Dec 10, 2012, 5:47 PM EDT
UNLV do-it-all forward Mike Moser took possibly the ugliest blow of the season when he injured his right elbow in a 76-75 victory over California on Sunday.
According to UNLV beat writer Taylor Bern of the Las Vegas Sun, Moser will not undergo an MRI on his elbow and coach Dave Rice said the Runnin’ Rebels are hoping to have Moser back in a month, though the plan is “conservative but aggressive.”
Follow-up on Moser: No MRI is planned at this time. The 1-month time frame is conservative but aggressive, Rice said. #UNLVmbb—
Taylor Bern (@TaylorBern) December 10, 2012
Everyone that saw the injury thought a lot worse could’ve happened. Much like a knee, any collection of joints, ligaments, tissue and cartilage moving in an awkward position doesn’t bode well for any athlete.
The junior has averaged only 10.9 points to go with 8.3 rebounds and 2.6 assists this season. That’s due to some nagging injuries, until, however Sunday night, when “nagging” was replaced with “significant”. He’s done it in 26.9 minutes per game.
Looks like, at least from UNLV’s side, Moser came out lucky after Sunday night’s gruesome-looking spill. But I don’t blame Rice for making his statement. This team is good without Moser. Moser makes them great. They can win without him until the New Mexico and San Diego State games. Not to mention the postseason. Have him healthy then, and they’ll be fine.
David Harten is a sportswriter and college basketball blogger. You can follow him on Twitter at @David_Harten.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)