Dec 14, 2012, 7:02 PM EDT
Syracuse sophomore Michael Carter-Williams was caught shoplifting from an area mall Sunday afternoon and paid a $500 fine to settle the matter with the store, Syracuse.com is reporting.
According to the report, footage from a store security camera showed Carter-Williams entering a fitting room at Lord & Taylor wearing a backpack and carrying merchandise that he had not paid for, a bathrobe, valued at $85, and gloves, valued at $35.
He then left the fitting room without the merchandise visible.
Carter-Williams was then stopped by mall security and handcuffed. The report says he signed a form acknowledging the theft and he paid a $500 fine. The store did not contact police about the incident.
Syracuse.com explains typical handling of a case like Carter-Williams’:
“If the shoplifter is cooperative and admits stealing merchandise, a store’s loss prevention officer usually offers to settle the matter with a “civil demand,” [the mall's security director] said. He was speaking generally and not about the Carter-Williams case, which mall security was not involved in.”
In addition to the fine, the report says, Carter-Williams is barred from entering Lord & Taylor stores for the next two years.
Internet speculation about the incident led to questions directed at both Carter-Williams and Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim this week. The two called the occurrence a “misunderstanding” when asked by reporters.
Carter-Williams has been integral to Syracuse’s success on the season, averaging 12.4 points, 10.4 assists, and 5.6 rebounds per game.
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- USA Basketball U17 team wins gold in the FIBA World Championships 0
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)