Dec 5, 2012, 3:32 PM EDT
It might not be as groundbreaking as Louisville’s recent move from the Big East to the ACC, but Wednesday afternoon, the Western Athletic Conference announced that it would be adding Chicago State to its conference, effective July 1, 2013.
“We are pleased to welcome Chicago State University to the WAC family,” WAC Interim Commissioner Jeff Hurd said in a statement. “As the Western Athletic Conference continues to evolve, we look forward to their contributions including the addition of another large media market to our league. We are also thrilled to be able to provide Chicago State with many more championship opportunities for their student-athletes.”
Chicago State is currently a member of the Great West, a conference that also including Utah Valley, Houston Baptist, Texas-Pan American, and NJIT. The Cougars are 2-7 so far in 2012-13 after finishing 4-26 last season.
The WAC has been in a state of major transitions over the past few seasons, having lost San Jose State and Utah State to the Mountain West, along with Louisiana Tech and UT-San Antonio to Conference USA. Texas State and UT-Arlington also defected, having moved to the Sun Belt. Idaho also took its basketball program to the Big Sky, while Denver to the Summit League.
- 2014 Big 12 Tournament Preview: This is going to be good 1
- 2014 Big East Tournament Preview: Can Villanova finally beat Creighton? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 4
- Bracketology: Florida in driver’s seat for overall No. 1 seed 4
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans 8
- Bubble Banter: Nebraska’s marquee win, St. Joseph’s problematic loss 0
- Turnovers help Ohio State beat No. 22 Michigan State in regular season finale 1
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (10)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (8)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)