Dec 8, 2012, 12:07 AM EST
Taylor University is just another small school located in Upland, Ind. If you haven’t heard of the NAIA school, just wait for the tenth point of the men’s basketball game.
Did I lose you?
Taylor University is home to one of the most unique traditions in all of college basketball. Every Friday, before finals, fans line up and pack the gymnasium, most of them dressed in costumes like it’s Halloween. They then patiently sit in silence and wait for the Trojans’ tenth point. Known as “Silent Night” every fan remains quiet from point 1-9, but when No. 10 goes through the hoop, fans go wild, so much so the game comes to a halt.
This year’s version of “Silent Night” took place Friday night, as Taylor went on to defeat Akron-Wayne 90-58 in front of a packed house.
Taylor University senior guard Casey Coons connected on a 3-pointer 2:49 into the game, giving the Trojans an 11-0 lead.
(Video provided by James R. Garringer)
(Photo credit: Taylor University Trojans Facebook page)
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Report: Gonzaga’s Josh Perkins broke his jaw (4)