Dec 5, 2012, 8:00 AM EST
Tuesday night was a busy one for CBB enthusiasts. The Morning Mix is here to make sure you are adequately educated on all the happenings from the college basketball world.
Let’s hit the links.
Monday’s Top Games:
7:00 p.m. – No. 6 Florida @ Florida State
7:00 p.m. – Ohio @ Memphis
7:00 p.m. – Tennessee @ Virginia
7:30 p.m. – West Virginia vs. Marshall
8:00 p.m. – Arkansas-Pine Bluff @ No. 19 Michigan State
8:00 p.m. – North Texas @ Saint Louis
8:00 p.m. – Charlotte @ Davidson
8:05 p.m. – Saint Mary’s @ Drake
8:30 p.m. – Boise State @ Utah
9:00 p.m. – South Florida @ No. 23 Oklahoma State
9:00 p.m. – Penn State vs. La Salle (NBC Sports Network)
9:00 p.m. – Temple @ Villanova
9:00 p.m. – Dayton @ Alabama
10:30 p.m. – Colorado State @ Coloado
10:00 p.m. – USC @ No. 18 New Mexico
11:00 p.m. – No. 10 Gonzaga @ Washington State
Picture of the Day:
UCLA students had no interest in attending the Bruin’s make-up exhibition game against Cal State San Marcos (From @SamStrong)
Read of the Day:
Rumors regarding the personal life of Villanova head coach Jay Wright took over twitter yesterday. VUHoops.com dispells all thoughts and notions that Jay Wright will step down as head coach of the Wildcats (VUHoops.com)
– Highly-touted big-man Karl Towns annouced his intetions to reclasify to 2014 and will attend Kentucky. The St. Joseph’s High School star player for John Calipari on the Dominican national team this summer.(New jersey Hoops Haven)
– Utah State guard Danny Berger collapsed during practice yesterday. He was revived on the court but taken to the hospital in critical condition (Salt Lake Tribune)
– Speaking of Utah State, their game against BYU scheduled for later today has been postponed (Deseret News)
– Tulsa Athletic Director Ross Parmley has been fired becuase of his involvement in a federal gambling probe (The Oklahoman)
Observations & Insight:
– Arizona’s Mark Lyons has been struggling recently, and it hit rock bottom last night, as he went 0-7 from the field. Luckily, the Wildcats persevered enough to defeat Southern Mississippi 63-65 (Arizona Daily Star)
– San Francisco moved to 5-1 after defeating St. John’s last night 81-65. The Dons saw seven players leave the program over the off-season. (Rumble in the Garden)
– Minnesota got a strong with over South Dakota State last night and it looks like Tubby Smith has a sqaud that can compete late into March (ESPN)
– Georgetown had serious roster turnove in the off-season thanks to graduation and NBA early entry. But despite an inexperienced starting lineup, the Hoyas have staying power (ESPN)
– San Diego State head coach Steve Fisher is not pleased with the number of technical fouls his team has already recieved (San Diego Union Tribune)
– A week ago, people had concerns about North Carolina State. But after a strong showing in the second half against UConn lsat night, the Wolfpack seem to be headed in the right direction (Sports Illustrated)
– Deandre Daniels was a highly touted recruit out of high school and has shown flashes now that he has a chance to log serious minutes for UConn. But head coach Kevin Ollie still thinks Daniels needs to step up (SNY.tv)
– Northwestern got a huge road victory over a Baylor team that just broke Kentucky’s 55-game home winning streak (The Dagger)
– A bunch of good uniform updates here from ESPN’s Uni Watch (ESPN)
Dunk of the Day:
Anthony Bennett may only be a freshman, but he knows how to finish a game
Do you like the new Morning Mix? Hate it? Have a suggestion or wanted something featured? Troy Machir will take all your praise, insults and inquiries via Twitter (@TroyMachir)
Jan 28, 2015, 11:17 AM EST
A thrilling top ten battle highlights the night.
Jan 28, 2015, 10:25 AM EST
You know what Michigan doesn’t need? More injuries.
Jan 28, 2015, 9:16 AM EST
We have heard Renardo Sidney say he is a changed man before. He explains why a two-year hiatus from basketball has changed him.
Late Night Snacks: Florida, Xavier, West Virginia earn good road wins; VCU rolls past George Washington
Jan 27, 2015, 11:35 PM EST
Xavier and West Virginia earned nice conference road wins while VCU rolled over George Washington.
Jan 27, 2015, 11:16 PM EST
Florida needed this win badly. Dorian Finney-Smith dunked them there.
Jan 27, 2015, 10:55 PM EST
Wyoming’s Riley Grabau banked in a buzzer-beater from long distance to end the first half against Utah State.
Jan 27, 2015, 10:15 PM EST
Virginia Tech’s Adam Smith is Tuesday night’s hero.
Jan 27, 2015, 7:15 PM EST
South Florida is still without its most productive player after after he went into the hospital with chest pains this weekend.
Jan 27, 2015, 6:00 PM EST
Colorado gets another guard in the 2016 class.
Akron to play second-annual ‘Purple Out’ in purple uniforms to help raise pancreatic cancer awareness
Jan 27, 2015, 5:00 PM EST
Akron is having its second-annual “Purple Out” against Ball State to help raise pancreatic cancer awareness.
Jan 27, 2015, 4:00 PM EST
You sometimes forget just how good some of the Duke guards were throughout the years. Here’s a reminder.
Jan 27, 2015, 3:33 PM EST
Hugh Greenwood made headlines last week for responding to an online troll.
Jan 27, 2015, 2:16 PM EST
Coach K is the best.
Jan 27, 2015, 1:40 PM EST
It should be an entertaining night for college hoops.
Jan 27, 2015, 12:00 PM EST
Can you guess who the most important player in program history was?
Jan 27, 2015, 10:59 AM EST
Justice started seven games this season.
Jan 27, 2015, 9:16 AM EST
DePaul may have to reschedule their trip to Providence.
Jan 26, 2015, 11:45 PM EST
North Carolina and Iowa State earned conference home wins on Monday night.
Jan 26, 2015, 11:22 PM EST
Iowa State bounced back from a loss against Texas Tech with a big home win over Texas.
Jan 26, 2015, 10:00 PM EST
UCLA should get a boost in practice with the addition of a four-star freshman forward to its roster.
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)