Dec 14, 2012, 12:51 AM EDT
Game of the Night
Tennessee 69, No. 23 Wichita State 60: This was a long way from what you might refer to as a “pretty” game, but it certainly was a statement win for the Vols. With Jeronne Maymon still injured and Jarnell Stokes incapable of staying on the floor due to foul trouble, Tennessee still managed to find a way to beat a very good Wichita State team. Trae Golden had 25 points and five assists while Jordan McRae added 17 points of his own, but it was UT’s defense that won this game. Carl Hall had 21 points and nine boards on 9-10 shooting. The rest of the Shocker roster? They have 39 points on 26.7% shooting (12-45).
Belmont 64, Middle Tennessee State 49: The Bruins got 32 points, 10 boards and nine assists from their back court duo of Kerron Johnson and Ian Clark, as they turned a 24-22 deficit late in the first half into a 40-27 lead just a couple of minutes into the second half. you can go ahead and slide this win into the ‘quality victory’ category for Belmont, even if it won’t necessarily look that way come Selection Sunday. MTSU is a talented veteran team that was coming off of a win over Ole Miss.
Scott Suggs, Washington: Suggs had 24 points and five boards as Washington won the city showdown against Seattle, 87-74. More impressive? He did it while dealing with leg cramps throughout much of the game.
Charleston: They lost to Anderson. By 16. That’s not a person; it’s a Division II team. I think we could also put Baylor down as a team that struggled, because the Cougars beat the Bears in Waco.
The Rest of the Top 25
- No. 20 UNLV 91, La Verne 44
- 2014 American Athletic Conference Tournament Preview: Louisville looks to win its only year in the AAC 0
- NBCSports.com National Player of the Year: Doug McDermott, Creighton 0
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 1
- NBCSports.com National Freshman of the Year: Jabari Parker, Duke 3
- Bracketology: Delaware, Manhattan, Wofford punch tickets 0
- 2014 SEC Tournament Preview: How will Kentucky, bubble teams fair? 1
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 1
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (9)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)