Dec 13, 2012, 11:13 AM EDT
In a move expected by many, 2014 point guard Romelo Trimble made the news official on Thursday and verbally committed to attend Maryland, as reported by Inside MD Sports.
Listed at 6-2, 170 pounds, Trimble is Maryland’s first commitment in the 2014 class and began making the transition from shooting guard to the point with the DC Assault program during the summer. As a sophomore at Bishop O’Connell High School Trimble averaged 20 points per contest in the tough WCAC.
“When I was playing shooting guard, I didn’t think it would happen. Most point guards now are six feet or taller and I was just a 6-2 shooting guard,” he said.
With Maryland in need of guards and targeting several other 2014 players at the position, Trimble, regarded by some as a top-50 player in 2014, knew time was of the essence.
“Coach Turgeon told me they were only going to take two guards and he wanted me to be one of the key guards. Maryland is where I really wanted to go,” Trimble said. “It’s a dream come true.”
Maryland has a point guard committed in the 2013 class in Roddy Peters, but of their current backcourt contributors only Nick Faust and Seth Allen would have eligibility remaining when 2014 rolled around.
At his parents’ request Trimble, who made his decision last week but didn’t announce until today, took some time to think about his college decision but knew where he wanted to attend college all along.
“When they offered, I wanted to do it right away, but my parents wanted me to wait a little bit and take some visits. Then we talked about it and I wanted to announce it [today] for my mom’s birthday,” Trimble told Inside MD Sports.
Jul 4, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
Kansas won its debut overseas this summer as Wayne Selden had a big outing.
Jul 4, 2015, 9:05 AM EDT
UConn landed a quality guard in the Class of 2016.
Jul 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Given Oregon’s many perimeter options, minutes were likely to be at a premium for Rorie in 2015-16.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
The top four players remain the same.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:19 PM EDT
The redshirt junior has not played since January 2014.
Jul 3, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
The rising sophomore was originally being blocked from transferring to 55 schools.
Jul 3, 2015, 6:08 PM EDT
Ohio State begins its 2017 class with a local product.
Jul 3, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson led USA Basketball with 17 points.
Jul 3, 2015, 2:10 PM EDT
A lot of unranked players made their way into the top five in a surprisingly deep class.
Jul 3, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson led four Americans in double figures with 17 points.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Minnesota is one of four schools the 6-foot-10 center is reportedly considering.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
The lone school to host the Georgia native on an official visit is considered to be the favorite in this recruiting race.
Jul 2, 2015, 7:40 PM EDT
Oregon still has a date to fill (December 29), which the school expects to be filled by an in-state opponent.
Jul 2, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
This is nasty.
Jul 2, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
The Class of 2007 produced some very good players, including one who’s an NBA MVP and others who have developed into perennial all-stars.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:53 PM EDT
I’m a big fan of these, particularly the dark grey ones.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:43 PM EDT
Cell phone addiction is a national crisis.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:17 PM EDT
Can anyone guess what that moment is?
Jul 2, 2015, 10:09 AM EDT
This is something else.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)