Dec 14, 2012, 6:02 PM EST
The Miami Hurricanes will be without guard Bishop Daniels Friday against Charlotte after the school announced that the redshirt freshman would be leaving the team.
Daniels played in three games for Miami this season, but had been on a “leave of absence” to focus on academics since before the Hurricanes’ win over then-No. 13 Michigan State on Nov. 28. Prior to that, he had been averaging five points, one rebound, and one assist per game.
“He had a lot of work to do and you want your priorities to be academics and he needed a lot of time with papers and exams due in a short period of time,” said Miami coach Jim Larranaga on Daniels’ leave of absence.
Miami enters its match-up with undefeated Charlotte Friday night with an overall record of 5-1, including four straight victories. Guard Shane Larkin commented in the school’s short statement.
“I know he was going through a lot of things with school, family, basketball, a lot of things,” Larkin said. “He’s doing a lot better. We have a class together and we just took our exam and he seemed like he was back to his old ways — just being a joker saying jokes and clowning around.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 1
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)