Dec 8, 2012, 3:52 PM EDT
Georgetown’s ugly 37-36 win over Tennessee was supposed to be a fluke, but after the Hoyas nearly repeated that unsightly performance Saturday against Towson, should we have some questions about John Thompson III’s team?
The Hoyas shot just 29.8 percent from the floor against Towson, including 2-of-16 from three-point range in a 46-40 win at Verizon Center in Washington, D.C.
The most puzzling things about Georgetown’s wins over Tennessee and, now, Towson, is that they stand in such stark contrast to the Hoyas’ near-upset of No. 1 Indiana in Brooklyn in November.
Thompson III’s team pushed the Hoosiers to overtime, hitting 11 threes and shooting 44 percent from the floor.
So what’s the difference?
Their shooting has been dangerously streaky, leading to what began as a 2-of-24 night from the field for Georgetown. Players like Markel Starks, who was so important against Indiana going 7-of-14, go cold.
Starks is often a volume shooter, but has a tendency to take a larger number of shots regardless of how well he is shooting. He shot 9-of-14 against UCLA, but was 2-of-11 Saturday.
Otto Porter, though he still fills up the stat sheet, has been cold from three-point range after being effective early in the season.
So this is a danger going forward for those looking for Georgetown to succeed in Big East play and moving forward into March. If the offense goes cold, they could have big problems against tougher teams.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)