Dec 15, 2012, 2:11 PM EDT
In Louisville’s lone loss of the year – a 76-71 loss to Duke in the Battle 4 Atlantis title game – the Cardinals were without starting center Gorgui Dieng, who was sideline with a wrist injury.
Dieng was scheduled to be out for 4-6 weeks, requiring surgery to fix a broken scaphoid bone. However, the 6-foot-11 junior may be set for an early return, according to his coach, Rick Pitino.
C.L. Brown of the Courier-Journal is reporting that the cast is off his wrist and he has started to participate in individual workouts., in hopes of joining the team for Sunday’s practice. Although he is back on the floor, he is still is far needs to get back to form as Louisville’s defensive force inside. According to Brown, Dieng is favoring his left wrist, not dribbling with his left hand or even going up for block shots with it.
Dieng will not be available for Saturday’s game against Memphis and Pitino has already said Dieng will not suit up for Wednesday’s game against Florida International. However, his return could happen as soon next Saturday against Western Kentucky.
“He could play in the Western Kentucky game if he’s in shape,” said Pitino. “That’s the biggest thing, not the hand, if he’s in shape to play.”
Pitino would go onto say Dieng would likely go 15-18 minutes. This would give Dieng one game back in action before a Dec. 29 matchup with Kentucky. Dieng hasn’t played since Nov. 23 in a win against Missouri. The Cardinals’ big man injured his wrist, while trying to draw a charge. He was averaging 8.2 points, 8.0 rebounds, and 2.4 block shots in five games for Louisville.
The Cardinals haven’t really needed Dieng since his injury, surviving an upset bid from Illinois State, followed easy wins against the College of Charleston and University of Missouir-Kansas City
Jul 7, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
See, he’s just a creepy fanboy like the rest of us!
Jul 7, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Michigan State will be hosting Florida, with a return game in Gainesville in two years.
Jul 7, 2015, 11:16 AM EDT
The Jayhawks … err, Americans … are now 3-0 in the event.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT
Read through my column on Georges Niang and Iowa State.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:47 PM EDT
Four-star point guard Payton Pritchard is going to explore his options heading into the July live evaluation period.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
Northwestern continues to get good local pick-ups in the 2016 class.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
La Salle is losing an experienced guard to transfer.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
One of Tennessee’s only options at point guard is enrolling closer to the school year.
Jul 6, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
One of the better shooting guards in the country is focused on 10 schools.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Michigan is going with the Jumpman under its new apparel agreement.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:48 PM EDT
Kentucky had led the nation in average attendance for eight straight years.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
The top three in this group is debatable.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT
Jonathan Isaac is loaded with potential.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
The front of the jersey said Kansas before.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT
Two of the nation’s best high schoolers square off.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:03 PM EDT
Thibodeaux’s decision came eight days after he began basic training.
Jul 5, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
All of the violations were deemed to be Level III or Level IV violations, which isn’t a big deal at all.
Jul 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Plenty of college basketball players were in the FIBA U19 World Championships besides the Americans.
Jul 5, 2015, 3:37 PM EDT
The USA U19 team captured back-to-back FIBA World Championships for the first time since 1983.
Jul 5, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT
Mississippi State landed a commitment on Sunday from a transfer.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)