Dec 13, 2012, 11:13 AM EDT
In a move expected by many, 2014 point guard Romelo Trimble made the news official on Thursday and verbally committed to attend Maryland, as reported by Inside MD Sports.
Listed at 6-2, 170 pounds, Trimble is Maryland’s first commitment in the 2014 class and began making the transition from shooting guard to the point with the DC Assault program during the summer. As a sophomore at Bishop O’Connell High School Trimble averaged 20 points per contest in the tough WCAC.
“When I was playing shooting guard, I didn’t think it would happen. Most point guards now are six feet or taller and I was just a 6-2 shooting guard,” he said.
With Maryland in need of guards and targeting several other 2014 players at the position, Trimble, regarded by some as a top-50 player in 2014, knew time was of the essence.
“Coach Turgeon told me they were only going to take two guards and he wanted me to be one of the key guards. Maryland is where I really wanted to go,” Trimble said. “It’s a dream come true.”
Maryland has a point guard committed in the 2013 class in Roddy Peters, but of their current backcourt contributors only Nick Faust and Seth Allen would have eligibility remaining when 2014 rolled around.
At his parents’ request Trimble, who made his decision last week but didn’t announce until today, took some time to think about his college decision but knew where he wanted to attend college all along.
“When they offered, I wanted to do it right away, but my parents wanted me to wait a little bit and take some visits. Then we talked about it and I wanted to announce it [today] for my mom’s birthday,” Trimble told Inside MD Sports.
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)