Dec 3, 2012, 10:09 PM EST
In an otherwise ho-hum game for Syracuse, Michael Carter-Williams showed why he might be the breakout player of the 2012-13 season.
The sophomore went for a double-double of 11 points and 11 assists and pulled down seven rebounds in an 84-48 victory over Eastern Michigan on Monday night. He’s been on a bit of a tear lately, going for 17-10-and-9 in a win over Arkansas.
MCW got his points on just 3-of-9 shooting and committed six turnovers, but is emerging as a point guard that Syracuse didn’t look like it had in the preseason.
All five starters played at least 21 minutes, with James Southerland getting 24 minutes off the bench.
Derek Thompson had a team-high 18 points for the Eagles and Glenn Bryant had a double-double of his own with 16 and 10 rebounds in the loss as well, though they combined to shoot 13-for-36.
Dejuan Coleman had a team-high 14 points for the Orange, who are now 6-0, including a 4-0 mark at home in the Carrier Dome.
Pretty solid effort all-around for the Orange, with five players finished in double-figures, including 11 each from Trevor Cooney (in 18 minutes) and Jerami Grant (in 15 minutes). That kind of depth will be necessary when Big East Conference play rolls around. Especially if that depth can provide serious points.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)