Dec 12, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
Each day, CollegeBasketballTalk brings you the “Pregame Shootaround,” which will lay out a preview for the slate of games that night. We’ll take a look at some key match-ups and important games, as well as make some predictions and point out what you need to watch for. Take a look below at today’s edition:
Note: The weekend editions of Pregame Shootaround will be published half an hour prior to tip-off of the day’s first game.
Game of the Day: DePaul vs. Arizona State
Really? Yes, and here’s why. This match-up is the only one Wednesday that features two BCS conference schools. Would you rather tune in to see No. 7 Ohio State likely take care of Savannah State early? Perhaps. But individuals are the ones who make DePaul-Arizona State worthwhile.
Point guard Jahii Carson has completely transformed the way the Sun Devils play offense this season. Last year, Herb Sendek’s team finished 305th in the nation with just 61.0 points per game. This year, with Carson running the point and pushing the offense, the Sun Devils are ranked 29th in the country with 79.0 points per game.
On the other side, Cleveland Melvin is another major asset on a team that has struggled in recent years. He’s averaging 18.6 points and 8.3 rebounds per game.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: Towson vs. Temple
The slate is pretty dry Wednesday night on quality mid-major match-ups, so Towson vs. Temple is your best bet. The Tigers are coming off a game against Georgetown that was about as ugly as they come, and they came up six points short. They now travel to Temple, which was handed its first loss of the season to Duke over the weekend.
Scootie Randall was unable to get going for Temple against Duke, but expects the Owls’ leading scorer to bounce back against Towson. Khalif Wyatt also struggled, shooting just 3-of-15 from the floor in the loss.
Five Things to Watch For
1) Point guard Jahii Carson has completely revitalized the Arizona State offense and he faces off against Cleveland Melvin and DePaul tonight. (See above).
2) Ohio State is the lone ranked team in action Wednesday night. They take on Savannah State. Who will be the second scoring option alongside Deshaun Thomas?
3) Since losing its season opener to Kentucky, Maryland has won eight in a row. Alex Len continues to look like a lottery pick. He matches up with Monmouth Wednesday.
4) After beating Kentucky, Baylor stumbled with a loss to Northwestern. They have a chance to bounce back against in-state rival Lamar, who is just 1-8 this season after making the NCAA tournament in 2011-12.
5) Wisconsin lost a tough in-state game to Marquette on Saturday. Freshman Sam Dekker was just 2-of-10 in that game. See if he bounces back against Green Bay.
The Rest of the Top 25:
No. 7 Ohio State vs. Savannah State
Other Notable Games
Colorado vs. Fresno State
Monmouth vs. Maryland
Green Bay vs. Wisconsin
Lamar vs. Baylor
Oregon State vs. Portland State
Oct 24, 2014, 10:55 PM EDT
Tom Izzo does it again. Add it to the long line of amazing midnight madness entrances.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:24 PM EDT
Chris Mack and his daughters performed ‘Paul Revere’ at Musketeer Madness on Friday night.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
The Wisconsin forward is likely to miss a week or two
Oct 24, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Ed Cooley adds a 6-foot-8 forward to the Friars’ front court.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
The former Virginia Tech Hokie will be a big boost to SMU’s perimeter.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Manhattan and head coach Steve Masiello had some issues to address this spring, but thanks in part to their departed senior class the Jaspers are well-positioned to once again contend in the MAAC.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
One of the nation’s highly-touted bigs is closer to making a decision after eliminating two programs from his list.
Oct 24, 2014, 4:22 PM EDT
Jones became the second coach to lead LSU to postseason appearances in his first two years this past spring.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
Kellogg’s led his alma mater to 21 wins or more in each of the last three seasons.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:39 PM EDT
Georgetown holds a 35-29 lead in their all-time series with UConn.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Villanova went 29-5 last season and return essentially the same lineup. Why aren’t more people talking about them?
Oct 24, 2014, 12:13 PM EDT
Texas now has two four-star commitments, with Kerwin Roach joining Eric Davis on Friday.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Of Baylor’s five verbal commitments in the Class of 2015 four are guards, including their latest commit.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Kentucky’s on top, but who’s next in line?
Oct 24, 2014, 12:06 AM EDT
Syracuse’s men’s basketball and football programs are under investigation, with the stakes being higher for Jim Boeheim’s program.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
Joshua Smith averaged 11.5 points per game before being ruled academically ineligible last season.
Oct 23, 2014, 10:49 PM EDT
Cam Payne became the star of Murray State as a freshman, but he wouldn’t have gotten there if he had a back up. Why?
Oct 23, 2014, 9:53 PM EDT
The preseason favorites to win the Atlantic 10 added a new teammate Thursday.
Oct 23, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
Shawn Lester averaged 11.9 points and 4.2 rebounds per game in the sixth man role last season.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)