Dec 11, 2012, 1:04 PM EDT
Each day, CollegeBasketballTalk brings you the “Pregame Shootaround,” which will lay out a preview for the slate of games that night. We’ll take a look at some key match-ups and important games, as well as make some predictions and point out what you need to watch for. Take a look below at today’s edition:
Note: The weekend editions of Pregame Shootaround will be published half an hour prior to tip-off of the day’s first game.
Game of the Day: St. Joseph’s vs. Villanova
There are more high-profile games, including three Top 25 teams in action, but if you’re looking for a rivalry game, this Philadelphia match-up is the best on the docket Tuesday evening.
Both members of the Big 5, St. Joe’s and Villanova had different sets of expectations for the 2012-13 season, with the Hawks loaded with talented veterans and the Wildcats rebuilding after key losses.
St. Joe’s is led by one of the most underrated backcourts in the nation, Carl Jones and Langston Galloway, as well as frontcourt pieces C.J. Aiken and Ronald Roberts, Jr. We highlighted Phil Martelli’s team a few weeks back when they traveled to take on Doug McDermott and Creighton, which ended with a surprising 29-point loss. Expect a better outing Tuesday.
Villanova relies on freshman guard Ryan Arcidiacono, who has the raw talent, but is working to limit his turnovers. The biggest problem for coach Jay Wright and his Wildcats is offensive flow. They ranked 238th in the nation in field goal percentage, plagued by long stretches without scoring.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: Boston University vs. Harvard
With a Finals Week-shortened slate of games, this one looks to be the best on the Tuesday schedule.
After losing its first five games of the season, Boston comes into this intrastate match-up against Harvard on a three-game winning streak. The Terriers have a balanced scoring attack, with four different players averaging in double figures, led by junior D.J. Irving. Keep an eye on freshman point guard Maurice Watson, Jr., who leads the team in assists with 4.9 per game.
Harvard comes into Tuesday’s game after losing to Connecticut on the road, though the Crimson hung tough in the first half. Wesley Saunders was the team’s leading scorer in that game with 14 points and continues to be the go-to guy for Tommy Amaker’s team.
Five Things to Watch For
1) No. 3 Michigan showed its depth and versatility in Saturday’s win over a fast-paced Arkansas team. The trio of Tim Hardaway, Jr., Glenn Robinson III, and Trey Burke should shine Tuesday night vs. Binghamton. Also, keep an eye on Mitch McGary. He has been a solid contributor off the bench all season and this is the sort of game he could put up big numbers.
2) No. 10 Illinois proved that it was a legitimate early-season threat by beating Gonzaga on Saturday and the Illini try to keep their undefeated record intact tonight vs. Norfolk State.
3) Andre Hollins leads No. 13 Minnesota against North Dakota State. It’s the teams second opponent from the Dakotas in a week, after the Gophers took care of a Nate Wolters-less South Dakota State team last Tuesday.
4) West Virginia began its season with a blowout loss to Gonzaga, then went on to lose to both Davidson and Oklahoma. Fear not, though, Mountaineer fans, because Bob Huggins has his team on a three-game winning streak. They take on Duquesne Tuesday.
5) Just because I like the backcourt combo of Malik Story and Deonte Burton, check out Nevada vs. Cal Poly Tuesday. You’ll remember, Cal Poly beat UCLA earlier this season.
The Rest of the Top 25:
No. 3 Michigan vs. Binghamton
No. 10 Illinois vs. Norfolk State
No. 13 Minnesota vs. North Dakota State
Other Notable Games
West Virginia vs. Duquesne
Rutgers vs. George Washington
Jackson State vs. St. Mary’s
Apr 20, 2014, 12:58 AM EDT
According to a report, Louisiana Tech’s Michael White is the focus of Tennessee’s search for a new head coach.
Apr 19, 2014, 11:03 PM EDT
Just over a week after his appeal to be released from his scholarship at Marshall was granted, Kareem Canty’s decided to transfer to Auburn.
Apr 19, 2014, 9:17 PM EDT
A Kentucky fan promised to get a tattoo of Willie Cauley-Stein if the 7-footer returned to Lexington for his junior season. Saturday, Michael Gray followed through.
Apr 19, 2014, 7:36 PM EDT
UNLV has added another player to its 2014 recruiting class, as shooting guard Patrick McCaw verbally committed to the Mountain West program.
Apr 19, 2014, 6:24 PM EDT
Arizona State has made another addition to its roster, landing a commitment from former UNLV forward Savon Goodman.
Apr 19, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
Forward Zach LeDay has decided to leave the USF program after spending two seasons in Tampa.
Apr 19, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
New Florida A&M AD Kellen Winslow Sr. has already decided that the basketball program needs a new leader, as head coach Clemon Johnson was relieved of his duties Friday.
Apr 19, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
Will highly-touted Colombian center Tonny Trocha-Morelos finally be joining the Texas A&M program?
Apr 19, 2014, 2:39 PM EDT
Michigan had some open scholarships following the 2014 NBA Draft departures of Nik Stauskas and Glenn Robinson III and they filled one of those on Saturday with a commitment from senior guard Muhammad Ali Abdur-Rahkman.
Apr 19, 2014, 1:25 PM EDT
Gonzaga will have a very tough non-conference slate during the 2014-15 season.
Apr 19, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
Two-and-through sounds more and more likely to happen.
Apr 19, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill and Satchel Pierce are following former Golden Eagles coach Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech as the duo committed to the Hokies on Saturday morning.
POSTERIZED: SMU commit Emmanuel Mudiay flushes a ridiculous alley-oop during Jordan Brand Classic (VIDEO)
Apr 19, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
SMU commit Emmanuel Mudiay put down the best dunk at the Jordan Brand Classic.
Apr 18, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
Northern Illinois extended the contract of head coach Mark Montgomery through the 2017-18 season.
Chicago duo Jahlil Okafor, Cliff Alexander earn MVP honors as East beats West in Jordan Brand Classic
Apr 18, 2014, 9:39 PM EDT
Chicago natives Jahlil Okafor and Cliff Alexander earned MVP honors as the East beat the West in the Jordan Brand Classic.
Apr 18, 2014, 8:40 PM EDT
Houston is allowing Danuel House and TaShawn Thomas to transfer, but only to certain programs.
Apr 18, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT
Indiana grabbed a commitment from a 2014 center on Friday night.
Apr 18, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
Miami forward James Kelly is moving on.
Apr 18, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
It was a busy day for the Butler Bulldogs on Friday as freshman guard Elijah Brown intends to transfer while former Indiana wing Austin Etherington will transfer to the Big East program.
Apr 18, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
Ole Miss picked up a big graduate transfer on Friday when former Tennessee State forward M.J. Rhett signed with the Rebels.
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 4
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)