Dec 5, 2012, 11:04 AM EST
Matt Fraschilla, the son of TV analyst and former college basketball coach Fran Fraschilla, has committed to Harvard, Dave Telep of ESPN.com is reporting.
Fraschilla attends Highland Park High School (Texas) and is a 5-10 point guard with a solid set of all-around skills. Clearly having learned from his father, the younger Fraschilla is a solid passer and low-to-the-ground point guard with strong ballhandling skills. He averaged 7.9 assists per game last season as a junior.
“I’m really grateful for the opportunity,” Fraschilla told Telep. “I started every game in high school. This will be kind of different, being a role player, so I just want to make everybody on the team better.”
For Harvard coach Tommy Amaker, Fraschilla becomes the third commit from the Class of 2013 for the Crimson. He joins forwards Hunter Myers and Zena Edosomwan in the class.
The elder Fraschilla coached college basketball for nine seasons at three different schools–Manhattan, St. John’s, and New Mexico. He amassed an overall record of 176-99 over that time, including making three total appearances in the NCAA tournament.
He now serves as an on-air college basketball commentator and analyst for ESPN. His son, James, plays college basketball at Oklahoma.
To see highlights of new Harvard commit Matt Fraschilla, check out the video below:
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)