Dec 7, 2012, 10:00 PM EDT
LSU announced today that sophomore point guard Anthony Hickey will be suspended indefinitely following violations of the athletic department and university policies.
“I know I have made mistakes and sometimes it takes mistakes in life to make you a better person,” Hickey said in a statement released by the LSU athletic department. “I’m not perfect and need to move forward and make better decisions. I know I have let my family down, my team down and LSU down. I will come out of this a much stronger individual. I pray to be back in my LSU uniform as soon as I can.”
Hickey, the 5-foot-11 starting point guard, was averaging 10.2 points, 5.2 assists, and 4.0 rebounds per game for the 5-o Tigers. LSU now loses a defensive presence in the backcourt, with Hickey leading the nation in steals at 4.4 per contest.
Head coach Johnny Jones said he will fully cooperate with the LSU Athletic Department regarding this suspension.
“There is a responsibility that comes with playing college basketball,” said Jones. “If a player doesn’t take care of his responsibilities, then he loses the privilege of being able to play. We look forward to continuing to focus on our upcoming game Tuesday and our three-game road trip that follows.”
The undefeated LSU team takes on Chattanogga on Tuesday, then hits the road for three games, ending with a match up against Marquette.
Randy Rosetta, of The Times Picayune speculated that his could be an academic-related issue, yet a university spokesperson said Hickey was suspended by the team and not the university. Rosetta also mentioned it is now becoming a habit for Hickey to be reprimanded by the team.
This is at least the third issue that has arisen with Hickey since the start of the season. He did not start the season opener or the fourth game of the season. Hickey said the punishment in both cases was for being late to mandatory study halls.
Freshman guard Corban Collins (2.2 points per game) has started the two games Hickey did not and will likely fill his role in the starting lineup.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 0
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)