Dec 7, 2012, 2:41 PM EDT
Upon his signing with Ole Miss 6-8 power forward Jason Carter was a player many thought capable of having an immediate impact for the Rebels after playing at Chipola JC last season.
Unfortunately for Carter he got off to a bad start in Oxford, as head coach Andy Kennedy suspended him before the first exhibition game for a violation of team rules.
Carter was never reinstated, and on Friday Kennedy announced that the junior was dismissed from the program.
Along with Marshall Henderson (Utah), Carter was a junior college transfer who began his college career at another Division I school. Carter played 16 games at Alabama in 2010-11, averaging 6.0 minutes, 1.4 points and 1.8 rebounds per game before deciding to transfer to Chipola.
Possessing the ability to step out to the three-point line, Carter was a power forward expected to fill a role that the Rebels were lacking in last season.
Frankly Ole Miss will be fine in the aftermath of Carter’s dismissal, because as stated above he’d yet to play in a game due to the original suspension. There may be a question to answer in regards to their front court depth as the Rebels get closer to the start of SEC play, but Ole Miss does have four interior players who are at least 6-8.
Ole Miss will be tested on Saturday night when they take on Middle Tennessee but they could go without a serious challenge in the paint until their SEC opener against Tennessee on January 9.
With Henderson averaging a team-high 17.2 points per contest it would have been nice for both of Ole Miss’ junior college transfers to be productive. Unfortunately that didn’t turn to be the case for Jason Carter.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)