Dec 5, 2012, 1:06 PM EDT
Utah State junior Danny Berger remains in critical condition at a Utah hospital after collapsing and losing consciousness at practice Tuesday, the Associated Press is reporting.
Berger reportedly stopped breathing after he collapsed and emergency responders had to use a defibrillator to restart the process. The cause of the incident is unknown and tests continue at Intermountain Medical Center to determine what went wrong Tuesday afternoon.
“Everybody is in shock, and in awe of how it can happen to such a good guy,” said Karson Kalian of Utah State’s HURD student section, via the AP. “He is one of the hardest-working people on the court. He’s got a lot of determination and shows a lot of heart.”
In the wake of the incident, reports are that Wednesday night’s game between Utah State and BYU has been postponed.
Berger is in his second season at Utah State after transferring from Chemeketa (Ore.) Community College. He is a native of Medford, Ore., and through five games this season has averaged 7.6 points and 3.6 rebounds per game.
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 0
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)
- Coach K: ‘I do not see an end of my road in my college coaching’ (1)