Dec 8, 2012, 3:52 PM EDT
Georgetown’s ugly 37-36 win over Tennessee was supposed to be a fluke, but after the Hoyas nearly repeated that unsightly performance Saturday against Towson, should we have some questions about John Thompson III’s team?
The Hoyas shot just 29.8 percent from the floor against Towson, including 2-of-16 from three-point range in a 46-40 win at Verizon Center in Washington, D.C.
The most puzzling things about Georgetown’s wins over Tennessee and, now, Towson, is that they stand in such stark contrast to the Hoyas’ near-upset of No. 1 Indiana in Brooklyn in November.
Thompson III’s team pushed the Hoosiers to overtime, hitting 11 threes and shooting 44 percent from the floor.
So what’s the difference?
Their shooting has been dangerously streaky, leading to what began as a 2-of-24 night from the field for Georgetown. Players like Markel Starks, who was so important against Indiana going 7-of-14, go cold.
Starks is often a volume shooter, but has a tendency to take a larger number of shots regardless of how well he is shooting. He shot 9-of-14 against UCLA, but was 2-of-11 Saturday.
Otto Porter, though he still fills up the stat sheet, has been cold from three-point range after being effective early in the season.
So this is a danger going forward for those looking for Georgetown to succeed in Big East play and moving forward into March. If the offense goes cold, they could have big problems against tougher teams.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)