Dec 12, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
On day three of exam week, the Catholic-7 emerged as this big storyline of the day. Plus, there were some half-decent games played out on the hardwood. Remember, you have to take everything with a grain of salt during exam week. We’re working with slim pickins here.
Lets hit the links.
Wednesday’s Top Games:
7:00 p.m. – Savannah State @ No. 7 Ohio State
7:00 p.m. – Towson @ Temple
8:00 p.m. – Monmouth @ Maryland
9:00 p.m. – DePaul @ Arizona
9:00 p.m. – UW-Green Bay @ Wisconsin
9:30 p.m. – Lamar @ Baylor
10:00 p.m. – Colorado @ Fresno State
10:35 p.m. – Oregon State @ Portland State
Read of the Day:
Halil Kanacevic flipped off the Villanova student section. It was stupid, it was dumb, it was regrettable, and it ultimately cost his team the game. Aaron Bracy provides a great-read on the 21-year old’s mistake and reaction. We’ve all done stupid things before. But luckily for most of us, they didn’t appear on national television. Read it. (Philahoops.com)
Late Night Snacks: Trevor Mbakwe had his first big-time performance of the season, Siyani Chambers won the game for Harvard, and Halil Kanacevic flipped off the Villanova student section.
Villanova wins the Holy War, but St. Joe’s is still blowing close games: Villanova displayed great toughness against the Hawks last night, but were helped out by some poor decision-making by St. Joe’s down the stretch. The Hawks were the favorites to win the A-10 and have a solid win over Notre Dame under their belt. But still, this was St. Joe’s game to win, and they lost.
Does it really make sense for the hoops schools to leave the Big East? As mentioned, the big story line from Tuesday was the reports that the catholic schools in the Big East want to break off and either start their own conference or join the Atlantic-10. But does either option really make sense?
Cincinnati e-mails show school administrators mulling options in Big 12, ACC: As the conference expansion landscape continues to change, Cincinnati continues to mull their options.
Properly evaluating Oklahoma State guard Marcus Smart: The freshman phenom is tearing up the Midwest yet has been somewhat of a lightning rod for debate. Some say he’s the best player in the country, others think he’s not a good enough shooter. Rob Dauster breaks it down for you.
45 different scouts will be in attendance for North Texas vs. Lehigh: When the two mid-major programs square off next Thursday, 26 different NBA teams will have representatives on hand to watch North Texas’ Tony Mitchell and Lehigh’s C.J. McCollum.
Exam week essay on how to cure what ails Kentucky: Kentucky is currently battling through the roughest year of the John Calipari era. What is the root problem for the Wildcats and how, if at all, can it be remedied in order for the team to make their third-straight Final Four?
- Butler freshman Chris Harrison-Docks is transferring to Western Kentucky. (Topper Talk)
- Fordham freshman Devon “Fatty” McMillan granted release, will transfer at the end of semester (SNY.tv)
- UNLV freshman DaQuan Cook was expected to take a redshirt season, but it looks like he will see meaningful minutes on Thursday in what will be his first game of the season (Las Vegas Sun)
Observations & Insight:
- Gary Parrish has the answers to all your questions regarding the potential departure of the non-football members of the Big East (Eye on College Basketball)
- The addition of the Catholic-7 to the A-10 would be a welcomed with open arms by VCU fans (VCU Ram Nation)
- The CAA is moving it’s postseason tournament from Richmond to Baltimore, probably because Old Dominion and Viriginia Commonwealth are no longer members. (Baltimore Sun)
- This is still in the rumor stage, but it should be monitored: Mountain West to keep Boise State, SDSU; add Houston, SMU, Tulsa, BYU (Mountain West Connection)
- It was announced that the BracketBusters event will shut down after this season. With all the TV coverage availbile through ESPNU, NBCSN and CBSSN, the need for a platform for mid-majors is no longer needed. (ESPN)
- The NCAA honored all-time greats yesterday as part of 75 years of March Madness celebration (NCAA.com)
- Did anyone expect San Francisco to be this good? I know I didn’t. (College Chalk Talk)
- Duquesne got a huge win last night against West Virginia, the first “signature win” of Jim Ferry’s tenure in Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh Post Gazette)
Odds & Ends:
- Michael Carter-Williams states there was “a big misunderstanding” regarding the incident at a Lord & Taylor store at the Destiny USA mall. (Sporting News)
- T. Boone Pickens purchased remaining 4,000 tickets for Oklahoma State vs. Gonzaga game in order to fill out the arena (NewsOK.com)
Picture of the Day:
#FacePalm. Halil Kanacevic, please take note. If you are going to flip off the opposing team’s student section, you must a) make sure you win the game, b) flip them off AFTER you’ve beaten their team or c) make your foul shots. The St. Joe’s forward did none of these and his team ultimately lost to Villanova 65-61 last night. (The 700 Level)
Dunk(s) of the Day:
Rodney Williams and Trevor Mbakwe spent a lot of time above the rim during the Golden Gophers in over South Dakota State last night. I love the 360-jam, but you gotta stay on your feet homeboy. (The Daily Gopher)
Video(s) of the Day:
A teaser trailer for the All Access: Inside Memphis video for Inside Memphis Basketball. I’m not sure when it’s coming out, but man am I looking forward to it.
Do you like the new Morning Mix? Hate it? Have a suggestion or wanted something featured? Troy Machir will take all your praise, insults and inquiries via Twitter (@TroyMachir)
Jul 24, 2014, 10:04 PM EDT
Eric McKnight’s waiver to play immediately was denied by the SEC.
Jul 24, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Groce is under .500 in Big Ten play in his two seasons at Illinois.
Jul 24, 2014, 8:34 PM EDT
Florida State will play five non-conference games against teams that reached the NCAA tournament last season.
Jul 24, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
The four latest five-star recruits that Cal landed all showed off their Kentucky threads on instagram.
Jul 24, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
Mostella has travelled a long road to get to Knoxville.
Jul 24, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Austin has found a landing place, but it’s still a long way from the Division I ranks.
Jul 24, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
Three true road games and a visit from the reigning champs?
Jul 24, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
Thon Maker is a top five recruit in 2016 and would be a top two or three recruit in 2015.
Jul 24, 2014, 1:53 PM EDT
Hoiberg had surgery to replace his pacemaker last week.
Jul 24, 2014, 12:21 PM EDT
The events will be played in November and December
Jul 24, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
Mykhailiuk is playing in the B Division of the event.
Jul 24, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
The final open period has begun, with Corey Sanders and Jalen Brunson among the standouts.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:59 PM EDT
Perry’s been at USC Upstate since 2009, and among the players he’s helped recruit was former great Torrey Craig.
Jul 23, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Brown averaged 5.5 points per game and made 13 starts in 35 appearances for the Ragin’ Cajuns.
Jul 23, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Lindsay played his freshman season at Kansas
Jul 23, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Beasley has been one of the nations top performers over the last three months
Jul 23, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
Thomas is a bulldozer on the block.
Jul 23, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
It’s the latest in a long line of bourbon bottles commemorating celebrities in the state.
Jul 23, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
Rick vs. Richard could get awkward for the rest of the family
Jul 23, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT
Will this be enough for Charleston to finally get rid of their embattled head coach?
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Dayton unveils new logo, court and basketball uniforms (2)