Dec 13, 2012, 10:07 AM EDT
The Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference, which will be down to nine members at the end of this academic year with Loyola (MD) making the move to the Patriot League, could join the expansion party themselves on Friday.
The remaining presidents are expected to vote on expansion candidates on Friday, with Mark Blaudschun reporting that Quinnipiac, Monmouth and Wagner are the schools likely to be approved for membership.
In the report there’s also the thought that the MAAC would look to move towards a “travel partner” system similar to what the Ivy League has in the event that they expand to 12 members.
The MAAC, which is expected to officially approve the move at a meeting of the conference Presidents on Friday wants to set up a system similar to the Ivy League in which each team will have a ‘travel partner” during the conference season.
With Loyola out of the league, the MAAC partner system would look like this: Monmouth and Rider, Fairfield and Quinnipiac, Manhattan and Iona, St. Peter’s and Wagner, Canisus and Niagara and Marist and Siena.
However nothing’s been decided by the MAAC and its presidents, hence the need for Friday’s vote as opposed to simply announcing the addition of new schools.
. @MAACCommish said in a text that he does not expect league will make an announcement tomorrow. Announcements likely to come from schools.—
Ben Doody (@bendoody) December 13, 2012
If the above scenario were to happen the Northeast Conference, of which Monmouth, Quinnipiac and Wagner are all members, would be down to nine schools and likely in the market for at least one more.
Could this round of movement eventually result in NJIT, which is currently a member of the Great West Conference (which lost another member as Chicago State joined the WAC), finally landing in a stable conference that makes geographical sense? That would have to be the hope in Newark at this point.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)