Dec 8, 2012, 12:07 AM EDT
Taylor University is just another small school located in Upland, Ind. If you haven’t heard of the NAIA school, just wait for the tenth point of the men’s basketball game.
Did I lose you?
Taylor University is home to one of the most unique traditions in all of college basketball. Every Friday, before finals, fans line up and pack the gymnasium, most of them dressed in costumes like it’s Halloween. They then patiently sit in silence and wait for the Trojans’ tenth point. Known as “Silent Night” every fan remains quiet from point 1-9, but when No. 10 goes through the hoop, fans go wild, so much so the game comes to a halt.
This year’s version of “Silent Night” took place Friday night, as Taylor went on to defeat Akron-Wayne 90-58 in front of a packed house.
Taylor University senior guard Casey Coons connected on a 3-pointer 2:49 into the game, giving the Trojans an 11-0 lead.
(Video provided by James R. Garringer)
(Photo credit: Taylor University Trojans Facebook page)
- Kyle Wiltjer to return to Gonzaga for his senior season 0
- Utah’s Jakob Poeltl will return to school for his sophomore season 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Former Kansas State guard transferring to Creighton 0
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)