Dec 13, 2012, 1:30 PM EST
Illinois State has suspended sophomore guard Geoffrey Allen indefinitely following the Eastern Washington transfer being arrested on a preliminary charge of selling marijuana.
Allen, who was arrested Wednesday night, was released after posting $3,000 bond. The charges are for criminal conspiracy-marijuana and manufacture/delivery of 30 to 500 grams of marijuana. In a brief statement released by the school, head coach Dan Muller simply stated that he was “very disappointed in Allen.”
Allen played in six of the Redbirds’ nine games this season, averaging just 3.5 points and 2.7 rebounds per contest. His season high in points was six, which he tallied on two separate occasions (wins over UCSB and Western Michigan), and Allen grabbed a season best four rebounds in an 87-48 win over Delaware State.
Illinois State snapped a three-game losing streak last Saturday in an 85-63 win over Western Michigan, and with Allen averaging just 8.2 minutes per game this won’t be seen as a debilitating loss for the Redbirds.
Power forward Jackie Carmichael (16.2 ppg, 7.1 rpg) and shooting guard Tyler Brown (19.2 ppg, 3.8 rpg) have led the way for Illinois State thus far with Bryant Allen (no relation) averaging 9.7 points per game, and freshman point guard Kaza Keane has performed well in his debut season.
Photo credit: Illinois State University
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 1
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 20
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)