Eastern Michigan on Monday night. He’s been on a bit of a tear lately, going for 17-10-and-9 in a win over Arkansas.
MCW got his points on just 3-of-9 shooting and committed six turnovers, but is emerging as a point guard that Syracuse didn’t look like it had in the preseason.
All five starters played at least 21 minutes, with James Southerland getting 24 minutes off the bench.
Derek Thompson had a team-high 18 points for the Eagles and Glenn Bryant had a double-double of his own with 16 and 10 rebounds in the loss as well, though they combined to shoot 13-for-36.
Dejuan Coleman had a team-high 14 points for the Orange, who are now 6-0, including a 4-0 mark at home in the Carrier Dome.
Pretty solid effort all-around for the Orange, with five players finished in double-figures, including 11 each from Trevor Cooney (in 18 minutes) and Jerami Grant (in 15 minutes). That kind of depth will be necessary when Big East Conference play rolls around. Especially if that depth can provide serious points.
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 2
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 1
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)