Dec 9, 2012, 5:42 PM EDT
Georgia Tech assistant coach Josh Postorino was not with the team on Saturday as the Yellow Jackets beat UNC Wilmington, and there was a good reason for his absence.
Postorino was arrested early Thursday on a charge of driving under the influence in Jacksonville, Florida, where he was on a recruiting trip. According to a release from the school, Postorino will take an “indefinite period of time in order to deal with personal issues” and will not be on the bench as a result.
When asked for a comment on the situation following the Yellow Jackets’ 73-66 win over UNC Wilmington, head coach Brian Gregory said the following:
“I appreciate the question, but out of respect for Josh, I’m going to leave the statement on its own. Nothing further on that right now.”
Georgia Tech is now 6-2 on the season with the defeats coming at the hands of California (title game of the DirecTV Classic) and Illinois, with the Fighting Illini likely moving into the Top 10 on Monday.
With young talents such as Robert Carter Jr. (19 points, nine rebounds against UNCW) and Marcus Georges-Hunt joining returnees Mfon Udofia and Daniel Miller, the Yellow Jackets have been a pleasant surprise thus far. And with four more home games before they begin ACC play against Miami on January 5, Georgia Tech is capable of going into that game with a 10-2 record.
It remains to be seen how long Postorino, who joined Gregory’s staff at Georgia Tech in April 2011 after spending a year as director of basketball operations at DePaul, remains away from the program.
Photo credit: Georgia Tech Athletics
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4