Dec 4, 2012, 1:02 PM EDT
Four teams travel to New York City Tuesday night, having taken different paths to get there and holding different outlooks for their respective 2012-13 seasons:
– No. 25 NC State was dubbed a Final Four contender in the preseason, but two early losses have the Wolfpack as a fringe Top-25 team one month into the season.
– No. 15 Georgetown has been one of the most quickly rising stocks in the country after a strong performance at the Legends Classic in Brooklyn, but the Hoyas hope an unimpressive 37-36 win over Tennessee last week is just a fluke.
– Connecticut, under the direction of new head coach Kevin Ollie, is playing with house money after being disqualified from postseason play this season, but is off to a strong start. An early win over Michigan State helped the cause.
– And Texas, without point guard Myck Kabongo as he continues to sort out NCAA eligibility issues, had a disappointing trip to Maui, but enters the Jimmy V Classic on a three-game winning streak.
Check out NBCSports.com’s preview of the Jimmy V Classic below:
Player to Watch: Otto Porter, Georgetown
Georgetown coach John Thompson III has had nothing but praise for Porter since he fully returned from injury in the Legends Classic in mid-November. Porter has been the type of versatile player that the Hoyas need to fill in the gaps in the stat sheet. He is averaging 11.6 points, 7.4 rebounds, and 3.2 assists per game. He was just 4-of-11 from the field against Tennessee, but look for Texas to key in on him Tuesday night.
Match-up to Watch: Lorenzo Brown vs. Shabazz Napier, NC State vs. Connecticut
Napier weathered the storm of transfers and NCAA issues that plagued the Huskies in the offseason and has responded by having the best season of his career so far in 2012-13. Averaging 18.6 points per game, he’ll have met his match Tuesday night against NC State’s Brown.
Many would argue that Brown is a Top 10 point guard in the country, and for good reason. His scoring and field goal percentage is down from last season, but he continues to distribute the basketball with six assists per game.
Predictions: No. 15 Georgetown over Texas, No. 25 NC State over Connecticut
With Texas still missing Kabongo, it’s difficult to take the Longhorns over a team like Georgetown that is so steadily on the upswing. Yes, Georgetown had an ugly, ugly 37-36 win over Tennessee last week, but Porter, along with Greg Whittington and Markel Starks, should be able to get back to Legends Classic form Tuesday night.
NC State’s two losses this season have come to teams that are currently ranked nationally—Oklahoma State and Michigan. I really like what freshman T.J. Warren has been able to bring to the table (15.3 points per game), especially considering the fact that he was overshadowed in the offseason by talks about fellow freshman Rodney Purvis.
Connecticut is solid, but their lack of rebounding could come to bite them against NC State and inside presences like Richard Howell and C.J. Leslie. Napier and Boatright will have to continue to be the engine behind the Huskies’ attack if they want to get the win.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:05 PM EDT
The Bulldogs are guaranteed games against five NCAA tournament teams and could play more based upon what happens in the Battle 4 Atlantis.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:56 PM EDT
Virginia is trying to figure out the academic situation of Mamadi Diakite, who might enroll in 2015.
Sep 3, 2015, 6:51 PM EDT
This comes less than a month after AD Norwood Teague stepped down for his own alleged sexual misconduct.
Sep 3, 2015, 5:22 PM EDT
Joe Struggs, who didn’t enroll until last month, has been dealing with issues with both of his shins.
Sep 3, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT
This year’s Terrapins will look to match what Dixon, Steve Blake and company accomplished just over 13 years ago.
Sep 3, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
Jalen Johnson is one of the best in-game dunkers in the Class of 2016.
Sep 3, 2015, 1:20 PM EDT
The Atlantic 10 released its full conference schedule. The league has 33 games on NBCSN this season.
Sep 3, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Michigan State saw the newly-renovated practice facility when they arrived back from a trip to Italy.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
Josh Jackson won back-to-back MVP awards at the Under Armour Elite 24.
Sep 2, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
With two seniors in their current front court, adding a big man helps North Carolina moving forward.
Sep 2, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
Mullin threw out the first pitch at a Yankees game back in late-May.
Sep 2, 2015, 6:15 PM EDT
The men’s basketball freshmen will meet in New York City September 12 & 13.
Sep 2, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The ACC is loaded this year, which will make for a fun conference schedule.
Sep 2, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Mississippi guard Tyson Carter is one of the biggest stock risers of July.
Sep 2, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Two in the Arkansas forgery case pleaded not guilty.
Sep 2, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
Josh Jackson and Harry Giles are staying on top of the Rivals150 in the Class of 2016.
Sep 2, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
The American has some talented teams entering the 2015-16 race.
Sep 2, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
Randy Kennedy returns in a new season ticket ad for Ole Miss.
Sep 2, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
Jalen Rose isn’t done telling the story of the Fab Five. A new book is reportedly coming.
Sep 2, 2015, 9:50 AM EDT
Siyani Chambers is leaving Harvard for the year after a torn ACL.
- Jalen Rose planning a book about the Fab Five 2
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 1
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1