Dec 5, 2012, 8:00 AM EST
Tuesday night was a busy one for CBB enthusiasts. The Morning Mix is here to make sure you are adequately educated on all the happenings from the college basketball world.
Let’s hit the links.
Monday’s Top Games:
7:00 p.m. – No. 6 Florida @ Florida State
7:00 p.m. – Ohio @ Memphis
7:00 p.m. – Tennessee @ Virginia
7:30 p.m. – West Virginia vs. Marshall
8:00 p.m. – Arkansas-Pine Bluff @ No. 19 Michigan State
8:00 p.m. – North Texas @ Saint Louis
8:00 p.m. – Charlotte @ Davidson
8:05 p.m. – Saint Mary’s @ Drake
8:30 p.m. – Boise State @ Utah
9:00 p.m. – South Florida @ No. 23 Oklahoma State
9:00 p.m. – Penn State vs. La Salle (NBC Sports Network)
9:00 p.m. – Temple @ Villanova
9:00 p.m. – Dayton @ Alabama
10:30 p.m. – Colorado State @ Coloado
10:00 p.m. – USC @ No. 18 New Mexico
11:00 p.m. – No. 10 Gonzaga @ Washington State
Picture of the Day:
UCLA students had no interest in attending the Bruin’s make-up exhibition game against Cal State San Marcos (From @SamStrong)
Read of the Day:
Rumors regarding the personal life of Villanova head coach Jay Wright took over twitter yesterday. VUHoops.com dispells all thoughts and notions that Jay Wright will step down as head coach of the Wildcats (VUHoops.com)
– Highly-touted big-man Karl Towns annouced his intetions to reclasify to 2014 and will attend Kentucky. The St. Joseph’s High School star player for John Calipari on the Dominican national team this summer.(New jersey Hoops Haven)
- Utah State guard Danny Berger collapsed during practice yesterday. He was revived on the court but taken to the hospital in critical condition (Salt Lake Tribune)
- Speaking of Utah State, their game against BYU scheduled for later today has been postponed (Deseret News)
- Tulsa Athletic Director Ross Parmley has been fired becuase of his involvement in a federal gambling probe (The Oklahoman)
Observations & Insight:
– Arizona’s Mark Lyons has been struggling recently, and it hit rock bottom last night, as he went 0-7 from the field. Luckily, the Wildcats persevered enough to defeat Southern Mississippi 63-65 (Arizona Daily Star)
- San Francisco moved to 5-1 after defeating St. John’s last night 81-65. The Dons saw seven players leave the program over the off-season. (Rumble in the Garden)
- Minnesota got a strong with over South Dakota State last night and it looks like Tubby Smith has a sqaud that can compete late into March (ESPN)
- Georgetown had serious roster turnove in the off-season thanks to graduation and NBA early entry. But despite an inexperienced starting lineup, the Hoyas have staying power (ESPN)
- San Diego State head coach Steve Fisher is not pleased with the number of technical fouls his team has already recieved (San Diego Union Tribune)
- A week ago, people had concerns about North Carolina State. But after a strong showing in the second half against UConn lsat night, the Wolfpack seem to be headed in the right direction (Sports Illustrated)
- Deandre Daniels was a highly touted recruit out of high school and has shown flashes now that he has a chance to log serious minutes for UConn. But head coach Kevin Ollie still thinks Daniels needs to step up (SNY.tv)
- Northwestern got a huge road victory over a Baylor team that just broke Kentucky’s 55-game home winning streak (The Dagger)
- A bunch of good uniform updates here from ESPN’s Uni Watch (ESPN)
Dunk of the Day:
Anthony Bennett may only be a freshman, but he knows how to finish a game
Do you like the new Morning Mix? Hate it? Have a suggestion or wanted something featured? Troy Machir will take all your praise, insults and inquiries via Twitter (@TroyMachir)
Dec 19, 2014, 8:59 PM EST
The senior forward is apparently playing for the Wisconsin Bearcats.
Dec 19, 2014, 7:30 PM EST
Villanova is off to another good start in the regular season, but heading into the New Year, the Wildcats will need to rack up the wins in postseason play.
Dec 19, 2014, 6:49 PM EST
The SMU forward missed the first 10 games.
Dec 19, 2014, 6:15 PM EST
The Gators could be shorthanded once again in Saturday’s non-conference contest with Wake Forest.
Dec 19, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
The Indiana sophomore was struck by a vehicle driven by a teammate back in November.
Dec 19, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
Antravious Simmons averaged 0.7 points and 0.7 rebounds as a redshirt freshman at VCU.
Dec 19, 2014, 3:27 PM EST
The Wildcats are on the road to take on one of Conference USA’s best teams in UTEP, and both No. 18 Miami and No. 20 St. John’s are in action as well.
Dec 19, 2014, 2:44 PM EST
Jordan Gathers had yet to play in a game this season after undergoing hip surgery in June.
Dec 19, 2014, 1:26 PM EST
Kansas State is one of many programs looking to land Semi Ojeleye, but all of their scholarships are accounted for currently.
Dec 19, 2014, 12:04 PM EST
Jones’ dunk on five-star forward Cody Riley is one of the best you’ll see this year.
Dec 19, 2014, 11:30 AM EST
When you talk Duke basketball in 2014-15, you start with Player of the Year candidate Jahlil Okafor, but there are plenty of other keys to Duke’s success as we get closer to the new year.
Dec 19, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
Patrick Cole has been suspended indefinitely.
Dec 19, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
Oklahoma-Washington, Ohio State-North Carolina and UCLA-Kentucky are just three of the marquee matchups.
Dec 19, 2014, 12:41 AM EST
Even with the win there are things Duke needs to improve upon, most notably the fact that they’ve committed 36 turnovers over the last two games.
Dec 18, 2014, 10:45 PM EST
Also of note was Ole Miss avoiding what would have been their fourth home loss of the season.
Dec 18, 2014, 8:44 PM EST
Jabari McGhee suffered the injury in Tennessee’s loss to NC State on Wednesday.
Dec 18, 2014, 7:09 PM EST
Branden Dawson is the team’s leading rebounder, as he’s grabbing 8.7 boards per contest.
Dec 18, 2014, 5:59 PM EST
Gaston Diedhiou was denied admission to Minnesota during the summer, and he is now eligible immediately after passing an English proficiency exam.
Dec 18, 2014, 5:08 PM EST
While the focus has been on the Aztecs’ shooting percentages, their ability to find quality looks has been a big reason why they’ve struggled.
Dec 18, 2014, 3:45 PM EST
When do we start counting Duke-UConn as a rivalry?
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Throwback Thursday: UConn ‘Shocks The World’ against Duke (VIDEO) 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Without Alex Poythress, No. 1 Kentucky’s offense looks comfortable in win over No. 21 North Carolina (4)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)