Dec 11, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
It’s day two of exam week. Very little happened last night on the hardwood. There’s a bit more action on tonight, but none of the “top games” are required viewing. Again, if you have things to take care of this week, do it.
Lets hit the links.
Monday’s Top Games:
7:00 p.m. – Binghamton @ No. 3 Michigan
7:00 p.m. – St. Joseph’s @ Villanova
7:00 p.m. – West Virginia @ Duquesne
7:30 p.m. – George Washington @ Rutgers
8:00 p.m. – Norfolk State @ No.10 Illinois
8:00 p.m. – Chattanooga @ LSU
9:00 p.m. – North Dakota State @ No.13 Minnesota
10:00 p.m. – Santa Clara at San Jose State
Read of the Day:
Gary Parrish’s “Poll Attacks” is always a good-read, but his latest entry is especially good. He’s got the best wit in the business, and it’s on display. Read it (Eye on College Basketball)
Read of the Day:
Mike DeCourcy looks back on the surprises, both good and bad, from the first month of college hoops. Make sure you read this. (Sporting News)
Michael Carter-Williams debunks arrest rumors: The Syracuse sophomore says he was never arrested, police reports don’t indicate anything and nobody is talking.
Exam week essay on the ideal candidate to coach at UCLA: UCLA is, historically, one of college basketball’s most successful programs. If you could hire any coach in America to rebuild the Bruins in terms of wins, respect and fan support, who would it be, and why?
Wish List for the Louisville Cardinals: What do the Cardinals need this holiday season? How about some shooting improvements, from both the line and the perimeter.
NBC Sports and Yahoo! are teaming up:Yahoo! and the NBC Sports Group announced a content and promotional deal combining Yahoo! Sports’ original reporting expertise, coverage of big events, Rivals college content and popular fantasy sports products with NBC Sports Group’s growing digital assets and significant television promotion and integration. But don’t worry, because College Basketball Talk will remain your go-to source for the latest news & notes from the college hoops world.
– Mike Moser suffered a dislocated elbow on Sunday night. Early indications were not good, but it looks like the superstar forward may be able to return prior to conference play (Sporting News)
- Siena forward Lionel Gomis has missed the last four games in order to deal with personal issues and his status with the team remains unclear (Albany Times-Union)
Observations & Insight:
– This is something you may want to keep an eye on: Big East catholic schools held a meeting in New York City to discuss potentially breaking off from the conference (A Jersey Guy)
- This however, I’m not too sure about: Duke and UNC leaving the ACC? I’ll believe it when I see it. (The Best Basketball Blog)
- Cincinnati president Santa J. Ono will shave his head if the Bearcats beat Marshall on Saturday (The Dagger)
- Jeff Eisenberg spoke with Brian Okam, he of the now infamous “Worst free throw ever”. I’m glad the Appalachian State center can take it in stride (The Dagger)
- Jay Bilas and Chad Ford state their case for the best point guards in the country. (ESPN Insider)
- North Carolina is having issues in the backcourt, but also up front. When will Roy Williams settle on a consistent start at center? (Tar Heel Fan)
- More good stuff on Canisius, which is reaping the benefits of the father-son duo of Billy and Jimmy Baron (Eye on College Basketball)
- Myron Medcalf provides a lengthy, yet entertaining recap of the first month of hoops (ESPN)
- Brian Ewart on the recent struggles of Villanova big men and why it didn’t have to be this way (VU Hoops)
- Kyle Wiltjer is an assassin from beyond the arc. But the Kentucky sophomore is shooting well below average and his efforts are a hindrance to his team (Sea of Blue)
- This is an excellent breakdown of Deonte Burton’s made baskets against Washington. The Huskies need to be able to stop guards who like to penetrate, but they haven’t been able to do so yet. (UW Dawg Pound)
- A nice read on the growth and development made by Ohio State forward DeShaun Thomas, who is on pace for an All-American caliber season (Eleven Warriors)
- Where have all the points gone? A look at the dwindling offensive numbers across college hoops this season (Kentucky Sports Radio)
- Marist’s Devin Price scored his 1,000th career point on Sunday, the first Red Fox to do so under head coach Chuck Martin (Big Apple Buckets)
Odds & Ends:
– According to The Big Lead, Syracuse sophomore phenom Michael Carter-Williams was involved is some sort of incident at a Lord & Taylor store at the Destiny USA mall. I’m not big on rumors, and nothing seems to have come from but TBL did a lot of digging and his efforts should be commended. (The Big Lead)
- A quick little list of the top-5 best players in UPenn history (Philahoops.com)
- You’re kidding right? Another Freshman of the Year award watch list and no mention of Marcus Smart? Not only is he one of the top freshman in the country, he’s probably somewhere on the National PoY watch list (Run The Floor)
Picture of the Day:
I know this is a day late, but it’s such a strong scene. Superstar Mike Moser reeling in pain, having his dislocated elbow stabilized. Luckily Moser should be able to return before Mountain West Conference play begins. (Las Vegas Sun)
Dunk(s) of the Day:
Who knew Creighton’s Grant Gibbs could throw down like that? I sure didn’t. (Ballin’ is a Habit)
Dunk(s) of the Day:
No one man has put up as many big dunks this sesaon as Detroit’s Doug Anderson. Here he is throwing down a half-court ally-oop. (Always Sunny in Detroit)
Video(s) of the Day:
Scotty Lubkeman is a high school student in Golden Colorado and got a chance to finish the final minute of one of his high school’s home games. And wouldn’t you know, the kid banked in a 3-pointer. (Busted Coverage)
Do you like the new Morning Mix? Hate it? Have a suggestion or wanted something featured? Troy Machir will take all your praise, insults and inquiries via Twitter (@TroyMachir)
Sep 20, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
Three Mountain West programs and one Big Ten program among the schools on the Las Vegas native’s list.
Sep 20, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
The elite PG from New Jersey had his first in-person meeting with Kentucky head coach John Calipari on Thursday.
Sep 20, 2014, 6:18 PM EDT
The South Charleston HS floor general was one of the state’s best players last season, and he could prep for a year before joining the WVU program.
Sep 20, 2014, 5:03 PM EDT
The son of a former national champion has made a name for himself by scoring 28 points per game as a junior.
Sep 20, 2014, 3:35 PM EDT
Mount St. Mary’s rewarded head coach Jamion Christian with an extension.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Gonzaga has one of its deepest teams of all time and the Bulldogs are challenging themselves with a difficult non-conference schedule.
Sep 20, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
Bradley forward Auston Barnes has been charged with misdemeanor domestic battery following an August arrest.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Pitt and head coach Jamie Dixon no longer hold a commitment from a former 2016 recruit.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
A three-star forward has four schools that are heavily involved.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Matt McQuaid can really light it up from the perimeter.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:50 PM EDT
Stephen Zimmerman is ranked the No. 10 overall recruit by Rivals.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Kentucky fans camped out on Monday in order to officially camp out for tickets on Wednesday morning.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
The Rhode Island forward is eligible after missing the 2013-2014 season.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
The 6-foot-8 forward has two years of eligibility remaining.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
He was arrested on Feb. 14.
Sep 19, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
The Yellow Jackets have added two new assistant to the coaching staff this offseason.
Sep 19, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
The Orange holds the first of two exhibition games on Nov. 2.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
The Roselle Catholic (New Jersey) product picked the Gamecocks over Seton Hall and Rhode Island.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:46 PM EDT
Interestingly enough, UAB visits Chattanooga December 22.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)