Dec 4, 2012, 9:30 AM EST
Rick Majerus coached at Utah for 14 seasons and now, after news of his passing, the university will honor the man who led its program to 11 NCAA tournament appearances.
Athletic director Chris Hill announced Monday that the school will be hanging a signature white Majerus sweater from the rafters at the Utes’ home arena to commemorate the longtime coach’s life and work at the university.
The team will also hold a moment of silence before its next home game and players will wear black patches on their jerseys in his honor, Hill said.
“Rick left a lasting legacy at the University of Utah, not only for his incredible success and the national prominence he brought to our basketball program, but also for the tremendous impact he made on the young men who were fortunate enough to play on his teams,” Hill said in a statement after Majerus’ passing.
“His standard of excellence extended beyond the basketball court and into the academic and personal success of his players. He will be deeply missed and we grieve for his family and all of his friends.”
In his time with Utah, Majerus amassed an overall record of 323-95, including 11 NCAA tournament appearances, two Sweet 16 berths (1991, 1996), one Elite Eight (1997), and one appearance in the national title game (1998).
He passed away Saturday at the age of 64.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)