Dec 8, 2012, 3:02 PM EDT
It seems like uncharted territory for the Kentucky Wildcats during the John Calipari Era.
Unranked in the second month of the season, the young Wildcats entered a string of home games against low- and mid-major competition before the start of SEC play.
Saturday against Portland, the Wildcats were firing on all cylinders, shooting nearly 50 percent from the floor, blocking 12 shots, and cruising to a 74-46 win at Rupp Arena.
Four players scored in double figures, including Archie Goodwin and Alex Poythress with 15 points apiece. Freshman center Nerlens Noel only had three shots, but was close to a triple-double with seven points, nine rebounds, and seven blocks.
Is this the work of “Camp Cal,” the practice policy instituted by Calipari in response to Kentucky’s fall?
In addition to a 7 a.m. practice, which is not uncommon in college basketball, Calipari called for an afternoon workout to get his players prepared for the SEC stretch.
“We weren’t in shape,” junior guard Jarrod Polson told the AP Friday. “Coach saw that and we needed something to get us off our feet, I guess. Going in there in the mornings as a team is a good way to start your day off and I think it’s going to help not only get us in shape but create more team bonding, stuff like that.”
The Wildcats have now won two in a row and have a week off for final exams before taking on Lipscomb next Saturday.
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- In his first day of recruiting, Bruce Pearl lands Auburn a four-star forward (4)
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)