Dec 13, 2012, 10:07 AM EST
The Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference, which will be down to nine members at the end of this academic year with Loyola (MD) making the move to the Patriot League, could join the expansion party themselves on Friday.
The remaining presidents are expected to vote on expansion candidates on Friday, with Mark Blaudschun reporting that Quinnipiac, Monmouth and Wagner are the schools likely to be approved for membership.
In the report there’s also the thought that the MAAC would look to move towards a “travel partner” system similar to what the Ivy League has in the event that they expand to 12 members.
The MAAC, which is expected to officially approve the move at a meeting of the conference Presidents on Friday wants to set up a system similar to the Ivy League in which each team will have a ‘travel partner” during the conference season.
With Loyola out of the league, the MAAC partner system would look like this: Monmouth and Rider, Fairfield and Quinnipiac, Manhattan and Iona, St. Peter’s and Wagner, Canisus and Niagara and Marist and Siena.
However nothing’s been decided by the MAAC and its presidents, hence the need for Friday’s vote as opposed to simply announcing the addition of new schools.
. @MAACCommish said in a text that he does not expect league will make an announcement tomorrow. Announcements likely to come from schools.—
Ben Doody (@bendoody) December 13, 2012
If the above scenario were to happen the Northeast Conference, of which Monmouth, Quinnipiac and Wagner are all members, would be down to nine schools and likely in the market for at least one more.
Could this round of movement eventually result in NJIT, which is currently a member of the Great West Conference (which lost another member as Chicago State joined the WAC), finally landing in a stable conference that makes geographical sense? That would have to be the hope in Newark at this point.
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 11
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Syracuse upsets No. 8 Notre Dame in an inspired ACC road effort 0
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)