Dec 7, 2012, 6:08 PM EDT
Providence is in need of some help. The Friars only played with six scholarship players in Thursday’s 72-57 win over in-state rival, Rhode Island on Thursday night.
Ed Cooley and his Friars have 11 days before the team’s next game, Dec. 18 at home against Colgate. And according to the New London Day, one of Cooley’s star freshmen recruits, Kris Dunn will suit up and make his collegiate debut.
Dunn’s father, John Seldon told Gavin Keefe of New London Day, that doctor’s advised his son to sit out Wednesday’s game against URI, giving him another week to recover before taking the floor on Dec. 18.
“Definitely, he’s going to play against Colgate,” Seldon told The Day.
Dunn, a McDonald’s All-American, was sidelined in June after he needed surgery to fix an injured right shoulder, he suffered while training Under 18-Team USA in Colorado.
The injury took an even bigger hit in September when Cooley’s other top recruit, Ricky Ledo was ruled a partial qualifier this season, meaning he could practice not play. The Friar backcourt got even slimmer when senior Vincent Council went down with a hamstring injury in the season opener against NJIT.
Forward, Sidiki Johnson could also make his PC debut on Dec. 18. The 6-foot-8 forward had to sit out the first half of the season following a mid-season transfer from Arizona in January.
Dunn, considered one of the top point guards in the Class of 2012, will add a talented guard with good size at 6-foot-3. He did the majority of his damage in high school attacking the rim and was hoping to improve his shooting entering his freshman year. He likely took a step back following surgery on his shoulder six months ago.
Providence is 7-2, winning five straight games following Thursday’s win over URI.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)