Dec 9, 2012, 5:42 PM EST
Georgia Tech assistant coach Josh Postorino was not with the team on Saturday as the Yellow Jackets beat UNC Wilmington, and there was a good reason for his absence.
Postorino was arrested early Thursday on a charge of driving under the influence in Jacksonville, Florida, where he was on a recruiting trip. According to a release from the school, Postorino will take an “indefinite period of time in order to deal with personal issues” and will not be on the bench as a result.
When asked for a comment on the situation following the Yellow Jackets’ 73-66 win over UNC Wilmington, head coach Brian Gregory said the following:
“I appreciate the question, but out of respect for Josh, I’m going to leave the statement on its own. Nothing further on that right now.”
Georgia Tech is now 6-2 on the season with the defeats coming at the hands of California (title game of the DirecTV Classic) and Illinois, with the Fighting Illini likely moving into the Top 10 on Monday.
With young talents such as Robert Carter Jr. (19 points, nine rebounds against UNCW) and Marcus Georges-Hunt joining returnees Mfon Udofia and Daniel Miller, the Yellow Jackets have been a pleasant surprise thus far. And with four more home games before they begin ACC play against Miami on January 5, Georgia Tech is capable of going into that game with a 10-2 record.
It remains to be seen how long Postorino, who joined Gregory’s staff at Georgia Tech in April 2011 after spending a year as director of basketball operations at DePaul, remains away from the program.
Photo credit: Georgia Tech Athletics
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 2
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 1
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)