Dec 14, 2012, 2:00 PM EST
Each day, CollegeBasketballTalk brings you the “Pregame Shootaround,” which will lay out a preview for the slate of games that night. We’ll take a look at some key match-ups and important games, as well as make some predictions and point out what you need to watch for. Take a look below at today’s edition:
Note: The weekend editions of Pregame Shootaround will be published half an hour prior to tip-off of the day’s first game.
Game of the Day: Charlotte at Miami (FL) (7 PM)
Alan Major’s 49ers are a surprising 9-0 on the season, and they’ll encounter what could be their stiffest test to date as they take on the Hurricanes in Coral Gables. Senior forward Chris Braswell (14.3 ppg, 7.0 rpg) leads the way offensively for Charlotte and he’s one of just two (DeMario Mayfield) double figure scorers for this balanced group, as five other players are currently averaging between 7.0 and 9.7 points per game. Charlotte also has one of the best perimeter defenders around in Pierria Henry, who will undoubtedly be asked to slow down Shane Larkin at the point.
Miami has five players averaging double figures and guards Shane Larkin, Trey McKinney-Jones and Durand Scott can cause headaches for the opposition. But a key figure for Miami tonight may be Kenny Kadji, who when at his best combines with Reggie Johnson to make the Hurricanes tough to deal with inside. But if he’s not fully engaged in the action then there’s trouble.
Game of the Day, Part Deux: LSU at Boise State (9 PM)
Johnny Jones’ Tigers also enter Friday’s action undefeated but LSU must not overlook Boise State. Derrick Marks scored a career-high 35 points (28 in the second half) to lead the Broncos to an emphatic upset win at then-No. 11 Creighton a couple weeks ago, and with players such as Anthony Drmic and Mikey Thompson at Leon Rice’s disposal as well this is a dangerous game for LSU. Junior Shavon Coleman (15.8 ppg, 4.5 rpg) has proven to be one of the SEC’s best newcomers to this point in the season, and he’ll need to continue that if LSU is to win what is their first road game of the season.
Four Things to Watch
1) UCF visits Old Dominion in what’s a homecoming game of sorts for forward Tristan Spurlock (12.1 ppg, 6.0 rpg). But the star to watch is Keith Clanton, who dropped 30 and 13 on Bethune-Cookman on Wednesday night. And given the Monarchs’ (1-8) struggles, both Spurlock and Clanton could be in for big nights in Norfolk.
2) Army looks to remain undefeated at home tonight as they host Maine, who is 1-5 on the road this season. Senior forward Ella Ellis doesn’t get the pub that Lehigh’s C.J. McCollum or Bucknell’s Mike Muscala receive, but he’s a player who ranks among the best in the Patriot League with averages of 19.7 points and 5.0 rebounds per game.
3) Ole Miss looks to rebound from its first loss of the season as East Tennessee State visits the “Tad Pad.” Murphy Holloway is the SEC’s leading rebounder (10.1 rpg), and in Marshall Henderson the Rebels have a guard capable of lighting it up at a moment’s notice.
4) Cal Poly (Eastern New Mexico) and Portland (Portland Bible College) both take on non-Division I members, and the Friday schedule features just seven games. Both should win comfortably, but after Anderson College beat College of Charleston last night you never know.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 8
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 14
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)