Dec 10, 2012, 12:12 PM EDT
It’s Finals Week, so you know what that means: college hoops takes a massive hit. There are seven games on the docket tonight.
So did ya’ll see that episode of Homeland last night?
Game of the Day: Bryant at Navy, 7:00 p.m.: Yeah, it’s that kind of night. This is the only game on the night that features two teams with more than two wins on the season, and one of those two (Navy) still has a losing record at 5-6. Bryant has won five of their last six games, which includes a two-point win at Boston College. Can the Bulldogs go into Annapolis and steal a win?
Who’s Getting Upset?: No. 15 Georgetown: The Hoyas have won two games at the Verizon Center in the last two weeks while scoring 46 points (against Towson) and 37 points (against Tennessee). They also “blew up” for 62 points in a win over Texas at Madison Square Garden. So there’s that, too.
For what it’s worth, I don’t think the Hoyas are going to lose. They’ve given up 117 points in their last three games. Longwood is averaging 55.7 points in their three road games and gave up 112 to Arkansas and 103 to Creighton. This should be a good chance for Georgetown to start finding a rhythm offensively.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Night: Seattle at Eastern Washington, 9:05 p.m.: Because they both have won at least one game.
Two things to watch for:
- Virginia Tech looks to bounce back against Mississippi Valley State at 7:00 p.m. back in Blacksburg. The Hokies lost their first game of the season on Saturday when Juwan Staten hit a driving layup with five seconds left on the clock at West Virginia.
- Detroit is just 2-4 on the season against Division I teams, and while Alabama State is about as low as it gets in Division I, this is still a chance for the Titans to try and work out some of the kinks of their slow start. Detroit was expected to compete with Valparaiso for the Horizon League title this season.
Sep 18, 2014, 8:43 PM EDT
FGCU’s Sweet 16 run in 2013 paid off in a big way for the athletic department.
Sep 18, 2014, 7:04 PM EDT
Mizzou Arena’s just ten years old, but the school has found some areas that need renovating.
Sep 18, 2014, 5:52 PM EDT
Freeberg makes the move from the College of Charleston to The Citadel, with J.D. Powell headed in the opposite direction.
Sep 18, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
Calipari tweeted that if the coaches gained an advantage from helping revitalize USA Basketball he “doesn’t begrudge them in the least.”
Sep 18, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
An important member in a 2015 class lacking guards has set a decision date.
Sep 18, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
John Calipari helped some campers waiting for Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness sleep a little easier by giving away a mattress and some pillows.
Sep 18, 2014, 1:08 PM EDT
Baylor will be without an incoming recruit for the 2014-15 season.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:56 AM EDT
Coach K responded to recent criticisms lobbied at him about unfair recruiting advantages as USA Basketball’s coach.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Providence is hoping a key member of its backcourt will be healthy this season after two straight years with a shoulder injury.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
One five-star prospect heard a recruiting pitch centered on LeBron James’ homecoming to Cleveland.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:10 AM EDT
Vince Carter highlight reels are still the best.
Sep 17, 2014, 11:25 PM EDT
With Isaiah Briscoe moving on to the college ranks next summer, Duval could be the next elite guard produced by the Playaz Basketball Club.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
Last year’s Hoops on the Haasephalt event attracted nearly 4,000 fans on the UAB campus.
Sep 17, 2014, 8:26 PM EDT
Despite rumors to the contrary, one of the best players in the Class of 2015 is 100 percent committed to attending LSU next year.
Sep 17, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
“The Grateful Red” snapped up every available ticket within five minutes Wednesday morning.
Sep 17, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
The Nittany Lions return five of their top six scorers from a team that finished the 2013-14 season with a 16-18 record (6-12 Big Ten).
Sep 17, 2014, 4:04 PM EDT
Jim Boeheim is not one to bite his tongue around the media.
Sep 17, 2014, 3:16 PM EDT
Tucker is a powerful dunker at 6-foot-4
Sep 17, 2014, 1:43 PM EDT
Is Oliver Purnell is tapping into a D.C. pipeline?
Sep 17, 2014, 1:08 PM EDT
Walker is currently suspended from the Texas team.
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)