Dec 14, 2012, 7:02 PM EDT
Syracuse sophomore Michael Carter-Williams was caught shoplifting from an area mall Sunday afternoon and paid a $500 fine to settle the matter with the store, Syracuse.com is reporting.
According to the report, footage from a store security camera showed Carter-Williams entering a fitting room at Lord & Taylor wearing a backpack and carrying merchandise that he had not paid for, a bathrobe, valued at $85, and gloves, valued at $35.
He then left the fitting room without the merchandise visible.
Carter-Williams was then stopped by mall security and handcuffed. The report says he signed a form acknowledging the theft and he paid a $500 fine. The store did not contact police about the incident.
Syracuse.com explains typical handling of a case like Carter-Williams’:
“If the shoplifter is cooperative and admits stealing merchandise, a store’s loss prevention officer usually offers to settle the matter with a “civil demand,” [the mall's security director] said. He was speaking generally and not about the Carter-Williams case, which mall security was not involved in.”
In addition to the fine, the report says, Carter-Williams is barred from entering Lord & Taylor stores for the next two years.
Internet speculation about the incident led to questions directed at both Carter-Williams and Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim this week. The two called the occurrence a “misunderstanding” when asked by reporters.
Carter-Williams has been integral to Syracuse’s success on the season, averaging 12.4 points, 10.4 assists, and 5.6 rebounds per game.
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)