Dec 9, 2012, 5:42 PM EDT
Georgia Tech assistant coach Josh Postorino was not with the team on Saturday as the Yellow Jackets beat UNC Wilmington, and there was a good reason for his absence.
Postorino was arrested early Thursday on a charge of driving under the influence in Jacksonville, Florida, where he was on a recruiting trip. According to a release from the school, Postorino will take an “indefinite period of time in order to deal with personal issues” and will not be on the bench as a result.
When asked for a comment on the situation following the Yellow Jackets’ 73-66 win over UNC Wilmington, head coach Brian Gregory said the following:
“I appreciate the question, but out of respect for Josh, I’m going to leave the statement on its own. Nothing further on that right now.”
Georgia Tech is now 6-2 on the season with the defeats coming at the hands of California (title game of the DirecTV Classic) and Illinois, with the Fighting Illini likely moving into the Top 10 on Monday.
With young talents such as Robert Carter Jr. (19 points, nine rebounds against UNCW) and Marcus Georges-Hunt joining returnees Mfon Udofia and Daniel Miller, the Yellow Jackets have been a pleasant surprise thus far. And with four more home games before they begin ACC play against Miami on January 5, Georgia Tech is capable of going into that game with a 10-2 record.
It remains to be seen how long Postorino, who joined Gregory’s staff at Georgia Tech in April 2011 after spending a year as director of basketball operations at DePaul, remains away from the program.
Photo credit: Georgia Tech Athletics
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (3)