Dec 10, 2012, 5:47 PM EDT
UNLV do-it-all forward Mike Moser took possibly the ugliest blow of the season when he injured his right elbow in a 76-75 victory over California on Sunday.
According to UNLV beat writer Taylor Bern of the Las Vegas Sun, Moser will not undergo an MRI on his elbow and coach Dave Rice said the Runnin’ Rebels are hoping to have Moser back in a month, though the plan is “conservative but aggressive.”
Follow-up on Moser: No MRI is planned at this time. The 1-month time frame is conservative but aggressive, Rice said. #UNLVmbb—
Taylor Bern (@TaylorBern) December 10, 2012
Everyone that saw the injury thought a lot worse could’ve happened. Much like a knee, any collection of joints, ligaments, tissue and cartilage moving in an awkward position doesn’t bode well for any athlete.
The junior has averaged only 10.9 points to go with 8.3 rebounds and 2.6 assists this season. That’s due to some nagging injuries, until, however Sunday night, when “nagging” was replaced with “significant”. He’s done it in 26.9 minutes per game.
Looks like, at least from UNLV’s side, Moser came out lucky after Sunday night’s gruesome-looking spill. But I don’t blame Rice for making his statement. This team is good without Moser. Moser makes them great. They can win without him until the New Mexico and San Diego State games. Not to mention the postseason. Have him healthy then, and they’ll be fine.
David Harten is a sportswriter and college basketball blogger. You can follow him on Twitter at @David_Harten.
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? 0
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 5
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 2
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (8)
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season (5)