Dec 11, 2012, 1:04 PM EST
Each day, CollegeBasketballTalk brings you the “Pregame Shootaround,” which will lay out a preview for the slate of games that night. We’ll take a look at some key match-ups and important games, as well as make some predictions and point out what you need to watch for. Take a look below at today’s edition:
Note: The weekend editions of Pregame Shootaround will be published half an hour prior to tip-off of the day’s first game.
Game of the Day: St. Joseph’s vs. Villanova
There are more high-profile games, including three Top 25 teams in action, but if you’re looking for a rivalry game, this Philadelphia match-up is the best on the docket Tuesday evening.
Both members of the Big 5, St. Joe’s and Villanova had different sets of expectations for the 2012-13 season, with the Hawks loaded with talented veterans and the Wildcats rebuilding after key losses.
St. Joe’s is led by one of the most underrated backcourts in the nation, Carl Jones and Langston Galloway, as well as frontcourt pieces C.J. Aiken and Ronald Roberts, Jr. We highlighted Phil Martelli’s team a few weeks back when they traveled to take on Doug McDermott and Creighton, which ended with a surprising 29-point loss. Expect a better outing Tuesday.
Villanova relies on freshman guard Ryan Arcidiacono, who has the raw talent, but is working to limit his turnovers. The biggest problem for coach Jay Wright and his Wildcats is offensive flow. They ranked 238th in the nation in field goal percentage, plagued by long stretches without scoring.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: Boston University vs. Harvard
With a Finals Week-shortened slate of games, this one looks to be the best on the Tuesday schedule.
After losing its first five games of the season, Boston comes into this intrastate match-up against Harvard on a three-game winning streak. The Terriers have a balanced scoring attack, with four different players averaging in double figures, led by junior D.J. Irving. Keep an eye on freshman point guard Maurice Watson, Jr., who leads the team in assists with 4.9 per game.
Harvard comes into Tuesday’s game after losing to Connecticut on the road, though the Crimson hung tough in the first half. Wesley Saunders was the team’s leading scorer in that game with 14 points and continues to be the go-to guy for Tommy Amaker’s team.
Five Things to Watch For
1) No. 3 Michigan showed its depth and versatility in Saturday’s win over a fast-paced Arkansas team. The trio of Tim Hardaway, Jr., Glenn Robinson III, and Trey Burke should shine Tuesday night vs. Binghamton. Also, keep an eye on Mitch McGary. He has been a solid contributor off the bench all season and this is the sort of game he could put up big numbers.
2) No. 10 Illinois proved that it was a legitimate early-season threat by beating Gonzaga on Saturday and the Illini try to keep their undefeated record intact tonight vs. Norfolk State.
3) Andre Hollins leads No. 13 Minnesota against North Dakota State. It’s the teams second opponent from the Dakotas in a week, after the Gophers took care of a Nate Wolters-less South Dakota State team last Tuesday.
4) West Virginia began its season with a blowout loss to Gonzaga, then went on to lose to both Davidson and Oklahoma. Fear not, though, Mountaineer fans, because Bob Huggins has his team on a three-game winning streak. They take on Duquesne Tuesday.
5) Just because I like the backcourt combo of Malik Story and Deonte Burton, check out Nevada vs. Cal Poly Tuesday. You’ll remember, Cal Poly beat UCLA earlier this season.
The Rest of the Top 25:
No. 3 Michigan vs. Binghamton
No. 10 Illinois vs. Norfolk State
No. 13 Minnesota vs. North Dakota State
Other Notable Games
West Virginia vs. Duquesne
Rutgers vs. George Washington
Jackson State vs. St. Mary’s
Jan 25, 2015, 10:35 PM EST
Northwestern has lost its last three games by a total of five points.
Jan 25, 2015, 9:36 PM EST
Lucas Siewert joins small forward Brendan Bailey as Arizona State’s second four-star verbal commitment in the 2016 class.
Jan 25, 2015, 7:00 PM EST
Eight days after attempting 25 three-pointers in their loss to No. 5 Duke, the Cardinals attempted just 12 and scored 40 points in the paint against Pittsburgh.
Three-pointer with 5.2 seconds remaining completes second-half rally for No. 20 Northern Iowa (VIDEO)
Jan 25, 2015, 6:24 PM EST
UNI erased a 12-point second half deficit to win at Illinois State, and they remain a game behind No. 14 Wichita State in the Missouri Valley standings.
Jan 25, 2015, 5:38 PM EST
Chris Perry leads the Bulls in rebounding, and chest pains suffered during the team’s workout Saturday resulted in his having to be hospitalized.
Jan 25, 2015, 5:09 PM EST
Also of note on Sunday was Ohio State picking up its first RPI Top 50 win of the season, and both No. 8 Notre Dame and No. 13 Maryland coming back from double-digit deficits.
Jan 25, 2015, 4:13 PM EST
Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski picked up career win No. 1,000 as the No. 5 Blue Devils bested St. John’s.
Jan 25, 2015, 2:30 PM EST
Well-traveled former Ole Miss guard Derrick Millinghaus has found a new home.
Jan 25, 2015, 1:21 PM EST
Kentucky is on the board in the 2016 class with a highly-touted big man from New Zealand.
Jan 25, 2015, 1:00 PM EST
A former four-star prospect is heading to Rhode Island.
Jan 25, 2015, 12:00 PM EST
A former Miami point guard is finding tremendous success on the football field and is a even being talked about as a first-rounder in the 2015 NFL Draft.
Jan 25, 2015, 10:10 AM EST
One of the best big men in the 2016 class could decide between three powerhouse programs on Sunday.
Jan 25, 2015, 9:00 AM EST
Coach K goes for win No. 1,000 against St. John’s and a fun battle of elite freshmen guards in the Big Ten are Sunday’s highlights.
Jan 25, 2015, 1:05 AM EST
I feel comfortable saying I’m a better dancer than Josh Pastner. Not by much, though.
Jan 24, 2015, 11:58 PM EST
Get caught up on everything that has happened in college basketball on Saturday.
Northwestern State staff wears special pants for ‘Suits and Sneakers’ game against McNeese State (PHOTO)
Jan 24, 2015, 11:34 PM EST
The pants worn by the coaching staff were one of the highlights in Northwestern State’s 92-68 win over McNeese State.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:31 PM EST
Crawford and his teammates are looking to rebound from the 18-point loss they suffered at Tulsa Wednesday night.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:20 PM EST
Peel finished the game with 17 points, 13 rebounds and five blocks as the Blue Devils picked up their first win in NEC play.
Jan 24, 2015, 8:34 PM EST
Baylor really needed this win, but Oklahoma has now lost three of their last four.
Jan 24, 2015, 7:20 PM EST
The Tribe bounced back from a loss at Delaware earlier in the week to move into a tie for first in the CAA.
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 1
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)