Dec 7, 2012, 8:57 PM EST
Scary moment took place at Utah State earlier this week, when junior forward Danny Berger collapsed and lost consciousness at practice on Tuesday.
According to reports, Berger had stopped breathing and emergency responders needed to use an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) to get Berger to start breathing again. On Wednesday, it was reported that Berger was in stable, but critical condition.
Ryan Gomes, the former Providence College standout and NBA forward – now playing overseas in Germany, is gaining praise from the Utah State faithful for helping save Berger’s life.
When Gomes was a teenager, playing AAU basketball, he watched a teammate die after collapsing during warm-ups. The death of Gomes teammate could have been prevented, if a defibrillator was available and used to restart his heart.
Gomes created Hoops for Heart Health in 2006 with its goal to put AEDs in recreation facilities around the country. On Friday afternoon, USUStats.com, a Utah State basketball fan site, thanked Gomes for helping save Berger’s life. According to USUStats.com, the device used to save Berger’s life was donated by Gomes and his foundation.
Under the “About Us” tab on the Hoops for Heart Health official website, reads a message from Gomes:
“I started Hoops For Heart Health to bring together the basketball community in order to raise awareness to the growing problem of Sudden Cardiac Arrest in student athletes. If we can save just one life, it makes all of our efforts worthwhile.”
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy 0
- Senior starters once again lead the way for No. 15 Cincinnati 0
- Doug McDermott’s career still missing the most important part: His One Shining Moment 2
- Bryce Cotton, Providence’s marathon man, looking to lead the Friars on a run to the NCAA tournament 2
- Bubble Banter: Colorado, Dayton the day’s biggest winners 2
- After win at No. 18 SMU, No. 11 Louisville is once again peaking in March 0
- Wake Forest beats No. 4 Duke as Blue Devils struggle to score again 1
- Undefeated regular season says all we need to know about No. 2 Wichita State (9)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Finally at full strength, Michigan State sleepwalks through loss to Illinois (6)
- Kentucky hits rock bottom, loses at South Carolina (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)