St. Joe’s forward Halil Kanacevic gives crowd middle finger, misses key free throws in loss to Villanova
Dec 12, 2012, 10:02 AM EST
St. Joe’s forward Halil Kanacevic experienced both ends of the emotional spectrum Tuesday night in his team’s 65-61 loss to Villanova.
With the game tied at 47 with just under 10 minutes to go, the junior hit a three-pointer to give the Hawks a 50-47 lead. While jogging back down the floor on defense, as recounted by The700Level.com, Kanacevic flashed the middle finger to the Villanova faithful in attendance.
The Associated Press has a picture of the act floating on the wire, along with a censored version at CSNPhilly.com.
But things got worse for Kanacevic.
With under a minute remaining, he missed two free throws with his team up, 61-60. Villanova’s James Bell came back down the floor and hit a three-pointer that would put the Wildcats ahead.
Then, with 3.5 seconds remaining and his team down, 63-61, Kanacevic was tabbed with inbounding duties. In an attempt to avoid a five-second violation, he threw the ball off the leg of Villanova’s Maurice Sutton, but the ball bounced back and hit him before going out of bounds, causing a turnover.
The call was later disputed, but stood, giving Villanova a chance to seal the game, and they did.
“I did not [Kanacevic's hand gesture] ‘cause there was a timeout called and I saw people coming off the court. I didn’t see it,” St. Joe’s coach Phil Martelli said after the game, as reported by CSN Philly’s Matt Haughton.
“One of the things that we will mention to them is that on the road you play to silence. That’s all you want. It certainly wasn’t a raucous atmosphere up until that point, but I’ll look at it and see,” he continued. “I don’t think it made us play faster or out of character. We just made some out-of-character plays and plays that were home runs instead of singles.”
After the game, Kanacevic deleted his Twitter account.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 0
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)