Dec 14, 2012, 8:03 PM EDT
As news broke this past week that the Big East’s seven Catholic schools would break off and form their own conference, the one thing that has been the driving form behind realignment showed up again.
What was to become of the exit fees paid by schools that had previously defected from the Big East and would these Catholic Seven be obligated to pay exits fees of their own?
A report from the USA Today Friday is providing some clarity.
According to Mark Blaudschun, Big East commissioner Mike Aresco is working on a plan that would distribute the $20 million in exit fees to the ten active voting members of the conference—Marquette, Villanova, St. John’s, Georgetown, Providence, Seton Hall, Connecticut, South Florida, Connecticut, and DePaul.
The total amount of exit fees would later double, according to the report, but would be delivered in installments and could vary in amount due to legal disputes, including the departure of Rutgers from the conference.
“It’s one thing to say you are leaving,” a person familiar with the talks told the USA Today, “but the devil is in the details. They (the Catholic schools) did this, but I’m not sure if they have any idea of all the work that is involved in making it work. Right now, the Big East doesn’t have a television contract for basketball for next season.”
To read the entire report, click here.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 2
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)