Dec 7, 2012, 10:00 PM EDT
LSU announced today that sophomore point guard Anthony Hickey will be suspended indefinitely following violations of the athletic department and university policies.
“I know I have made mistakes and sometimes it takes mistakes in life to make you a better person,” Hickey said in a statement released by the LSU athletic department. “I’m not perfect and need to move forward and make better decisions. I know I have let my family down, my team down and LSU down. I will come out of this a much stronger individual. I pray to be back in my LSU uniform as soon as I can.”
Hickey, the 5-foot-11 starting point guard, was averaging 10.2 points, 5.2 assists, and 4.0 rebounds per game for the 5-o Tigers. LSU now loses a defensive presence in the backcourt, with Hickey leading the nation in steals at 4.4 per contest.
Head coach Johnny Jones said he will fully cooperate with the LSU Athletic Department regarding this suspension.
“There is a responsibility that comes with playing college basketball,” said Jones. “If a player doesn’t take care of his responsibilities, then he loses the privilege of being able to play. We look forward to continuing to focus on our upcoming game Tuesday and our three-game road trip that follows.”
The undefeated LSU team takes on Chattanogga on Tuesday, then hits the road for three games, ending with a match up against Marquette.
Randy Rosetta, of The Times Picayune speculated that his could be an academic-related issue, yet a university spokesperson said Hickey was suspended by the team and not the university. Rosetta also mentioned it is now becoming a habit for Hickey to be reprimanded by the team.
This is at least the third issue that has arisen with Hickey since the start of the season. He did not start the season opener or the fourth game of the season. Hickey said the punishment in both cases was for being late to mandatory study halls.
Freshman guard Corban Collins (2.2 points per game) has started the two games Hickey did not and will likely fill his role in the starting lineup.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)
- Buffalo dismisses Justin Moss, reigning MAC Player of the Year, from team (2)
- Syracuse legend to undergo surgery on a brain tumor this week (2)