Dec 4, 2012, 9:30 AM EDT
Rick Majerus coached at Utah for 14 seasons and now, after news of his passing, the university will honor the man who led its program to 11 NCAA tournament appearances.
Athletic director Chris Hill announced Monday that the school will be hanging a signature white Majerus sweater from the rafters at the Utes’ home arena to commemorate the longtime coach’s life and work at the university.
The team will also hold a moment of silence before its next home game and players will wear black patches on their jerseys in his honor, Hill said.
“Rick left a lasting legacy at the University of Utah, not only for his incredible success and the national prominence he brought to our basketball program, but also for the tremendous impact he made on the young men who were fortunate enough to play on his teams,” Hill said in a statement after Majerus’ passing.
“His standard of excellence extended beyond the basketball court and into the academic and personal success of his players. He will be deeply missed and we grieve for his family and all of his friends.”
In his time with Utah, Majerus amassed an overall record of 323-95, including 11 NCAA tournament appearances, two Sweet 16 berths (1991, 1996), one Elite Eight (1997), and one appearance in the national title game (1998).
He passed away Saturday at the age of 64.
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)