Dec 9, 2012, 11:30 AM EDT
Each day, CollegeBasketballTalk brings you the “Pregame Shootaround,” which will be posted at 2 p.m. ET and lay out a preview for the slate of games that night. We’ll take a look at some key match-ups and important games, as well as make some predictions and point out what you need to watch for. Take a look below at today’s edition:
Note: The weekend editions of Pregame Shootaround will be published half an hour prior to tip-off of the day’s first game.
Game of the Day: No. 21 UNLV vs. California
California has one of the best scoring duos in the nation in Allen Crabbe (22.4 ppg) and Justin Cobbs (18.7 ppg), but no other players average double figures. This lack of balance plays to UNLV’s favor Sunday, as they can try to key in on those two, while limiting production from elsewhere.
The Rebels have won four straight games since losing to Oregon, but had to survive a battle from Portland on the road this week. Anthony Bennett will be the most important piece for Dave Rice’s team Sunday, along with Anthony Marshall, who had 16 points vs. Portland. They’ll be looking to push the tempo, as usual.
Who’s getting upset?: DePaul against Milwaukee
Oliver Purnell is still building his program at DePaul, amidst the Big East turmoil and an injury report that doesn’t help his teams progress. With a relatively light Sunday slate of games, the Blue Demons could be on upset alert against mid-major Milwaukee. Paris Gulley and Jordan Aaron combine for close to 36 points per game for Milwaukee.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: Akron vs. No. 16 Creighton
Doug McDermott and the Bluejays will take part in what is the only other game Sunday featuring a Top 25 team. Expect points in bunches, as both teams are ranked in the Top 20 in the country in points per game. The advantage for Creighton, though, is its efficiency in scoring those points. The Bluejays are second in the country in field goal percentage, helped along by McDermott, Ethan Wragge, and Gregory Echenique.
Five Things to Watch For
1) Anthony Bennett leads No. 21 UNLV against California, averaging 18.7 points and 7.6 rebounds per game. The Rebels are young, which will be the criticism all season, but they are also very talented.
2) California lost its first game of the season to Wisconsin last Sunday, and now comes back a week later to face the first of two straight ranked teams. The Golden Bears have one of the highest-scoring duos in the country with Allen Crabbe and Justin Cobbs
3) Semaj Christon has been one of the most impressive freshmen in the country so far this season, leading Xavier with 15.4 points and 6.0 assists per game. The Musketeers take on Kent State Sunday afternoon.
4) After the departure of Royce White, Iowa State is still putting up stats. The Cyclones are in the Top 15 in the country in both scoring and rebounding, and in the Top 40 in assists. They take on Nebraska Omaha.
5) Florida State began the season as a fringe Top 25 team. Now, they’re 4-4 and riding a three-game losing streak. They’ll try to break that trend against Maine.
The Rest of the Top 25:
No. 16 Creighton vs. Akron (See above)
No. 21 UNLV vs. California (6:00 p.m., See above)
Other Notable Games
Fresno State vs. Washington State (3:00 p.m. ET)
Maine vs. Florida State (4:00 p.m. ET)
Kent State vs. Xavier (4:00 p.m. ET)
Nebraska Omaha vs. Iowa State (7:00 p.m. ET)
Oct 21, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Stanford’s back court depth took a hit this week.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
Suspensions have been handed down for two James Madison players involved in a fall altercation.
Oct 21, 2014, 8:38 PM EDT
Nebraska has been recruiting the state of Illinois very hard and it paid off with a 2016 commitment.
Oct 21, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
Kansas State has taken a hit to its front court depth this week.
Oct 21, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Florida’s backcourt depth received a big boost this week.
Oct 21, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
Georgia State loses Kevin Ware with a high ankle sprain.
Oct 21, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
American went from ninth in the Patriot League preseason polls to a No. 15 seed in the 2014 NCAA Tournament. Safe to say, the Eagles will be viewed much differently this time around with four returning starters.
Oct 21, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
Wyoming becomes a contender in the Mountain West Conference with the return of senior forward Larry Nance Jr.
Oct 21, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
Clemson added a junior college post that could come in and make an immediate impact.
Oct 21, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT
The Aggies now have one of the best recruiting classes in the country.
Oct 21, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
American was the surprise team in the Patriot League a season ago. Can they repeat as league champs?
Oct 21, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
No surprise that Murray State and Belmont are expected to be at the top of the league.
Oct 21, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
L.J. Rose is expected to return around Christmas.
Oct 21, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
The Gators are good enough to win the SEC. They have enough question marks to finish outside the top 25 as well.
Oct 21, 2014, 10:08 AM EDT
That fan looks like he’s enjoying things.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
These are the players to keep an eye on if you like seeing aerial acrobatics.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Kansas State is losing a redshirt freshman to transfer.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Virginia got a very skilled guard in the 2016 class.
Oct 20, 2014, 9:15 PM EDT
Florida landed an in-state Class of 2015 wing to make it a four-man class.
Oct 20, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
Memphis found a 2016 guard to join center Nick Marshall in the recruiting class.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)