Dec 11, 2012, 9:49 AM EDT
As part of its celebration of 75 years of March Madness, the NCAA released a list detailing the Top 35 moments, the Top 25 teams, and Top 75 players. The NCAA did not order the moments, rather deciding to put them in chronological order, so we here at CBT decided we might take on a challenge during Finals Week and rank them.
We begin with the list itself, as laid out by the NCAA:
1939– Oregon wins first NCAA tournament
1963– Loyola (Ill.) vs. Mississippi State
1966– A win for Civil Rights–Texas Western’s 72-65 victory against Kentucky
1973– Walton leads Bruins to title
1974– N.C. State ends UCLA’s run
1975– Wooden goes out with 10th title
1976– Indiana wins the title — perfectly
1977– Marquette’s McGuire goes out on top
1979– Magic vs. Bird
1981– Ainge’s full-court drive leads BYU last-second win
1981– U.S. Reed, Rolando Blackman and John Smith
1982– Jordan hits game-winner to lead North Carolina
1983– NC State’s last second win against Houston
1985– Andre Turner: Twice a hero
1985– Villanova upsets Georgetown
1987– Indiana’s Smart shocks Syracuse
1989– Rumeal Robinson seals Michigan victory
1990– Loyola Marymount’s Bo Kimble shoots lefty
1990– UConn’s Tate George beats Clemson in final seconds
1990– Laettner…before the Kentucky game
1991– Duke upsets UNLV
1991– No. 15 Richmond makes history
1992– Laettner hits last-second shot against Kentucky
1995– Tyus Edney saves UCLA
1996– Mile High Madness: Syracuse beats Georgia in OT
1998– The Bryce Drew shot — Valpo upsets Ole Miss
1998– Rip rips the hearts out of the Washington Huskies
1999– The nation meets Gonzaga
2001– Hampton coach Steve Merfeld gets a lift
2005– Regional Finals for the ages
2006– George Mason reaches Final Four
2008– Kansas comes back in closing minutes to win title
2010– Butler comes oh so close
2011– VCU goes from First Four to the Final Four
2012– Twice in one day? Afraid so, Missouri and Duke
Click here to read the descriptions of each.
So what about a Top 10? Here is CBT’s list:
10) 15th seed Richmond makes history
9) Villanova upsets Georgetown
8 ) George Mason reaches Final Four
7) Loyola (Ill.) vs. Mississippi State
6) Jordan hits game-winner to lead UNC
5) Bryce Drew’s shot lifts Valpo
4) Magic vs. Bird
3) LMU’s Bo Kimble shoots lefty
2) Christian Laetnner’s last shot against Kentucky
1) NC State’s last-second win over Houston
Disagree? Make your own list in the comments section and share your thoughts.
May 24, 2015, 7:29 PM EDT
Arizona State’s “Curtain of Distraction” made an appearance as well.
May 24, 2015, 4:09 PM EDT
The last two decades were a special time for the Donovan family, who thanked the supporters who helped make it all possible.
Minneapolis EYBL Day 1: Harry Giles continues impressive spring, Dennis Smith and De’Aaron Fox battle
May 24, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
The final session of the Nike EYBL tipped in Minneapolis on Saturday.
May 24, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Pitt added a big man who can play right away next season.
May 24, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Two of the best in the 2016 class battle in the Under Armour Association.
May 24, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Already thin at the point, the situation becomes even tougher for first-year head coach Chris Mullin if this turns out to be the case.
May 23, 2015, 9:51 PM EDT
A Big 12 and a Big Ten program are among those due who have reached out to the 7-foot-2 Fairfield Prep (Connecticut) product.
May 23, 2015, 7:32 PM EDT
Colorado’s Tad Boyle doesn’t like the proposed shot clock change, and he made a good point about the physical nature of college basketball today.
May 23, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
Les led the Aggies to a school-record (Division I era) 25 wins and their first Big West regular season title last season.
May 23, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
Noah Dickerson had previously committed to Georgetown and Florida.
May 23, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
The former Wolverine could remain in the Big Ten.
May 23, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
The Wisconsin big man averaged 16.4 points and 7.3 rebounds per game in his last two seasons.
May 23, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
The sophomore guard missed the final 12 games of the season.
May 23, 2015, 9:18 AM EDT
He is the younger brother of former UCLA Bruin Shabazz Muhammad.
May 22, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
Nevada landed an impact transfer that could help at guard after next season.
May 22, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
Arizona will have some intriguing home-and-home games to go along with an in-season tournament.
May 22, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
Cliff Alexander might have returned for his sophomore season if the NCAA had not been involved.
May 22, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
Kentucky promoted a familiar face for the open assistant spot.
May 22, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
Nebraska loses a commitment who could be headed elsewhere soon.
May 22, 2015, 4:27 PM EDT
Fox has led the Bulldogs to two NCAA tournament appearances in his six years as head coach, including last season’s 21-win team.
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 5
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (5)