Dec 11, 2012, 12:49 AM EDT
To call a slow night in college basketball would be an understatement. Seven games, one featuring a Top 25 team, and that was a blowout. With this being finals week for so many schools around the country, expect more of it. For now, it’s late night snacks.
Game of the Night
Georgetown 89, Longwood 53 – Georgetown needed something to break it’s offensive funk and they got it. Otto Porter went for 22 points and Markel Starks went for 17 as the team shot 53-percent from the field overall.
Otto Porter, Georgetown – Went for 22 points and seven assists in a win that the Hoyas needed, if nothing else, just for confidence.
Erick Greene, Virginia Tech – Went for 23 points, five assists and four rebounds as the Hokies beat down winless Mississippi Valley State 70-49.
Tilman Dunbar, Navy – On the weekend of the Army/Navy football game, got to give some love to the hardcourt Midshipmen. Finished with a double-double with 13 points and 10 assists in a 69-59 win over Bryant.
Eastern Washington’s three-point shooting – In a 75-69 loss to Seattle U., the Eagles could’ve just used two more threes for the win. They shot 6-for-27 from three-point range. Showing that volume doesn’t equal results.
Stuffing the stat sheet
Jayon James, Louisiana-Monroe – Took care of business in a victory over Southeastern Louisiana with 10 points 12 rebounds and seven assists in the 68-61 victory.
Fanbase that can take a breath
Georgetown – Everyone was wondering what exactly was wrong with the Hoyas after games that they won in the 30s and 40s offensively. Well, all they needed was a visit from Longwood. Shot 53-percent from the field. Otto Porter went for 22. Can’t ask for more.
Fanbase that can take a seat
None, again – It’s finals week. Everyone is already on edge enough as it is. No one did anything no one expected tonight.
Study up, everyone.
David Harten is a sportswriter and college basketball blogger. You can follow him on Twitter at @David_Harten.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)