Dec 4, 2012, 5:02 PM EST
You may not have noticed, as it has been a while since both the Buffaloes and the Rams were nationally — even regionally — relevant at the same time, but the rivalry between Colorado and Colorado State is a feisty one.
Colorado leads the all-time series 83-37, but CSU has won two of the last three and four of the last seven games, including last season.
And while losing to a rival will irk anyone, what really got under the Buffaloes skin was that Ram fans rushed the court after a 65-64 win last year.
Enter Spencer Dinwiddie, Colorado’s leading scorer this season:
“It was a one-point game last year and they rushed the court,” CU guard Spencer Dinwiddie said. “They showed how much it meant to them to beat us.”
Asked about the irritation level CU had with Rams fans rushing the court, Dinwiddie deadpanned, “A little bit” before going further.
“You just kind of see when the little brother beats the big brother once, then they are going to be happy, they are going to rush the court,” Dinwiddie said. “When we win tomorrow night, I don’t think our fans are going to do that.”
It sounds like there is some bad blood between these two teams, and with both teams playing like they belong in the top 25 and competing for their respective league titles, Wednesday’s game, which tips at 10:30 ET in Boulder, will be must-see TV.
I’ll be scouring the internet to see which Ram player responds with a joke about Dinwiddie’s mustache.
- Bubble Banter: Who will close out the regular season with a bid-earning win? 0
- Harvard wraps up third consecutive NCAA tournament berth (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend Preview: The regular season comes to a close 1
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy 5
- Senior starters once again carry No. 15 Cincinnati 0
- Doug McDermott’s career still missing most important part: His One Shining Moment 0
- Bryce Cotton, Providence’s marathon man, looking to lead the Friars on a run to the NCAA tournament 0
- Undefeated regular season says all we need to know about No. 2 Wichita State (9)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Finally at full strength, Michigan State sleepwalks through loss to Illinois (6)
- Kentucky hits rock bottom, loses at South Carolina (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)