Dec 13, 2012, 10:07 AM EDT
The Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference, which will be down to nine members at the end of this academic year with Loyola (MD) making the move to the Patriot League, could join the expansion party themselves on Friday.
The remaining presidents are expected to vote on expansion candidates on Friday, with Mark Blaudschun reporting that Quinnipiac, Monmouth and Wagner are the schools likely to be approved for membership.
In the report there’s also the thought that the MAAC would look to move towards a “travel partner” system similar to what the Ivy League has in the event that they expand to 12 members.
The MAAC, which is expected to officially approve the move at a meeting of the conference Presidents on Friday wants to set up a system similar to the Ivy League in which each team will have a ‘travel partner” during the conference season.
With Loyola out of the league, the MAAC partner system would look like this: Monmouth and Rider, Fairfield and Quinnipiac, Manhattan and Iona, St. Peter’s and Wagner, Canisus and Niagara and Marist and Siena.
However nothing’s been decided by the MAAC and its presidents, hence the need for Friday’s vote as opposed to simply announcing the addition of new schools.
. @MAACCommish said in a text that he does not expect league will make an announcement tomorrow. Announcements likely to come from schools.—
Ben Doody (@bendoody) December 13, 2012
If the above scenario were to happen the Northeast Conference, of which Monmouth, Quinnipiac and Wagner are all members, would be down to nine schools and likely in the market for at least one more.
Could this round of movement eventually result in NJIT, which is currently a member of the Great West Conference (which lost another member as Chicago State joined the WAC), finally landing in a stable conference that makes geographical sense? That would have to be the hope in Newark at this point.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)