Dec 5, 2012, 9:35 AM EST
With Nate Wolters in the lineup, it looked like South Dakota State had some upset potential against No. 14 Minnesota Tuesday night.
Then news broke Tuesday afternoon that Wolters had rolled his ankle in practice and was questionable for his team’s match-up with the Gophers. Ultimately, he dressed but didn’t play, watching from the sidelines as the Jackrabbits were dismantled, 88-64.
“I didn’t care about the score, I just wanted to see us compete like I want us to compete,” SDSU coach Scott Nagy said after the game. “I think that the talk was that they believed they could play well, they believed that they could win, but they didn’t play like it, and that was my frustration.”
There was no official word after the game as to how long the injury would keep Wolters out of game action, but his absence Tuesday night was the first time he has sat out in nearly a year.
He last did not play on Dec. 12, 2011 against Dakota State.
“I have a lot of respect for South Dakota State, but I have a lot of respect for our players, the way they conducted themselves tonight as far as being disciplined,” said Minnesota coach Tubby Smith. “Nate Wolters is a very talented player and we wish him the best, hoping his ankle heals.”
As for the game itself, Minnesota guard Andre Hollins scored 22 points, including 6-of-7 shooting from three-point range. The team as a whole shot 57 percent from the field and 10-of-22 from distance.
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 1
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 0
- No. 11 Wichita State rallies from 11 down to beat Alabama thanks to Van Vleet (VIDEO) 0
- The Ten Most Important Midseason Additions 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: New faces are popping up in our top ten 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: There are now just nine teams without a loss 3
- Michigan’s process of adjusting to key personnel losses hasn’t been a smooth one 0
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Georgetown discusses becoming first college basketball team to wear ‘I Can’t Breathe’ T-shirts (PHOTO) (9)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (5)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (4)