Dec 4, 2012, 5:02 PM EDT
You may not have noticed, as it has been a while since both the Buffaloes and the Rams were nationally — even regionally — relevant at the same time, but the rivalry between Colorado and Colorado State is a feisty one.
Colorado leads the all-time series 83-37, but CSU has won two of the last three and four of the last seven games, including last season.
And while losing to a rival will irk anyone, what really got under the Buffaloes skin was that Ram fans rushed the court after a 65-64 win last year.
Enter Spencer Dinwiddie, Colorado’s leading scorer this season:
“It was a one-point game last year and they rushed the court,” CU guard Spencer Dinwiddie said. “They showed how much it meant to them to beat us.”
Asked about the irritation level CU had with Rams fans rushing the court, Dinwiddie deadpanned, “A little bit” before going further.
“You just kind of see when the little brother beats the big brother once, then they are going to be happy, they are going to rush the court,” Dinwiddie said. “When we win tomorrow night, I don’t think our fans are going to do that.”
It sounds like there is some bad blood between these two teams, and with both teams playing like they belong in the top 25 and competing for their respective league titles, Wednesday’s game, which tips at 10:30 ET in Boulder, will be must-see TV.
I’ll be scouring the internet to see which Ram player responds with a joke about Dinwiddie’s mustache.
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 0
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)