Dec 14, 2012, 7:02 PM EST
Syracuse sophomore Michael Carter-Williams was caught shoplifting from an area mall Sunday afternoon and paid a $500 fine to settle the matter with the store, Syracuse.com is reporting.
According to the report, footage from a store security camera showed Carter-Williams entering a fitting room at Lord & Taylor wearing a backpack and carrying merchandise that he had not paid for, a bathrobe, valued at $85, and gloves, valued at $35.
He then left the fitting room without the merchandise visible.
Carter-Williams was then stopped by mall security and handcuffed. The report says he signed a form acknowledging the theft and he paid a $500 fine. The store did not contact police about the incident.
Syracuse.com explains typical handling of a case like Carter-Williams’:
“If the shoplifter is cooperative and admits stealing merchandise, a store’s loss prevention officer usually offers to settle the matter with a “civil demand,” [the mall's security director] said. He was speaking generally and not about the Carter-Williams case, which mall security was not involved in.”
In addition to the fine, the report says, Carter-Williams is barred from entering Lord & Taylor stores for the next two years.
Internet speculation about the incident led to questions directed at both Carter-Williams and Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim this week. The two called the occurrence a “misunderstanding” when asked by reporters.
Carter-Williams has been integral to Syracuse’s success on the season, averaging 12.4 points, 10.4 assists, and 5.6 rebounds per game.
- Harvard wraps up third consecutive NCAA tournament berth (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend Preview: The regular season comes to a close 1
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy 4
- Senior starters once again carry No. 15 Cincinnati 0
- Doug McDermott’s career still missing most important part: His One Shining Moment 0
- Bryce Cotton, Providence’s marathon man, looking to lead the Friars on a run to the NCAA tournament 0
- Bubble Banter: Colorado, Dayton the day’s biggest winners 1
- Undefeated regular season says all we need to know about No. 2 Wichita State (9)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Finally at full strength, Michigan State sleepwalks through loss to Illinois (6)
- Kentucky hits rock bottom, loses at South Carolina (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)