Dec 10, 2012, 5:47 PM EDT
UNLV do-it-all forward Mike Moser took possibly the ugliest blow of the season when he injured his right elbow in a 76-75 victory over California on Sunday.
According to UNLV beat writer Taylor Bern of the Las Vegas Sun, Moser will not undergo an MRI on his elbow and coach Dave Rice said the Runnin’ Rebels are hoping to have Moser back in a month, though the plan is “conservative but aggressive.”
Follow-up on Moser: No MRI is planned at this time. The 1-month time frame is conservative but aggressive, Rice said. #UNLVmbb—
Taylor Bern (@TaylorBern) December 10, 2012
Everyone that saw the injury thought a lot worse could’ve happened. Much like a knee, any collection of joints, ligaments, tissue and cartilage moving in an awkward position doesn’t bode well for any athlete.
The junior has averaged only 10.9 points to go with 8.3 rebounds and 2.6 assists this season. That’s due to some nagging injuries, until, however Sunday night, when “nagging” was replaced with “significant”. He’s done it in 26.9 minutes per game.
Looks like, at least from UNLV’s side, Moser came out lucky after Sunday night’s gruesome-looking spill. But I don’t blame Rice for making his statement. This team is good without Moser. Moser makes them great. They can win without him until the New Mexico and San Diego State games. Not to mention the postseason. Have him healthy then, and they’ll be fine.
David Harten is a sportswriter and college basketball blogger. You can follow him on Twitter at @David_Harten.
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 1
- George Washington joins ‘cool court club’, redesigns home floor 2
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 12
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims