Dec 14, 2012, 6:02 PM EST
The Miami Hurricanes will be without guard Bishop Daniels Friday against Charlotte after the school announced that the redshirt freshman would be leaving the team.
Daniels played in three games for Miami this season, but had been on a “leave of absence” to focus on academics since before the Hurricanes’ win over then-No. 13 Michigan State on Nov. 28. Prior to that, he had been averaging five points, one rebound, and one assist per game.
“He had a lot of work to do and you want your priorities to be academics and he needed a lot of time with papers and exams due in a short period of time,” said Miami coach Jim Larranaga on Daniels’ leave of absence.
Miami enters its match-up with undefeated Charlotte Friday night with an overall record of 5-1, including four straight victories. Guard Shane Larkin commented in the school’s short statement.
“I know he was going through a lot of things with school, family, basketball, a lot of things,” Larkin said. “He’s doing a lot better. We have a class together and we just took our exam and he seemed like he was back to his old ways — just being a joker saying jokes and clowning around.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)