Dec 13, 2012, 11:13 AM EST
In a move expected by many, 2014 point guard Romelo Trimble made the news official on Thursday and verbally committed to attend Maryland, as reported by Inside MD Sports.
Listed at 6-2, 170 pounds, Trimble is Maryland’s first commitment in the 2014 class and began making the transition from shooting guard to the point with the DC Assault program during the summer. As a sophomore at Bishop O’Connell High School Trimble averaged 20 points per contest in the tough WCAC.
“When I was playing shooting guard, I didn’t think it would happen. Most point guards now are six feet or taller and I was just a 6-2 shooting guard,” he said.
With Maryland in need of guards and targeting several other 2014 players at the position, Trimble, regarded by some as a top-50 player in 2014, knew time was of the essence.
“Coach Turgeon told me they were only going to take two guards and he wanted me to be one of the key guards. Maryland is where I really wanted to go,” Trimble said. “It’s a dream come true.”
Maryland has a point guard committed in the 2013 class in Roddy Peters, but of their current backcourt contributors only Nick Faust and Seth Allen would have eligibility remaining when 2014 rolled around.
At his parents’ request Trimble, who made his decision last week but didn’t announce until today, took some time to think about his college decision but knew where he wanted to attend college all along.
“When they offered, I wanted to do it right away, but my parents wanted me to wait a little bit and take some visits. Then we talked about it and I wanted to announce it [today] for my mom’s birthday,” Trimble told Inside MD Sports.
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 20
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)