Dec 7, 2012, 8:16 PM EDT
The college basketball world was rocked last Saturday whens news broke that former head coach Rick Majerus had passed away at the age of 64, after battling many health issues.
Since then, former homes for Majerus such as Utah and Marquette have paid their respects to the late coach. On Friday, Saint Louis, Majerus’ last coaching stint, honored him with a memorial service.
“His fingerprint is all over college basketball,” said Saint Louis interim head coach Jim Crews. “Everywhere you go, there he is.”
According to the Associated Press, hundreds attended the service at Chaifetz Pavilion on the Saint Louis campus. Photos of Majerus and players were featured throughout the pavilion, including plays Majerus would draw up on pieces of paper.
Majerus took over the Saint Louis program in 2007 and helped make the Billikens make the transition to the Atlantic 10 Conference. In five seasons, Majerus went 95-69, including an NCAA tournament appearance in 2012. In 25 seasons on the sidelines, Majerus complieda coaching record of 517-216, leading Utah to the Final Four in 1998.
Marquette will wear patches honoring Majerus, who served as an assistant to Al McGuire, later becoming the head coach in 1983. Utah, where Majerus won over 300 games, placed a sweater on the front seat of the bench for Majerus. The Utes beat Boise State 76-55.
“Family, friends, food, basketball, players – if that was involved Rick was singing and whistling a happy tune,” Crews told the AP. “It was always about people and that was what made Rick so special.”
The funeral for Majerus will take place on Saturday in Milwaukee.
Sep 17, 2014, 3:16 PM EDT
Tucker is a powerful dunker at 6-foot-4
Sep 17, 2014, 1:43 PM EDT
Is Oliver Purnell is tapping into a D.C. pipeline?
Sep 17, 2014, 1:08 PM EDT
Walker is currently suspended from the Texas team.
Sep 17, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
Missouri will move on with team-related activities without two freshmen following an arrest.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT
Lyle was originally committed to Louisville before backing off.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
The rush for a good spot to wait for Big Blue Madness tickets is always entertaining.
Sep 16, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
The tallest player in high school basketball has some visits set.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:15 PM EDT
Arizona State has cut ties with a junior college forward and 2015 recruit was who arrested over the weekend.
Sep 16, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
Bo Ryan shows he’s a big man on campus at Wisconsin following his Final Four appearance.
Sep 16, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Jalen Rose says that former teammates Chris Webber needs to apologize.
Sep 16, 2014, 6:06 PM EDT
The Longhorns pull in a commitment from a good guard in 2015.
Sep 16, 2014, 5:46 PM EDT
Kevin Stallings has earned four commitments in 2015.
Sep 16, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT
The five-star recruit decommitted from Louisville, and what it has to do with shoe companies.
Sep 16, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
There are also a limited number of ugly road weeks.
Sep 16, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
Wojcik was fired with cause for allegedly abusing his players.
Sep 16, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT
Mudiays $1.2 million deal with a team in China will now be significantly supplemented.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT
Have you ever seen ‘Goodfellas’? You’ll recognize one of the main players in this story.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Ivan Rabb is one of the best centers in the country.
Sep 15, 2014, 10:33 PM EDT
Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney has opened it back up.
Sep 15, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT
The Bearcats added a 2015 recruit on Monday night.
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 2
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 4
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)