Dec 14, 2012, 7:02 PM EDT
Syracuse sophomore Michael Carter-Williams was caught shoplifting from an area mall Sunday afternoon and paid a $500 fine to settle the matter with the store, Syracuse.com is reporting.
According to the report, footage from a store security camera showed Carter-Williams entering a fitting room at Lord & Taylor wearing a backpack and carrying merchandise that he had not paid for, a bathrobe, valued at $85, and gloves, valued at $35.
He then left the fitting room without the merchandise visible.
Carter-Williams was then stopped by mall security and handcuffed. The report says he signed a form acknowledging the theft and he paid a $500 fine. The store did not contact police about the incident.
Syracuse.com explains typical handling of a case like Carter-Williams’:
“If the shoplifter is cooperative and admits stealing merchandise, a store’s loss prevention officer usually offers to settle the matter with a “civil demand,” [the mall’s security director] said. He was speaking generally and not about the Carter-Williams case, which mall security was not involved in.”
In addition to the fine, the report says, Carter-Williams is barred from entering Lord & Taylor stores for the next two years.
Internet speculation about the incident led to questions directed at both Carter-Williams and Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim this week. The two called the occurrence a “misunderstanding” when asked by reporters.
Carter-Williams has been integral to Syracuse’s success on the season, averaging 12.4 points, 10.4 assists, and 5.6 rebounds per game.
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 0
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)