Dec 13, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
Illinois State has suspended sophomore guard Geoffrey Allen indefinitely following the Eastern Washington transfer being arrested on a preliminary charge of selling marijuana.
Allen, who was arrested Wednesday night, was released after posting $3,000 bond. The charges are for criminal conspiracy-marijuana and manufacture/delivery of 30 to 500 grams of marijuana. In a brief statement released by the school, head coach Dan Muller simply stated that he was “very disappointed in Allen.”
Allen played in six of the Redbirds’ nine games this season, averaging just 3.5 points and 2.7 rebounds per contest. His season high in points was six, which he tallied on two separate occasions (wins over UCSB and Western Michigan), and Allen grabbed a season best four rebounds in an 87-48 win over Delaware State.
Illinois State snapped a three-game losing streak last Saturday in an 85-63 win over Western Michigan, and with Allen averaging just 8.2 minutes per game this won’t be seen as a debilitating loss for the Redbirds.
Power forward Jackie Carmichael (16.2 ppg, 7.1 rpg) and shooting guard Tyler Brown (19.2 ppg, 3.8 rpg) have led the way for Illinois State thus far with Bryant Allen (no relation) averaging 9.7 points per game, and freshman point guard Kaza Keane has performed well in his debut season.
Photo credit: Illinois State University
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 0
- No. 1 Duke advances to Elite 8 with win over No. 5 Utah 1
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 1
- Sources: Rick Barnes not expected to return to Texas 6
- Steve Lavin and St. John’s ‘mutually agree’ to part ways 1
- No. 2 Arizona pulls away from No. 6 Xavier, setting up West regional final rematch 0
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 17
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Three ACC, two Big Ten teams in Elite Eight (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- NCAA’s Mark Emmert calls Indiana’s religious freedom bill ‘especially concerning’ (20)