Dec 6, 2012, 11:51 PM EST
For the second time this week, a college basketball player collapsed during a team workout.
On Thursday, it was Creighton guard Josh Jones. About 35 minutes before tipping off against in-state rival Nebraska, Jones passed out.
“He blacked out before the game,” head coach Greg McDermott said after the game. “Obviously with his history and his heart, we’re going to be very cautious.”
That history that McDermott mentioned is serious. From the AP’s report:
Jones was diagnosed with a bacterial infection – infective endocarditis – early in his senior year at Omaha Central High School. He underwent open-heart surgery to replace his aortic valve with one formed from cow tissue.
He resumed playing basketball in December 2007 and hadn’t had any heart issues since.
There have been no immediate updates on Jones’ condition.
On Tuesday night, Utah State’s Danny Berger collapsed at practice and had to be revived; he was given CPR and a defibrillator was used on him. Berger is in critical but stable condition at a local hospital.
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 1
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)