Dec 10, 2012, 5:47 PM EST
UNLV do-it-all forward Mike Moser took possibly the ugliest blow of the season when he injured his right elbow in a 76-75 victory over California on Sunday.
According to UNLV beat writer Taylor Bern of the Las Vegas Sun, Moser will not undergo an MRI on his elbow and coach Dave Rice said the Runnin’ Rebels are hoping to have Moser back in a month, though the plan is “conservative but aggressive.”
Follow-up on Moser: No MRI is planned at this time. The 1-month time frame is conservative but aggressive, Rice said. #UNLVmbb—
Taylor Bern (@TaylorBern) December 10, 2012
Everyone that saw the injury thought a lot worse could’ve happened. Much like a knee, any collection of joints, ligaments, tissue and cartilage moving in an awkward position doesn’t bode well for any athlete.
The junior has averaged only 10.9 points to go with 8.3 rebounds and 2.6 assists this season. That’s due to some nagging injuries, until, however Sunday night, when “nagging” was replaced with “significant”. He’s done it in 26.9 minutes per game.
Looks like, at least from UNLV’s side, Moser came out lucky after Sunday night’s gruesome-looking spill. But I don’t blame Rice for making his statement. This team is good without Moser. Moser makes them great. They can win without him until the New Mexico and San Diego State games. Not to mention the postseason. Have him healthy then, and they’ll be fine.
David Harten is a sportswriter and college basketball blogger. You can follow him on Twitter at @David_Harten.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 2
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)