Dec 5, 2012, 4:56 PM EST
BYU and Utah State have decided to postpone the game that was scheduled to be played tonight in the wake of what happened at an Aggie practice yesterday.
Danny Berger, a 6-foot-7 junior from Oregon, collapsed and had to be revived by CPR and an AED device. According to a statement put out by USU last night, Berger was in “stable, but criticial” condition, and it doesn’t appear as if much has changed in his condition since.
What has changed, however, is that the reported postponement of this intrastate rivalry has been made official.
For those that don’t know, the fanbases at BYU, Utah State and Utah don’t like each other, with students camping out for days in order to get tickets. When the Cougars visited Logan last season, USU fans spent three days in the cold to get tickets. BYU fans were two days into their wait when the game was postponed.
There are things in life that are more important than sports, and one of those things is the life of a teammate. Berger may be stabilized, but the fact that he remains in critical condition tells you that he’s still a long way from in the clear. Asking a team to play while one of their brothers — because, really, that’s what a college teammate is — is laid up in the hospital just 24 hours after watching his life get saved by a defibrillator is not only unfair, it’s simply not the right thing to do.
So kudos to BYU and Utah State for making the correct, and obvious, decision.
Our thoughts and prayers continue to go out to the Berger family at this time. Here’s to hoping for a happy and healthy conclusion.
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 0
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 0
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)