Dec 14, 2012, 6:02 PM EST
The Miami Hurricanes will be without guard Bishop Daniels Friday against Charlotte after the school announced that the redshirt freshman would be leaving the team.
Daniels played in three games for Miami this season, but had been on a “leave of absence” to focus on academics since before the Hurricanes’ win over then-No. 13 Michigan State on Nov. 28. Prior to that, he had been averaging five points, one rebound, and one assist per game.
“He had a lot of work to do and you want your priorities to be academics and he needed a lot of time with papers and exams due in a short period of time,” said Miami coach Jim Larranaga on Daniels’ leave of absence.
Miami enters its match-up with undefeated Charlotte Friday night with an overall record of 5-1, including four straight victories. Guard Shane Larkin commented in the school’s short statement.
“I know he was going through a lot of things with school, family, basketball, a lot of things,” Larkin said. “He’s doing a lot better. We have a class together and we just took our exam and he seemed like he was back to his old ways — just being a joker saying jokes and clowning around.
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 0
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 4
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)