Dec 10, 2012, 7:50 PM EDT
For the past day or so, rumors have been going around that Syracuse guard Michael Carter-Williams was arrested at a Lord & Taylor store at a local mall.
According to an article by Mike Waters of the Syracuse Post-Standard, Social media was the first place these rumors came about, with someone saying that they were the “first to see Michael Carter-Williams get arrested” on Sunday, with the scene being described as Carter-Williams being led with his hands behind his back outside the store on an escalator.
So far, none of the rumors are true. Syracuse police have offered no comment and — before taking it down — MCW tweeted that “bottom line I was not arrested”. So there’s that.
Apparently, no one is talking whether he was or was not cuffed and stuffed. For his sake, let’s hope not, because the sophomore has a bright future, both with the Orange and maybe in the NBA. He is currently averaging 12.4 points, a nation-leading 10.4 assists and 5.6 rebounds this season for the 8-0 Orange.
From the standpoint of anything happening to him, if no charges have been filed stemming from something that happened at a mall, then they probably won’t be. Any charges involving theft or disturbance, which is all you can really believe would be the charges that could come for anyone in this position (in a mall, in public, around retail) would be swift.
Anyway, looks like if the cops aren’t talking and the school isn’t talking and there’s no police report, there’s no story to it. Move along folks, nothing to see here.
David Harten is a sportswriter and college basketball blogger. You can follow him on Twitter at @David_Harten.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Nike and Under Armour host showcase events as the Shoe Wars continue to heat up (2)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)
- Buffalo dismisses Justin Moss, reigning MAC Player of the Year, from team (2)