Dec 7, 2012, 8:57 PM EDT
Scary moment took place at Utah State earlier this week, when junior forward Danny Berger collapsed and lost consciousness at practice on Tuesday.
According to reports, Berger had stopped breathing and emergency responders needed to use an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) to get Berger to start breathing again. On Wednesday, it was reported that Berger was in stable, but critical condition.
Ryan Gomes, the former Providence College standout and NBA forward – now playing overseas in Germany, is gaining praise from the Utah State faithful for helping save Berger’s life.
When Gomes was a teenager, playing AAU basketball, he watched a teammate die after collapsing during warm-ups. The death of Gomes teammate could have been prevented, if a defibrillator was available and used to restart his heart.
Gomes created Hoops for Heart Health in 2006 with its goal to put AEDs in recreation facilities around the country. On Friday afternoon, USUStats.com, a Utah State basketball fan site, thanked Gomes for helping save Berger’s life. According to USUStats.com, the device used to save Berger’s life was donated by Gomes and his foundation.
Under the “About Us” tab on the Hoops for Heart Health official website, reads a message from Gomes:
“I started Hoops For Heart Health to bring together the basketball community in order to raise awareness to the growing problem of Sudden Cardiac Arrest in student athletes. If we can save just one life, it makes all of our efforts worthwhile.”
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 1
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see (22)