Dec 14, 2012, 6:02 PM EDT
The Miami Hurricanes will be without guard Bishop Daniels Friday against Charlotte after the school announced that the redshirt freshman would be leaving the team.
Daniels played in three games for Miami this season, but had been on a “leave of absence” to focus on academics since before the Hurricanes’ win over then-No. 13 Michigan State on Nov. 28. Prior to that, he had been averaging five points, one rebound, and one assist per game.
“He had a lot of work to do and you want your priorities to be academics and he needed a lot of time with papers and exams due in a short period of time,” said Miami coach Jim Larranaga on Daniels’ leave of absence.
Miami enters its match-up with undefeated Charlotte Friday night with an overall record of 5-1, including four straight victories. Guard Shane Larkin commented in the school’s short statement.
“I know he was going through a lot of things with school, family, basketball, a lot of things,” Larkin said. “He’s doing a lot better. We have a class together and we just took our exam and he seemed like he was back to his old ways — just being a joker saying jokes and clowning around.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)