Dec 9, 2012, 11:30 AM EDT
Each day, CollegeBasketballTalk brings you the “Pregame Shootaround,” which will be posted at 2 p.m. ET and lay out a preview for the slate of games that night. We’ll take a look at some key match-ups and important games, as well as make some predictions and point out what you need to watch for. Take a look below at today’s edition:
Note: The weekend editions of Pregame Shootaround will be published half an hour prior to tip-off of the day’s first game.
Game of the Day: No. 21 UNLV vs. California
California has one of the best scoring duos in the nation in Allen Crabbe (22.4 ppg) and Justin Cobbs (18.7 ppg), but no other players average double figures. This lack of balance plays to UNLV’s favor Sunday, as they can try to key in on those two, while limiting production from elsewhere.
The Rebels have won four straight games since losing to Oregon, but had to survive a battle from Portland on the road this week. Anthony Bennett will be the most important piece for Dave Rice’s team Sunday, along with Anthony Marshall, who had 16 points vs. Portland. They’ll be looking to push the tempo, as usual.
Who’s getting upset?: DePaul against Milwaukee
Oliver Purnell is still building his program at DePaul, amidst the Big East turmoil and an injury report that doesn’t help his teams progress. With a relatively light Sunday slate of games, the Blue Demons could be on upset alert against mid-major Milwaukee. Paris Gulley and Jordan Aaron combine for close to 36 points per game for Milwaukee.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: Akron vs. No. 16 Creighton
Doug McDermott and the Bluejays will take part in what is the only other game Sunday featuring a Top 25 team. Expect points in bunches, as both teams are ranked in the Top 20 in the country in points per game. The advantage for Creighton, though, is its efficiency in scoring those points. The Bluejays are second in the country in field goal percentage, helped along by McDermott, Ethan Wragge, and Gregory Echenique.
Five Things to Watch For
1) Anthony Bennett leads No. 21 UNLV against California, averaging 18.7 points and 7.6 rebounds per game. The Rebels are young, which will be the criticism all season, but they are also very talented.
2) California lost its first game of the season to Wisconsin last Sunday, and now comes back a week later to face the first of two straight ranked teams. The Golden Bears have one of the highest-scoring duos in the country with Allen Crabbe and Justin Cobbs
3) Semaj Christon has been one of the most impressive freshmen in the country so far this season, leading Xavier with 15.4 points and 6.0 assists per game. The Musketeers take on Kent State Sunday afternoon.
4) After the departure of Royce White, Iowa State is still putting up stats. The Cyclones are in the Top 15 in the country in both scoring and rebounding, and in the Top 40 in assists. They take on Nebraska Omaha.
5) Florida State began the season as a fringe Top 25 team. Now, they’re 4-4 and riding a three-game losing streak. They’ll try to break that trend against Maine.
The Rest of the Top 25:
No. 16 Creighton vs. Akron (See above)
No. 21 UNLV vs. California (6:00 p.m., See above)
Other Notable Games
Fresno State vs. Washington State (3:00 p.m. ET)
Maine vs. Florida State (4:00 p.m. ET)
Kent State vs. Xavier (4:00 p.m. ET)
Nebraska Omaha vs. Iowa State (7:00 p.m. ET)
Aug 27, 2014, 6:11 PM EDT
Zylan Cheatham joins fellow freshman Malik Pope on the sidelines, with the latter still working to rehab a leg he broke twice while in high school.
Aug 27, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
With their two finalists having removed their names from consideration, the College of Charleston is back to square one in its search for a new head coach.
Aug 27, 2014, 5:09 PM EDT
Non-Power 5 programs will be allowed to do just that.
Aug 27, 2014, 4:09 PM EDT
Shaw becomes the fourth Bradley front court player in the news this summer.
Aug 27, 2014, 2:34 PM EDT
The top two is not a surprise. It gets interesting after that.
Aug 27, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT
He’s broached the subject a number of times this summer.
Aug 27, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
At this point, comparing the two is unfair to Irvin.
Aug 27, 2014, 9:26 AM EDT
It may not be surprising, then, to hear that their new head coach is a product of Shaka Smart’s VCU staff.
Aug 27, 2014, 12:03 AM EDT
Richard Pitino had five recruits scheduled to join the program.
Aug 26, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
The College of Charleston is looking to replace Doug Wojcik, who was fired on Aug. 5.
Aug 26, 2014, 8:07 PM EDT
This is the first commit in the Beavers’ Class of 2015.
Aug 26, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
The 6-foot-10 big man was dismissed from Missouri on April 10.
Aug 26, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Some of the best high school players in the country appeared in Elite 24 this weekend in Brooklyn.
Aug 26, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
Dayton adds depth to its point guard position for the 2014-2015 season.
Aug 26, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
The younger brother of Enes Kanter will join the favorite to win the Horizon League.
Aug 26, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
Porter Moser’s team should still take a step forward in the Missouri Valley.
Aug 26, 2014, 3:38 PM EDT
Pastner continues to recruit the state of Tennessee well.
Aug 26, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
Some teams are unlucky in losses. It’s not bad luck when you blow games you should have won, though.
Aug 26, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
Our top ten is different, but not by that much.
Aug 26, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
According to a report, there are six sites vying for four Final Fours between 2017 and 2020.
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- ‘Value Add’ stat projects Utah’s Delon Wright as having a historic season 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Bruce Pearl gets welcomed by Auburn team, students after NCAA show-cause ends (VIDEO) 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (6)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (5)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind (4)
- Creighton’s logos draw ire of Major League Baseball franchise (4)