Dec 4, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
Each day, CollegeBasketballTalk brings you the “Pregame Shootaround,” which will be posted at 2 p.m. ET and lay out a preview for the slate of games that night. We’ll take a look at some key match-ups and important games, as well as make some predictions and point out what you need to watch for. Take a look below at today’s edition:
Note: The weekend editions of Pregame Shootaround will be published half an hour prior to tip-off of the day’s first game.
Game of the Day: No. 25 NC State vs. Connecticut
Mark Gottfried will square off against first-year coach Kevin Ollie in the second game of Tuesday’s doubleheader at the Jimmy V Classic in New York City. We take a deeper look at this match-up in the Jimmy V preview, which you can read here, but for a pretty solid Tuesday slate, this one stands out.
The point guard match-up of Lorenzo Brown and Shabazz Napier/Ryan Boatright will be one to keep an eye on, but also watch for the impact of NC State freshman T.J. Warren. The athletic wing is leading the Wolfpack in scoring and they’ll look to him again Tuesday night. Also look for Richard Howell to work down low, averaging 14.8 points and 7.2 rebounds per game.
If Howell, along with forward C.J. Leslie, is going to be a focal point, Connecticut’s Tyler Olander and DeAndre Daniels will have their hands full.
Who’s getting upset?: No. 14 Minnesota against South Dakota State
Nate Wolters has been the darling of mid-major fanatics since last season, and there aren’t many games on tonight’s schedule that could make for a good upset pick. Because of that, let’s see what Wolters and the Jackrabbits can do. Minnesota is a good rebounding team, which will be tough for SDSU, but Wolters and his nearly 21 points per game should give them a chance Tuesday night. According to recent reports, though, Wolters turned his ankle in practice and is questionable for tonight’s game.
If an upset is going to happen, the Jackrabbits need to keep guard Andre Hollins under control. He has the ability to go off for 40 points, as he showed earlier this season against Memphis.
Mid-Major Match-Up of the Day: Lipscomb vs. Belmont
The Battle of the Boulevard is one of the most underrated rivalries in college hoops. The two schools are separated by just over two miles and have already met once this season, an 89-60 Belmont victory. Lipscomb (3-3) looks for revenge behind sophomore Malcolm Smith and his 14.0 points per game.
Expect Belmont’s duo of Ian Clark and Kerron Johnson to carry the Bruins. The two together average over 30 points per game.
Five Things to Watch For:
1) No. 5 Louisville is taking on a Charleston team Tuesday night that beat Baylor earlier this season. Baylor defeated Kentucky over the weekend, suggesting that C of C might pack some punch. Andrew Lawrence leads the way with 14 points per game.
2) Without Myck Kabongo in the lineup, sophomore Sheldon McClellan has had to step up. He’s averaging 17 points per game this season, but against Georgetown, Markel Starks could match him. Consistency has been the biggest issue for Starks, but watch that match-up.
3) Coach Mike Anderson’s son, Michael, Jr., was suspended from his role as the team’s video coordinator after being arrested for DWI. The Razorbacks take the court for the first time since that incident over the weekend Tuesday night against Oklahoma.
4) Delaware has gone up against one of the toughest schedules in the country for a mid-major to begin the season. They’re 2-6, but have played Kansas State, Pitt, Temple, and Duke. They have a very winnable game Tuesday against Radford. Jamelle Hagins is a double-double machine.
5) No. 21 UNLV responded to its first loss of the season against Oregon with three straight double-digit victories. They take on Portland Tuesday night.
The Rest of the Top 25:
No. 3 Michigan vs. Western Michigan
No. 5 Louisville vs. Charleston
No. 8 Arizona vs. Southern Miss
No. 12 Missouri vs. Southeast Missouri State
No. 13 Illinois vs. Western Carolina
No. 14 Minnesota vs. South Dakota State
No. 15 Georgetown vs. Texas
No. 21 UNLV vs. Portland
No. 25 NC State vs. Connecticut
Other Notable Games:
Oklahoma vs. Arkansas
Samford vs. Kentucky
Northwestern vs. Baylor
Georgia vs. Georgia Tech
Siena vs. St. Bonaventure (NBC Sports Network)
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)