Dec 12, 2012, 9:30 PM EDT
Mike Moser may be out for a month or more after an ugly elbow dislocation, which would be bad news for any team. Moser was a preseason all-american. Those aren’t usually easy to replace.
The good news for the Runnin’ Rebels is that they do have some reinforcements on the way.
Next week, when UNLV travels to UTEP, former top ten recruit Khem Birch will be making his debut, which will help bolster the front court depth with Moser in a sling.
But that wasn’t a secret. The bigger news is that freshman point guard DaQuan Cook won’t be redshirting this season after all. The 6-foot-1 Cook was initially going to be held out for a year along with Demetrius Morant.
“We wouldn’t have made the decision to make him available if I didn’t have a plan to utilize him throughout the season,” head coach Dave Rice told the Las Vegas Sun. “Every game will be different. It will be a feel thing based on matchups and other factors.”
Rice has repeatedly said how impressed he is with the Baltimore native in practice, and this could end up being a beneficial move for the Rebels. As good as Anthony Marshall is, there are questions about whether or not he’s the kind of point guard that UNLV needs to be successful this season. Cook doesn’t necessarily have the reputation of being a pass-first point guard, but given the makeup of the UNLV roster, it may be a good move to get Marshall off the ball.
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 2
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 4
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)