Dec 13, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
Illinois State has suspended sophomore guard Geoffrey Allen indefinitely following the Eastern Washington transfer being arrested on a preliminary charge of selling marijuana.
Allen, who was arrested Wednesday night, was released after posting $3,000 bond. The charges are for criminal conspiracy-marijuana and manufacture/delivery of 30 to 500 grams of marijuana. In a brief statement released by the school, head coach Dan Muller simply stated that he was “very disappointed in Allen.”
Allen played in six of the Redbirds’ nine games this season, averaging just 3.5 points and 2.7 rebounds per contest. His season high in points was six, which he tallied on two separate occasions (wins over UCSB and Western Michigan), and Allen grabbed a season best four rebounds in an 87-48 win over Delaware State.
Illinois State snapped a three-game losing streak last Saturday in an 85-63 win over Western Michigan, and with Allen averaging just 8.2 minutes per game this won’t be seen as a debilitating loss for the Redbirds.
Power forward Jackie Carmichael (16.2 ppg, 7.1 rpg) and shooting guard Tyler Brown (19.2 ppg, 3.8 rpg) have led the way for Illinois State thus far with Bryant Allen (no relation) averaging 9.7 points per game, and freshman point guard Kaza Keane has performed well in his debut season.
Photo credit: Illinois State University
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 0
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)