Dec 14, 2012, 12:51 AM EDT
Game of the Night
Tennessee 69, No. 23 Wichita State 60: This was a long way from what you might refer to as a “pretty” game, but it certainly was a statement win for the Vols. With Jeronne Maymon still injured and Jarnell Stokes incapable of staying on the floor due to foul trouble, Tennessee still managed to find a way to beat a very good Wichita State team. Trae Golden had 25 points and five assists while Jordan McRae added 17 points of his own, but it was UT’s defense that won this game. Carl Hall had 21 points and nine boards on 9-10 shooting. The rest of the Shocker roster? They have 39 points on 26.7% shooting (12-45).
Belmont 64, Middle Tennessee State 49: The Bruins got 32 points, 10 boards and nine assists from their back court duo of Kerron Johnson and Ian Clark, as they turned a 24-22 deficit late in the first half into a 40-27 lead just a couple of minutes into the second half. you can go ahead and slide this win into the ‘quality victory’ category for Belmont, even if it won’t necessarily look that way come Selection Sunday. MTSU is a talented veteran team that was coming off of a win over Ole Miss.
Scott Suggs, Washington: Suggs had 24 points and five boards as Washington won the city showdown against Seattle, 87-74. More impressive? He did it while dealing with leg cramps throughout much of the game.
Charleston: They lost to Anderson. By 16. That’s not a person; it’s a Division II team. I think we could also put Baylor down as a team that struggled, because the Cougars beat the Bears in Waco.
The Rest of the Top 25
– No. 20 UNLV 91, La Verne 44
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)