Dec 14, 2012, 7:02 PM EDT
Syracuse sophomore Michael Carter-Williams was caught shoplifting from an area mall Sunday afternoon and paid a $500 fine to settle the matter with the store, Syracuse.com is reporting.
According to the report, footage from a store security camera showed Carter-Williams entering a fitting room at Lord & Taylor wearing a backpack and carrying merchandise that he had not paid for, a bathrobe, valued at $85, and gloves, valued at $35.
He then left the fitting room without the merchandise visible.
Carter-Williams was then stopped by mall security and handcuffed. The report says he signed a form acknowledging the theft and he paid a $500 fine. The store did not contact police about the incident.
Syracuse.com explains typical handling of a case like Carter-Williams’:
“If the shoplifter is cooperative and admits stealing merchandise, a store’s loss prevention officer usually offers to settle the matter with a “civil demand,” [the mall’s security director] said. He was speaking generally and not about the Carter-Williams case, which mall security was not involved in.”
In addition to the fine, the report says, Carter-Williams is barred from entering Lord & Taylor stores for the next two years.
Internet speculation about the incident led to questions directed at both Carter-Williams and Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim this week. The two called the occurrence a “misunderstanding” when asked by reporters.
Carter-Williams has been integral to Syracuse’s success on the season, averaging 12.4 points, 10.4 assists, and 5.6 rebounds per game.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 0
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 2
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 23
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (86)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)