Dec 5, 2012, 9:35 AM EDT
With Nate Wolters in the lineup, it looked like South Dakota State had some upset potential against No. 14 Minnesota Tuesday night.
Then news broke Tuesday afternoon that Wolters had rolled his ankle in practice and was questionable for his team’s match-up with the Gophers. Ultimately, he dressed but didn’t play, watching from the sidelines as the Jackrabbits were dismantled, 88-64.
“I didn’t care about the score, I just wanted to see us compete like I want us to compete,” SDSU coach Scott Nagy said after the game. “I think that the talk was that they believed they could play well, they believed that they could win, but they didn’t play like it, and that was my frustration.”
There was no official word after the game as to how long the injury would keep Wolters out of game action, but his absence Tuesday night was the first time he has sat out in nearly a year.
He last did not play on Dec. 12, 2011 against Dakota State.
“I have a lot of respect for South Dakota State, but I have a lot of respect for our players, the way they conducted themselves tonight as far as being disciplined,” said Minnesota coach Tubby Smith. “Nate Wolters is a very talented player and we wish him the best, hoping his ankle heals.”
As for the game itself, Minnesota guard Andre Hollins scored 22 points, including 6-of-7 shooting from three-point range. The team as a whole shot 57 percent from the field and 10-of-22 from distance.
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)