Dec 4, 2012, 9:30 AM EST
Rick Majerus coached at Utah for 14 seasons and now, after news of his passing, the university will honor the man who led its program to 11 NCAA tournament appearances.
Athletic director Chris Hill announced Monday that the school will be hanging a signature white Majerus sweater from the rafters at the Utes’ home arena to commemorate the longtime coach’s life and work at the university.
The team will also hold a moment of silence before its next home game and players will wear black patches on their jerseys in his honor, Hill said.
“Rick left a lasting legacy at the University of Utah, not only for his incredible success and the national prominence he brought to our basketball program, but also for the tremendous impact he made on the young men who were fortunate enough to play on his teams,” Hill said in a statement after Majerus’ passing.
“His standard of excellence extended beyond the basketball court and into the academic and personal success of his players. He will be deeply missed and we grieve for his family and all of his friends.”
In his time with Utah, Majerus amassed an overall record of 323-95, including 11 NCAA tournament appearances, two Sweet 16 berths (1991, 1996), one Elite Eight (1997), and one appearance in the national title game (1998).
He passed away Saturday at the age of 64.
- Why Duke’s road win at Virginia was so shocking 3
- Briante Weber suffers season-ending knee injury in No. 14 VCU’s loss to Richmond 0
- No. 4 Duke ends No. 2 Virginia’s unbeaten season 1
- Foul line, offensive rebounding aid No. 13 Louisville’s comeback effort 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 4 Duke rebounds to beat No. 2 Virginia, and No. 8 Notre Dame falls 0
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 1
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)
- Jerian Grant turns back fans trying to storm the floor after Duke win (GIF) (4)