Dec 10, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
Team of the Week: West Virginia
West Virginia looked like they might be in some trouble early on this season. After getting drubbed by Gonzaga on national television in the opening game of Marathon Madness, the Mountaineers briefly bounced back against Marist before losing the final two games of the Old Spice Classic to Oklahoma and Davidson. It was a less than ideal way for Bob Huggins’ team to start the season. But after a win over VWI in late November, WVU finally made a statement this week as they knocked off in-state rival Marshall before handing Virginia Tech their first loss of the season on Saturday.
We knew it was going to take some time for the Mountaineer team to come together; that’s just what happens when your roster consists of three transfers playing major minutes. The front line looks like it is rounding into form, as Kilicli had 21 points against Marshall and Aaric Murray went for 15 points and seven boards against Virginia Tech. More importantly, Kevin Noreen finally showed of some of his potential, as he notched his first career double-double, finishing with 14 points and 12 boards, seven offensive, against Virginia Tech. The back court is still trying to work their way through the start of the season — Juwan Staten, Gary Browne and Jabarie Hinds were a combined 3-25 on Saturday — but one of those three was the game-winning layup from Staten.
Five Teams Deserving a Shoutout:
- Illinois: Illinois had easily the most impressive win of the week, as they went into Spokane and knocked off a Gonzaga team that everyone believed was well on their way to becoming the Gonzaga that we used to know. I’m not ready to buy the Illini as a real Final Four or national title contender yet simply because they are a team that relies heavily on three-pointers (43.5% of their FGA’s are threes, and 41.0% of the points they score are off of threes, the second-highest rate in the country) and plays only OK defense (they are 63rd in defensive efficiency according to Kenpom). But what I will say is that I no longer look at the Illini as a fluke. Gonzaga is a good team — even better at The Kennel — and a bad matchup for Illinois, but they still were able to get the win. That’s impressive.
- NC State: The Wolfpack seem to finally be headed in the right direction this season. After putting together an impressive second-half comeback in their loss at Michigan, Mark Gottfried’s club picked up a better-than-you-think win over UConn at the Jimmy V Classic followed by a dominating performance in a win over shorthanded Cleveland State. The most incredible stat for NC State right now? CJ Leslie and Lorenzo Brown are currently third and fourth on the team in scoring. That needs to change for this team to compete with Duke for the ACC crown.
- Charlotte: If I were to give you ten picks for who the last remaining unbeaten team in the 16 team Atlantic 10 would be, how many people would mention Charlotte? But nine games into the season, here we are. The 49ers are 9-0 on the season and the last team without a loss on their resume. They haven’t done it against great competition, but they do have one very good win on their resume right now, as they won at Davidson on Wednesday thanks to some big-time shot-making by Pierria Henry.
- MTSU: It’s time to start paying attention to the Blue Raiders again. After a 2-0 week, which included a win over previously-undefeated Ole Miss, MTSU is now 7-2 on the season with their only losses coming at Akron in overtime and by 21 at Florida, which is less than Wisconsin, Marquette and Florida State lost by.
- Dayton: The Flyers are back in the mix at the top of the Atlantic 10 this season, as they went 2-0 this week. That included an impressive win at Alabama where Kevin Dillard went off for 25 points and six assists.
They were good too: Wyoming, New Mexico, Florida, Northern Iowa, Illinois-Chicago
Jan 25, 2015, 10:35 PM EST
Northwestern has lost its last three games by a total of five points.
Jan 25, 2015, 9:36 PM EST
Lucas Siewert joins small forward Brendan Bailey as Arizona State’s second four-star verbal commitment in the 2016 class.
Jan 25, 2015, 7:00 PM EST
Eight days after attempting 25 three-pointers in their loss to No. 5 Duke, the Cardinals attempted just 12 and scored 40 points in the paint against Pittsburgh.
Three-pointer with 5.2 seconds remaining completes second-half rally for No. 20 Northern Iowa (VIDEO)
Jan 25, 2015, 6:24 PM EST
UNI erased a 12-point second half deficit to win at Illinois State, and they remain a game behind No. 14 Wichita State in the Missouri Valley standings.
Jan 25, 2015, 5:38 PM EST
Chris Perry leads the Bulls in rebounding, and chest pains suffered during the team’s workout Saturday resulted in his having to be hospitalized.
Jan 25, 2015, 5:09 PM EST
Also of note on Sunday was Ohio State picking up its first RPI Top 50 win of the season, and both No. 8 Notre Dame and No. 13 Maryland coming back from double-digit deficits.
Jan 25, 2015, 4:13 PM EST
Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski picked up career win No. 1,000 as the No. 5 Blue Devils bested St. John’s.
Jan 25, 2015, 2:30 PM EST
Well-traveled former Ole Miss guard Derrick Millinghaus has found a new home.
Jan 25, 2015, 1:21 PM EST
Kentucky is on the board in the 2016 class with a highly-touted big man from New Zealand.
Jan 25, 2015, 1:00 PM EST
A former four-star prospect is heading to Rhode Island.
Jan 25, 2015, 12:00 PM EST
A former Miami point guard is finding tremendous success on the football field and is a even being talked about as a first-rounder in the 2015 NFL Draft.
Jan 25, 2015, 10:10 AM EST
One of the best big men in the 2016 class could decide between three powerhouse programs on Sunday.
Jan 25, 2015, 9:00 AM EST
Coach K goes for win No. 1,000 against St. John’s and a fun battle of elite freshmen guards in the Big Ten are Sunday’s highlights.
Jan 25, 2015, 1:05 AM EST
I feel comfortable saying I’m a better dancer than Josh Pastner. Not by much, though.
Jan 24, 2015, 11:58 PM EST
Get caught up on everything that has happened in college basketball on Saturday.
Northwestern State staff wears special pants for ‘Suits and Sneakers’ game against McNeese State (PHOTO)
Jan 24, 2015, 11:34 PM EST
The pants worn by the coaching staff were one of the highlights in Northwestern State’s 92-68 win over McNeese State.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:31 PM EST
Crawford and his teammates are looking to rebound from the 18-point loss they suffered at Tulsa Wednesday night.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:20 PM EST
Peel finished the game with 17 points, 13 rebounds and five blocks as the Blue Devils picked up their first win in NEC play.
Jan 24, 2015, 8:34 PM EST
Baylor really needed this win, but Oklahoma has now lost three of their last four.
Jan 24, 2015, 7:20 PM EST
The Tribe bounced back from a loss at Delaware earlier in the week to move into a tie for first in the CAA.
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 1
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)