Dec 5, 2012, 1:06 PM EDT
Utah State junior Danny Berger remains in critical condition at a Utah hospital after collapsing and losing consciousness at practice Tuesday, the Associated Press is reporting.
Berger reportedly stopped breathing after he collapsed and emergency responders had to use a defibrillator to restart the process. The cause of the incident is unknown and tests continue at Intermountain Medical Center to determine what went wrong Tuesday afternoon.
“Everybody is in shock, and in awe of how it can happen to such a good guy,” said Karson Kalian of Utah State’s HURD student section, via the AP. “He is one of the hardest-working people on the court. He’s got a lot of determination and shows a lot of heart.”
In the wake of the incident, reports are that Wednesday night’s game between Utah State and BYU has been postponed.
Berger is in his second season at Utah State after transferring from Chemeketa (Ore.) Community College. He is a native of Medford, Ore., and through five games this season has averaged 7.6 points and 3.6 rebounds per game.
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 7
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 4
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)