Dec 13, 2012, 9:24 PM EDT
The Big East’s seven basketball only schools are leaving the conference to form their own league.
Up to this point, it’s been unclear who the other teams will be that join them in that new league.
But according to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, Butler and Xavier will be a part of that newly established conference.
Whether that league eventually grows to 10 or 12 teams in unknown at this point in time. VCU, Creighton, Dayton and St. Louis have all been mentioned in conjunction with the Catholic 7, while rumors have spread as far as Gonzaga and St. Mary’s.
This break up may not end up being all bad for the basketball schools.
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 2
- California guard Tyrone Wallace to return for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (17)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)