Dec 5, 2012, 3:32 PM EDT
It might not be as groundbreaking as Louisville’s recent move from the Big East to the ACC, but Wednesday afternoon, the Western Athletic Conference announced that it would be adding Chicago State to its conference, effective July 1, 2013.
“We are pleased to welcome Chicago State University to the WAC family,” WAC Interim Commissioner Jeff Hurd said in a statement. “As the Western Athletic Conference continues to evolve, we look forward to their contributions including the addition of another large media market to our league. We are also thrilled to be able to provide Chicago State with many more championship opportunities for their student-athletes.”
Chicago State is currently a member of the Great West, a conference that also including Utah Valley, Houston Baptist, Texas-Pan American, and NJIT. The Cougars are 2-7 so far in 2012-13 after finishing 4-26 last season.
The WAC has been in a state of major transitions over the past few seasons, having lost San Jose State and Utah State to the Mountain West, along with Louisiana Tech and UT-San Antonio to Conference USA. Texas State and UT-Arlington also defected, having moved to the Sun Belt. Idaho also took its basketball program to the Big Sky, while Denver to the Summit League.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 3
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)