Dec 10, 2012, 5:47 PM EDT
UNLV do-it-all forward Mike Moser took possibly the ugliest blow of the season when he injured his right elbow in a 76-75 victory over California on Sunday.
According to UNLV beat writer Taylor Bern of the Las Vegas Sun, Moser will not undergo an MRI on his elbow and coach Dave Rice said the Runnin’ Rebels are hoping to have Moser back in a month, though the plan is “conservative but aggressive.”
Follow-up on Moser: No MRI is planned at this time. The 1-month time frame is conservative but aggressive, Rice said. #UNLVmbb—
Taylor Bern (@TaylorBern) December 10, 2012
Everyone that saw the injury thought a lot worse could’ve happened. Much like a knee, any collection of joints, ligaments, tissue and cartilage moving in an awkward position doesn’t bode well for any athlete.
The junior has averaged only 10.9 points to go with 8.3 rebounds and 2.6 assists this season. That’s due to some nagging injuries, until, however Sunday night, when “nagging” was replaced with “significant”. He’s done it in 26.9 minutes per game.
Looks like, at least from UNLV’s side, Moser came out lucky after Sunday night’s gruesome-looking spill. But I don’t blame Rice for making his statement. This team is good without Moser. Moser makes them great. They can win without him until the New Mexico and San Diego State games. Not to mention the postseason. Have him healthy then, and they’ll be fine.
David Harten is a sportswriter and college basketball blogger. You can follow him on Twitter at @David_Harten.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)
- Buffalo dismisses Justin Moss, reigning MAC Player of the Year, from team (2)
- Syracuse legend to undergo surgery on a brain tumor this week (2)