Dec 7, 2012, 10:00 PM EDT
LSU announced today that sophomore point guard Anthony Hickey will be suspended indefinitely following violations of the athletic department and university policies.
“I know I have made mistakes and sometimes it takes mistakes in life to make you a better person,” Hickey said in a statement released by the LSU athletic department. “I’m not perfect and need to move forward and make better decisions. I know I have let my family down, my team down and LSU down. I will come out of this a much stronger individual. I pray to be back in my LSU uniform as soon as I can.”
Hickey, the 5-foot-11 starting point guard, was averaging 10.2 points, 5.2 assists, and 4.0 rebounds per game for the 5-o Tigers. LSU now loses a defensive presence in the backcourt, with Hickey leading the nation in steals at 4.4 per contest.
Head coach Johnny Jones said he will fully cooperate with the LSU Athletic Department regarding this suspension.
“There is a responsibility that comes with playing college basketball,” said Jones. “If a player doesn’t take care of his responsibilities, then he loses the privilege of being able to play. We look forward to continuing to focus on our upcoming game Tuesday and our three-game road trip that follows.”
The undefeated LSU team takes on Chattanogga on Tuesday, then hits the road for three games, ending with a match up against Marquette.
Randy Rosetta, of The Times Picayune speculated that his could be an academic-related issue, yet a university spokesperson said Hickey was suspended by the team and not the university. Rosetta also mentioned it is now becoming a habit for Hickey to be reprimanded by the team.
This is at least the third issue that has arisen with Hickey since the start of the season. He did not start the season opener or the fourth game of the season. Hickey said the punishment in both cases was for being late to mandatory study halls.
Freshman guard Corban Collins (2.2 points per game) has started the two games Hickey did not and will likely fill his role in the starting lineup.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:04 PM EDT
Elijah Bryant will have three years of eligibility remaining.
Jul 28, 2015, 8:43 PM EDT
The Arkansas forward was charged with one count of forgery last week.
Jul 28, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
The three-star forward failed to qualify earlier this month.
Jul 28, 2015, 6:21 PM EDT
Bobby Hurley off to a good start in his new gig in Tempe.
Jul 28, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Tai Wynyard of New Zealand is the only commit currently in Kentucky’s Class of 2016.
Jul 28, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
John Beilein gets his third commitment for 2016.
Jul 28, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
If you can do things like this, you can play for Duke or Kentucky.
Jul 28, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT
The accusations against him include burner phones, hiding IP addresses and his mother’s cell.
Jul 28, 2015, 2:35 PM EDT
Don’t jump, kid!!!!!!
Jul 28, 2015, 1:34 PM EDT
Abrams was projected as the starting point guard for Illinois.
Jul 28, 2015, 1:03 PM EDT
The Bulldogs aren’t guaranteed to play a top 25 team until SEC play.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT
He is talented, just don’t call him the next Kevin Durant.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT
Will Wade will have a beautiful facility to recruit to.
Jul 27, 2015, 9:28 PM EDT
First career 3-pointer for Jones?
Jul 27, 2015, 8:12 PM EDT
Potentially four top-25 teams will be in the 2015 field.
Jul 27, 2015, 5:51 PM EDT
Scott averaged 15.7 points per game for Grambling during the 2013-14 season.
Jul 27, 2015, 5:18 PM EDT
The former Big Ten Player of the Year (inaccurately) trolls Ohio State fans
Jul 27, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
It’s pretty obvious why people like Porter.
Jul 27, 2015, 2:17 PM EDT
Gabriel was the biggest stock riser for the month.
Jul 27, 2015, 1:51 PM EDT
Denzel Valentine and Taurean Waller-Prince also played well in stretches.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)