Dec 4, 2012, 5:02 PM EDT
You may not have noticed, as it has been a while since both the Buffaloes and the Rams were nationally — even regionally — relevant at the same time, but the rivalry between Colorado and Colorado State is a feisty one.
Colorado leads the all-time series 83-37, but CSU has won two of the last three and four of the last seven games, including last season.
And while losing to a rival will irk anyone, what really got under the Buffaloes skin was that Ram fans rushed the court after a 65-64 win last year.
Enter Spencer Dinwiddie, Colorado’s leading scorer this season:
“It was a one-point game last year and they rushed the court,” CU guard Spencer Dinwiddie said. “They showed how much it meant to them to beat us.”
Asked about the irritation level CU had with Rams fans rushing the court, Dinwiddie deadpanned, “A little bit” before going further.
“You just kind of see when the little brother beats the big brother once, then they are going to be happy, they are going to rush the court,” Dinwiddie said. “When we win tomorrow night, I don’t think our fans are going to do that.”
It sounds like there is some bad blood between these two teams, and with both teams playing like they belong in the top 25 and competing for their respective league titles, Wednesday’s game, which tips at 10:30 ET in Boulder, will be must-see TV.
I’ll be scouring the internet to see which Ram player responds with a joke about Dinwiddie’s mustache.
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (3)