Dec 14, 2012, 6:02 PM EST
The Miami Hurricanes will be without guard Bishop Daniels Friday against Charlotte after the school announced that the redshirt freshman would be leaving the team.
Daniels played in three games for Miami this season, but had been on a “leave of absence” to focus on academics since before the Hurricanes’ win over then-No. 13 Michigan State on Nov. 28. Prior to that, he had been averaging five points, one rebound, and one assist per game.
“He had a lot of work to do and you want your priorities to be academics and he needed a lot of time with papers and exams due in a short period of time,” said Miami coach Jim Larranaga on Daniels’ leave of absence.
Miami enters its match-up with undefeated Charlotte Friday night with an overall record of 5-1, including four straight victories. Guard Shane Larkin commented in the school’s short statement.
“I know he was going through a lot of things with school, family, basketball, a lot of things,” Larkin said. “He’s doing a lot better. We have a class together and we just took our exam and he seemed like he was back to his old ways — just being a joker saying jokes and clowning around.
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Report: Gonzaga’s Josh Perkins broke his jaw (4)