Dec 13, 2012, 9:24 PM EST
The Big East’s seven basketball only schools are leaving the conference to form their own league.
Up to this point, it’s been unclear who the other teams will be that join them in that new league.
But according to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, Butler and Xavier will be a part of that newly established conference.
Whether that league eventually grows to 10 or 12 teams in unknown at this point in time. VCU, Creighton, Dayton and St. Louis have all been mentioned in conjunction with the Catholic 7, while rumors have spread as far as Gonzaga and St. Mary’s.
This break up may not end up being all bad for the basketball schools.
- Why Duke’s road win at Virginia was so shocking 3
- Briante Weber suffers season-ending knee injury in No. 14 VCU’s loss to Richmond 0
- No. 4 Duke ends No. 2 Virginia’s unbeaten season 1
- Foul line, offensive rebounding aid No. 13 Louisville’s comeback effort 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 4 Duke rebounds to beat No. 2 Virginia, and No. 8 Notre Dame falls 0
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 1
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)
- Jerian Grant turns back fans trying to storm the floor after Duke win (GIF) (4)