Dec 5, 2012, 4:56 PM EST
BYU and Utah State have decided to postpone the game that was scheduled to be played tonight in the wake of what happened at an Aggie practice yesterday.
Danny Berger, a 6-foot-7 junior from Oregon, collapsed and had to be revived by CPR and an AED device. According to a statement put out by USU last night, Berger was in “stable, but criticial” condition, and it doesn’t appear as if much has changed in his condition since.
What has changed, however, is that the reported postponement of this intrastate rivalry has been made official.
For those that don’t know, the fanbases at BYU, Utah State and Utah don’t like each other, with students camping out for days in order to get tickets. When the Cougars visited Logan last season, USU fans spent three days in the cold to get tickets. BYU fans were two days into their wait when the game was postponed.
There are things in life that are more important than sports, and one of those things is the life of a teammate. Berger may be stabilized, but the fact that he remains in critical condition tells you that he’s still a long way from in the clear. Asking a team to play while one of their brothers — because, really, that’s what a college teammate is — is laid up in the hospital just 24 hours after watching his life get saved by a defibrillator is not only unfair, it’s simply not the right thing to do.
So kudos to BYU and Utah State for making the correct, and obvious, decision.
Our thoughts and prayers continue to go out to the Berger family at this time. Here’s to hoping for a happy and healthy conclusion.
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 1
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)