Dec 8, 2012, 3:02 PM EST
It seems like uncharted territory for the Kentucky Wildcats during the John Calipari Era.
Unranked in the second month of the season, the young Wildcats entered a string of home games against low- and mid-major competition before the start of SEC play.
Saturday against Portland, the Wildcats were firing on all cylinders, shooting nearly 50 percent from the floor, blocking 12 shots, and cruising to a 74-46 win at Rupp Arena.
Four players scored in double figures, including Archie Goodwin and Alex Poythress with 15 points apiece. Freshman center Nerlens Noel only had three shots, but was close to a triple-double with seven points, nine rebounds, and seven blocks.
Is this the work of “Camp Cal,” the practice policy instituted by Calipari in response to Kentucky’s fall?
In addition to a 7 a.m. practice, which is not uncommon in college basketball, Calipari called for an afternoon workout to get his players prepared for the SEC stretch.
“We weren’t in shape,” junior guard Jarrod Polson told the AP Friday. “Coach saw that and we needed something to get us off our feet, I guess. Going in there in the mornings as a team is a good way to start your day off and I think it’s going to help not only get us in shape but create more team bonding, stuff like that.”
The Wildcats have now won two in a row and have a week off for final exams before taking on Lipscomb next Saturday.
- Wisconsin wins 2014 Battle 4 Atlantis with 69-56 win over Oklahoma 0
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 1
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)