Dec 7, 2012, 8:57 PM EST
Scary moment took place at Utah State earlier this week, when junior forward Danny Berger collapsed and lost consciousness at practice on Tuesday.
According to reports, Berger had stopped breathing and emergency responders needed to use an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) to get Berger to start breathing again. On Wednesday, it was reported that Berger was in stable, but critical condition.
Ryan Gomes, the former Providence College standout and NBA forward – now playing overseas in Germany, is gaining praise from the Utah State faithful for helping save Berger’s life.
When Gomes was a teenager, playing AAU basketball, he watched a teammate die after collapsing during warm-ups. The death of Gomes teammate could have been prevented, if a defibrillator was available and used to restart his heart.
Gomes created Hoops for Heart Health in 2006 with its goal to put AEDs in recreation facilities around the country. On Friday afternoon, USUStats.com, a Utah State basketball fan site, thanked Gomes for helping save Berger’s life. According to USUStats.com, the device used to save Berger’s life was donated by Gomes and his foundation.
Under the “About Us” tab on the Hoops for Heart Health official website, reads a message from Gomes:
“I started Hoops For Heart Health to bring together the basketball community in order to raise awareness to the growing problem of Sudden Cardiac Arrest in student athletes. If we can save just one life, it makes all of our efforts worthwhile.”
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 20
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- No. 13 Gonzaga makes definitive statement with blowout of No. 22 SMU 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (20)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)