Dec 4, 2012, 5:02 PM EDT
You may not have noticed, as it has been a while since both the Buffaloes and the Rams were nationally — even regionally — relevant at the same time, but the rivalry between Colorado and Colorado State is a feisty one.
Colorado leads the all-time series 83-37, but CSU has won two of the last three and four of the last seven games, including last season.
And while losing to a rival will irk anyone, what really got under the Buffaloes skin was that Ram fans rushed the court after a 65-64 win last year.
Enter Spencer Dinwiddie, Colorado’s leading scorer this season:
“It was a one-point game last year and they rushed the court,” CU guard Spencer Dinwiddie said. “They showed how much it meant to them to beat us.”
Asked about the irritation level CU had with Rams fans rushing the court, Dinwiddie deadpanned, “A little bit” before going further.
“You just kind of see when the little brother beats the big brother once, then they are going to be happy, they are going to rush the court,” Dinwiddie said. “When we win tomorrow night, I don’t think our fans are going to do that.”
It sounds like there is some bad blood between these two teams, and with both teams playing like they belong in the top 25 and competing for their respective league titles, Wednesday’s game, which tips at 10:30 ET in Boulder, will be must-see TV.
I’ll be scouring the internet to see which Ram player responds with a joke about Dinwiddie’s mustache.
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Contender for No. 1 in 2016 class, Harry Giles, cuts list to five 10
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)