Dec 14, 2012, 8:03 PM EDT
As news broke this past week that the Big East’s seven Catholic schools would break off and form their own conference, the one thing that has been the driving form behind realignment showed up again.
What was to become of the exit fees paid by schools that had previously defected from the Big East and would these Catholic Seven be obligated to pay exits fees of their own?
A report from the USA Today Friday is providing some clarity.
According to Mark Blaudschun, Big East commissioner Mike Aresco is working on a plan that would distribute the $20 million in exit fees to the ten active voting members of the conference—Marquette, Villanova, St. John’s, Georgetown, Providence, Seton Hall, Connecticut, South Florida, Connecticut, and DePaul.
The total amount of exit fees would later double, according to the report, but would be delivered in installments and could vary in amount due to legal disputes, including the departure of Rutgers from the conference.
“It’s one thing to say you are leaving,” a person familiar with the talks told the USA Today, “but the devil is in the details. They (the Catholic schools) did this, but I’m not sure if they have any idea of all the work that is involved in making it work. Right now, the Big East doesn’t have a television contract for basketball for next season.”
To read the entire report, click here.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)