Dec 11, 2012, 1:04 PM EDT
Each day, CollegeBasketballTalk brings you the “Pregame Shootaround,” which will lay out a preview for the slate of games that night. We’ll take a look at some key match-ups and important games, as well as make some predictions and point out what you need to watch for. Take a look below at today’s edition:
Note: The weekend editions of Pregame Shootaround will be published half an hour prior to tip-off of the day’s first game.
Game of the Day: St. Joseph’s vs. Villanova
There are more high-profile games, including three Top 25 teams in action, but if you’re looking for a rivalry game, this Philadelphia match-up is the best on the docket Tuesday evening.
Both members of the Big 5, St. Joe’s and Villanova had different sets of expectations for the 2012-13 season, with the Hawks loaded with talented veterans and the Wildcats rebuilding after key losses.
St. Joe’s is led by one of the most underrated backcourts in the nation, Carl Jones and Langston Galloway, as well as frontcourt pieces C.J. Aiken and Ronald Roberts, Jr. We highlighted Phil Martelli’s team a few weeks back when they traveled to take on Doug McDermott and Creighton, which ended with a surprising 29-point loss. Expect a better outing Tuesday.
Villanova relies on freshman guard Ryan Arcidiacono, who has the raw talent, but is working to limit his turnovers. The biggest problem for coach Jay Wright and his Wildcats is offensive flow. They ranked 238th in the nation in field goal percentage, plagued by long stretches without scoring.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: Boston University vs. Harvard
With a Finals Week-shortened slate of games, this one looks to be the best on the Tuesday schedule.
After losing its first five games of the season, Boston comes into this intrastate match-up against Harvard on a three-game winning streak. The Terriers have a balanced scoring attack, with four different players averaging in double figures, led by junior D.J. Irving. Keep an eye on freshman point guard Maurice Watson, Jr., who leads the team in assists with 4.9 per game.
Harvard comes into Tuesday’s game after losing to Connecticut on the road, though the Crimson hung tough in the first half. Wesley Saunders was the team’s leading scorer in that game with 14 points and continues to be the go-to guy for Tommy Amaker’s team.
Five Things to Watch For
1) No. 3 Michigan showed its depth and versatility in Saturday’s win over a fast-paced Arkansas team. The trio of Tim Hardaway, Jr., Glenn Robinson III, and Trey Burke should shine Tuesday night vs. Binghamton. Also, keep an eye on Mitch McGary. He has been a solid contributor off the bench all season and this is the sort of game he could put up big numbers.
2) No. 10 Illinois proved that it was a legitimate early-season threat by beating Gonzaga on Saturday and the Illini try to keep their undefeated record intact tonight vs. Norfolk State.
3) Andre Hollins leads No. 13 Minnesota against North Dakota State. It’s the teams second opponent from the Dakotas in a week, after the Gophers took care of a Nate Wolters-less South Dakota State team last Tuesday.
4) West Virginia began its season with a blowout loss to Gonzaga, then went on to lose to both Davidson and Oklahoma. Fear not, though, Mountaineer fans, because Bob Huggins has his team on a three-game winning streak. They take on Duquesne Tuesday.
5) Just because I like the backcourt combo of Malik Story and Deonte Burton, check out Nevada vs. Cal Poly Tuesday. You’ll remember, Cal Poly beat UCLA earlier this season.
The Rest of the Top 25:
No. 3 Michigan vs. Binghamton
No. 10 Illinois vs. Norfolk State
No. 13 Minnesota vs. North Dakota State
Other Notable Games
West Virginia vs. Duquesne
Rutgers vs. George Washington
Jackson State vs. St. Mary’s
Mar 11, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT
After only two seasons as head coach, Tennessee State has opted to fire head coach Travis Williams.
Mar 11, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
The Southland’s top team has been upset in the conference tournament for the past three seasons. Will the trend continue? Or has the arrival of Stephen F. Austin’s new coach, Brad Underwood, altered the trajectory?
Mar 11, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
UNC Wilmington on Tuesday announced that head coach Buzz Peterson is out after four years at the school.
Mar 11, 2014, 5:37 PM EDT
Every year, there are a handful of teams that could use a couple of wins in their respective league tournaments to gain entry into the field of 68. Here are five schools that need to string some wins together this week to feel comfortable making NCAA Tournament.
Mar 11, 2014, 5:21 PM EDT
In light of the back injury that will keep Joel Embiid out for the Big 12 tournament and could foreseeably saddle him to the bench for the entirety of the NCAA tournament, we decided to take a look at season-ending injuries to key players on past National Title contenders: Kenyon Martin: Cincinnati was the No. 1…
Mar 11, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here. Bowling Green will not be renewing the contract of head coach Louis Orr, the school announced on Tuesday. Orr had coached the Falcons for seven seasons, finishing with a 101-121 record and just one season with a .500 record or better. BGSU was 12-20 this past…
2014 American Athletic Conference Tournament Preview: Louisville looks to win its only year in the AAC
Mar 11, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
The American came into this season as a big unknown, but with five likely NCAA Tournament teams and three All-Americans, this is one of the better leagues in college basketball this season. Can Louisville win the league in its only year in the American or will Cincinnati, Memphis, SMU or UConn get in the way?
Mar 11, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Vegas is good at predicting winners. Here are their odds for all of the major conference tournaments.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:34 PM EDT
Four automatic bids will be earned on Tuesday night, with the West Coast Conference title game headlining.
Mar 11, 2014, 1:16 PM EDT
Doug McDermott. Player of the Year. This shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:47 PM EDT
Saint Louis will look to repeat as the Atlantic 10 Tournament champion, but it won’t be easy. The field in Brooklyn could have six, yes six, NCAA tournament-bound teams.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT
When you take your team to 34-0, you’re the National Coach of the Year. Pretty sure our forefathers wrote that into the Constitution.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT
Now 15 teams deep, the ACC’s showcase event will span five days in Greensboro. Between the new arrivals, one upcoming departure and a plethora of talented players, this will be must-see television.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT
The Duke star is NBCSports.com’s National Freshman of the Year.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:53 AM EDT
South Dakota will not be renewing the contract of their interim head coach.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:36 AM EDT
Click through to find out why it’s important to pay your rent on time.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:17 AM EDT
How safe is Gonzaga after last night’s win? Where will Delaware be seeded come Sunday?
Mar 11, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT
Florida is the best team in the country, let alone the SEC. But what else do we know about anyone in the league? Read why this week will tell us so much.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:52 AM EDT
Three more teams are dancing after tonight’s exhilarating conference tournament action.
- 2014 American Athletic Conference Tournament Preview: Louisville looks to win its only year in the AAC 1
- NBCSports.com National Player of the Year: Doug McDermott, Creighton 2
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 1
- NBCSports.com National Freshman of the Year: Jabari Parker, Duke 3
- Bracketology: Delaware, Manhattan, Wofford punch tickets 1
- 2014 SEC Tournament Preview: How will Kentucky, bubble teams fair? 1
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 1
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (12)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)