Dec 14, 2012, 8:03 PM EDT
As news broke this past week that the Big East’s seven Catholic schools would break off and form their own conference, the one thing that has been the driving form behind realignment showed up again.
What was to become of the exit fees paid by schools that had previously defected from the Big East and would these Catholic Seven be obligated to pay exits fees of their own?
A report from the USA Today Friday is providing some clarity.
According to Mark Blaudschun, Big East commissioner Mike Aresco is working on a plan that would distribute the $20 million in exit fees to the ten active voting members of the conference—Marquette, Villanova, St. John’s, Georgetown, Providence, Seton Hall, Connecticut, South Florida, Connecticut, and DePaul.
The total amount of exit fees would later double, according to the report, but would be delivered in installments and could vary in amount due to legal disputes, including the departure of Rutgers from the conference.
“It’s one thing to say you are leaving,” a person familiar with the talks told the USA Today, “but the devil is in the details. They (the Catholic schools) did this, but I’m not sure if they have any idea of all the work that is involved in making it work. Right now, the Big East doesn’t have a television contract for basketball for next season.”
To read the entire report, click here.
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)