Dec 13, 2012, 1:30 PM EST
Illinois State has suspended sophomore guard Geoffrey Allen indefinitely following the Eastern Washington transfer being arrested on a preliminary charge of selling marijuana.
Allen, who was arrested Wednesday night, was released after posting $3,000 bond. The charges are for criminal conspiracy-marijuana and manufacture/delivery of 30 to 500 grams of marijuana. In a brief statement released by the school, head coach Dan Muller simply stated that he was “very disappointed in Allen.”
Allen played in six of the Redbirds’ nine games this season, averaging just 3.5 points and 2.7 rebounds per contest. His season high in points was six, which he tallied on two separate occasions (wins over UCSB and Western Michigan), and Allen grabbed a season best four rebounds in an 87-48 win over Delaware State.
Illinois State snapped a three-game losing streak last Saturday in an 85-63 win over Western Michigan, and with Allen averaging just 8.2 minutes per game this won’t be seen as a debilitating loss for the Redbirds.
Power forward Jackie Carmichael (16.2 ppg, 7.1 rpg) and shooting guard Tyler Brown (19.2 ppg, 3.8 rpg) have led the way for Illinois State thus far with Bryant Allen (no relation) averaging 9.7 points per game, and freshman point guard Kaza Keane has performed well in his debut season.
Photo credit: Illinois State University
- Briante Weber suffers season-ending knee injury in No. 14 VCU’s loss to Richmond 0
- No. 4 Duke ends No. 2 Virginia’s unbeaten season 1
- Foul line, offensive rebounding aid No. 13 Louisville’s comeback effort 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 4 Duke rebounds to beat No. 2 Virginia, and No. 8 Notre Dame falls 0
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 1
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 2
- Rick Pitino on Terry Rozier’s impending NBA Draft decision: ‘He’s not coming back’ 0
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)