Dec 11, 2012, 12:49 AM EST
To call a slow night in college basketball would be an understatement. Seven games, one featuring a Top 25 team, and that was a blowout. With this being finals week for so many schools around the country, expect more of it. For now, it’s late night snacks.
Game of the Night
Georgetown 89, Longwood 53 - Georgetown needed something to break it’s offensive funk and they got it. Otto Porter went for 22 points and Markel Starks went for 17 as the team shot 53-percent from the field overall.
Otto Porter, Georgetown – Went for 22 points and seven assists in a win that the Hoyas needed, if nothing else, just for confidence.
Erick Greene, Virginia Tech – Went for 23 points, five assists and four rebounds as the Hokies beat down winless Mississippi Valley State 70-49.
Tilman Dunbar, Navy - On the weekend of the Army/Navy football game, got to give some love to the hardcourt Midshipmen. Finished with a double-double with 13 points and 10 assists in a 69-59 win over Bryant.
Eastern Washington’s three-point shooting – In a 75-69 loss to Seattle U., the Eagles could’ve just used two more threes for the win. They shot 6-for-27 from three-point range. Showing that volume doesn’t equal results.
Stuffing the stat sheet
Jayon James, Louisiana-Monroe - Took care of business in a victory over Southeastern Louisiana with 10 points 12 rebounds and seven assists in the 68-61 victory.
Fanbase that can take a breath
Georgetown - Everyone was wondering what exactly was wrong with the Hoyas after games that they won in the 30s and 40s offensively. Well, all they needed was a visit from Longwood. Shot 53-percent from the field. Otto Porter went for 22. Can’t ask for more.
Fanbase that can take a seat
None, again – It’s finals week. Everyone is already on edge enough as it is. No one did anything no one expected tonight.
Study up, everyone.
David Harten is a sportswriter and college basketball blogger. You can follow him on Twitter at @David_Harten.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 31
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)