Dec 5, 2012, 9:35 AM EDT
With Nate Wolters in the lineup, it looked like South Dakota State had some upset potential against No. 14 Minnesota Tuesday night.
Then news broke Tuesday afternoon that Wolters had rolled his ankle in practice and was questionable for his team’s match-up with the Gophers. Ultimately, he dressed but didn’t play, watching from the sidelines as the Jackrabbits were dismantled, 88-64.
“I didn’t care about the score, I just wanted to see us compete like I want us to compete,” SDSU coach Scott Nagy said after the game. “I think that the talk was that they believed they could play well, they believed that they could win, but they didn’t play like it, and that was my frustration.”
There was no official word after the game as to how long the injury would keep Wolters out of game action, but his absence Tuesday night was the first time he has sat out in nearly a year.
He last did not play on Dec. 12, 2011 against Dakota State.
“I have a lot of respect for South Dakota State, but I have a lot of respect for our players, the way they conducted themselves tonight as far as being disciplined,” said Minnesota coach Tubby Smith. “Nate Wolters is a very talented player and we wish him the best, hoping his ankle heals.”
As for the game itself, Minnesota guard Andre Hollins scored 22 points, including 6-of-7 shooting from three-point range. The team as a whole shot 57 percent from the field and 10-of-22 from distance.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)