Dec 3, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
Each day, CollegeBasketballTalk brings you the “Pregame Shootaround,” which will be posted at 2 p.m. ET and lay out a preview for the slate of games that night. We’ll take a look at some key match-ups and important games, as well as make some predictions and point out what you need to watch for. Take a look below at today’s edition:
Game of the Night: USC at Nebraska, 8:00 p.m. (Big Ten Network): This is how you know it’s a quiet night: the best game of the night pits a 3-3 USC team against Nebraska, who you can probably pencil in as a double-digit seed in the Big Ten tournament. The intrigue here lies with USC. The Trojans were a team that a lot of people thought could make some noise in the Pac-12 this season, but with a month of the season gone, they have wins over a Long Beach State team that is missing three players, a Texas team without Myck Kabongo, and Coppin State. Throw in a home loss to San Diego State in a game the Aztecs were essentially missing two starters and a 30 point loss to Illinois out in Maui, and the Trojans could really use a win on the road tonight.
Who’s getting upset?: No. 23 San Diego State: I have to pick someone, and I don’t think that Syracuse is losing at home to Eastern Michigan, so the Aztecs it is. Chase Tapley and Deshawn Stephens are banged up and Texas Southern is fresh off of taking Colorado to double-overtime last week. Keep an eye on Omar Strong. He had 39 points in that loss to Colorado.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Night: Long Beach State at Fresno State: Eight days ago, Peter Pappageorge scored 23 points to give the 49ers a win over the Bulldogs, and while it will be interesting to see if Fresno State can put together a rebuttal, this matchup is nothing but a tease. Braeden Anderson, the former Kansas-signee, still isn’t eligibile for Fresno State, while LBSU is waiting on Keala King and Tony Freeland to get eligible.
Five things to watch for:
1. Syracuse hosts Eastern Michigan, who is coached by former Cuse assistant Rob Murphy and counts former Syracuse player Da’Shonte Riley as their leading rebounder.
2. That Syracuse-EMU game also happens to be the only one of the night that features two teams above .500.
3. MEAC plays gets started! Defending champ Norfolk State heads to South Carolina State.
4. There are five teams — Tennessee Tech, Gardner-Webb, Jacksonville, VMI and McNeese State — playing non-Division I opponents. Will we see any upsets?
5. Long Beach State and Fresno State have now played twice in eight days after going 20 years without playing each other.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
Among the schools still in the running for this Top 100 prospect’s services is LSU.
Sep 18, 2014, 8:43 PM EDT
FGCU’s Sweet 16 run in 2013 paid off in a big way for the athletic department.
Sep 18, 2014, 7:04 PM EDT
Mizzou Arena’s just ten years old, but the school has found some areas that need renovating.
Sep 18, 2014, 5:52 PM EDT
Freeberg makes the move from the College of Charleston to The Citadel, with J.D. Powell headed in the opposite direction.
Sep 18, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
Calipari tweeted that if the coaches gained an advantage from helping revitalize USA Basketball he “doesn’t begrudge them in the least.”
Sep 18, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
An important member in a 2015 class lacking guards has set a decision date.
Sep 18, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
John Calipari helped some campers waiting for Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness sleep a little easier by giving away a mattress and some pillows.
Sep 18, 2014, 1:08 PM EDT
Baylor will be without an incoming recruit for the 2014-15 season.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:56 AM EDT
Coach K responded to recent criticisms lobbied at him about unfair recruiting advantages as USA Basketball’s coach.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Providence is hoping a key member of its backcourt will be healthy this season after two straight years with a shoulder injury.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
One five-star prospect heard a recruiting pitch centered on LeBron James’ homecoming to Cleveland.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:10 AM EDT
Vince Carter highlight reels are still the best.
Sep 17, 2014, 11:25 PM EDT
With Isaiah Briscoe moving on to the college ranks next summer, Duval could be the next elite guard produced by the Playaz Basketball Club.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
Last year’s Hoops on the Haasephalt event attracted nearly 4,000 fans on the UAB campus.
Sep 17, 2014, 8:26 PM EDT
Despite rumors to the contrary, one of the best players in the Class of 2015 is 100 percent committed to attending LSU next year.
Sep 17, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
“The Grateful Red” snapped up every available ticket within five minutes Wednesday morning.
Sep 17, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
The Nittany Lions return five of their top six scorers from a team that finished the 2013-14 season with a 16-18 record (6-12 Big Ten).
Sep 17, 2014, 4:04 PM EDT
Jim Boeheim is not one to bite his tongue around the media.
Sep 17, 2014, 3:16 PM EDT
Tucker is a powerful dunker at 6-foot-4
Sep 17, 2014, 1:43 PM EDT
Is Oliver Purnell is tapping into a D.C. pipeline?
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)