Dec 7, 2012, 8:16 PM EDT
The college basketball world was rocked last Saturday whens news broke that former head coach Rick Majerus had passed away at the age of 64, after battling many health issues.
Since then, former homes for Majerus such as Utah and Marquette have paid their respects to the late coach. On Friday, Saint Louis, Majerus’ last coaching stint, honored him with a memorial service.
“His fingerprint is all over college basketball,” said Saint Louis interim head coach Jim Crews. “Everywhere you go, there he is.”
According to the Associated Press, hundreds attended the service at Chaifetz Pavilion on the Saint Louis campus. Photos of Majerus and players were featured throughout the pavilion, including plays Majerus would draw up on pieces of paper.
Majerus took over the Saint Louis program in 2007 and helped make the Billikens make the transition to the Atlantic 10 Conference. In five seasons, Majerus went 95-69, including an NCAA tournament appearance in 2012. In 25 seasons on the sidelines, Majerus complieda coaching record of 517-216, leading Utah to the Final Four in 1998.
Marquette will wear patches honoring Majerus, who served as an assistant to Al McGuire, later becoming the head coach in 1983. Utah, where Majerus won over 300 games, placed a sweater on the front seat of the bench for Majerus. The Utes beat Boise State 76-55.
“Family, friends, food, basketball, players – if that was involved Rick was singing and whistling a happy tune,” Crews told the AP. “It was always about people and that was what made Rick so special.”
The funeral for Majerus will take place on Saturday in Milwaukee.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
The top four players remain the same.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:19 PM EDT
The redshirt junior has not played since January 2014.
Jul 3, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
The rising sophomore was originally being blocked from transferring to 55 schools.
Jul 3, 2015, 6:08 PM EDT
Ohio State begins its 2017 class with a local product.
Jul 3, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson led USA Basketball with 17 points.
Jul 3, 2015, 3:03 PM EDT
Given Oregon’s many perimeter options, minutes were likely to be at a premium for Rorie in 2015-16.
Jul 3, 2015, 2:10 PM EDT
A lot of unranked players made their way into the top five in a surprisingly deep class.
Jul 3, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson led four Americans in double figures with 17 points.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Minnesota is one of four schools the 6-foot-10 center is reportedly considering.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
The lone school to host the Georgia native on an official visit is considered to be the favorite in this recruiting race.
Jul 2, 2015, 7:40 PM EDT
Oregon still has a date to fill (December 29), which the school expects to be filled by an in-state opponent.
Jul 2, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
This is nasty.
Jul 2, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
The Class of 2007 produced some very good players, including one who’s an NBA MVP and others who have developed into perennial all-stars.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:53 PM EDT
I’m a big fan of these, particularly the dark grey ones.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:43 PM EDT
Cell phone addiction is a national crisis.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:17 PM EDT
Can anyone guess what that moment is?
Jul 2, 2015, 10:09 AM EDT
This is something else.
Jul 2, 2015, 9:27 AM EDT
The Golden Bears should still be alright this season.
Jul 1, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
Dillard becomes Oklahoma State’s fourth addition to the program.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)