Dec 7, 2012, 12:55 PM EDT
The Creighton Bluejays took care of business on Thursday night, beating Nebraska 64-42 in Lincoln, but plenty would understand if their minds and hearts were occupied with the status of teammate Josh Jones.
Jones passed out during pregame warmups some 35 minutes before the game, a frightening situation when considering his past heart issues.
According to a statement released by Creighton this morning, Jones’ condition has been stabilized and he’s being transported back to Omaha for more tests.
And to clear up any confusion, he is not hospitalized. He will get some rest for a few days and undergo some more tests next week.—
Coach McDermott (@cucoachmac) December 07, 2012
“Josh’s condition has stabilized and he is in the process of being transferred to Omaha for additional testing. His health is our number one priority right now, but he will be off the court until results of some further testing comes in. We appreciate the support and well-wishes from across the state and nation, and look forward to his return to health.” – Greg McDermott
“I want to let everyone know that I am in good spirits and doing well. The support from Bluejay nation has been overwhelming and proves what the Creighton family is all about.” – Josh Jones
Jones hasn’t had any heart issues since infective endocarditis led to open heart surgery to replace his aortic valve in October 2007, but as coach McDermott noted in his brief postgame comment Thursday night the history means that Creighton will exercise caution in dealing with Jones’ health issue.
Jones has been a valuable reserve for the Bluejays this season, averaging 7.0 points and 2.4 rebounds per game, but how much Creighton loses with him out of the rotation isn’t as important as his health.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)