Dec 15, 2012, 10:21 PM EDT
The first time around, Mississippi State players had to sneak out of the state by boarding a plane in the dead of night. They were running from their own Governor, who was expected to issue an injunction against their intent to play Loyola of Illinois in an NCAA tournament game.
The year was 1963, and the issue at hand was race. Governor Ross Barnett was prepared to squash a basketball team’s dreams of playing for a national title and the glory of a state university because their northern opponent fielded a racially integrated team.
To get the full story, read Kyle Veazey’s Champions for Change.
The result of the 1963 tournament game was a 61-51 win for Loyola.
In tonight’s rematch, played in honor of those 1963 renegades, the result was very much the same. Loyola of the Horizon League moved to 7-3 on the strength of a convincing 59-51 victory over the SEC challenger.
Devon Turk of the Ramblers led all scorers with 21 points on 7-12 shooting. He was joined in double figures by swingman Christian Thomas, who poured in 16.
Mississippi State was outrebounded and harassed into 37.5% shooting. Fred Thomas and Roquez Johnson combined to score 27 points for the visiting team, but got little help from foul-prone teammates.
Players from the original Game of Change attended the rematch, and were on court when the starting lineups for today’s teams were announced.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
Apr 15, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
The Mustangs and Bulldogs are looking to meet in a home-and-home series.
Apr 15, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
Watch the 7-foot-6 center play baseball.
Apr 15, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
Austin will leave Waco after two seasons.
Apr 15, 2014, 7:34 PM EDT
He will have two years of eligibility remaining.
Apr 15, 2014, 7:08 PM EDT
Washington State loses three players, including a starting guard.
Apr 15, 2014, 6:11 PM EDT
The NCAA approved a rule change that will benefit student-athletes.
Apr 15, 2014, 6:06 PM EDT
Okoroh will follow Cuonzo Martin from Tennessee to Cal.
Apr 15, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT
Tom Izzo returns a key player from last season’s 29-win team.
Apr 15, 2014, 5:17 PM EDT
A pair of starters will leave Arizona following an Elite 8 appearance.
Apr 15, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
The Big Ten regular season champion has lost two underclassmen to the NBA draft with the possibility of a third departure as well.
Apr 15, 2014, 3:56 PM EDT
Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee was a marriage that needed to end. On Tuesday, it did.
Apr 15, 2014, 1:23 PM EDT
Cal dipped into SEC territory to land their new head coach.
Apr 15, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
The Miami investigation keeps getting more embarrassing for the NCAA.
Apr 15, 2014, 12:19 PM EDT
The future Kentucky Wildcat had an impressive showing at the Hoop Summit last weekend.
Apr 15, 2014, 11:32 AM EDT
Gonzaga is close to landing the son of another legend of the 80s
Apr 15, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT
He lies to the NBA?
Apr 14, 2014, 11:37 PM EDT
Syracuse landed another 2015 pledge on Monday evening when guard Franklin Howard committed to the Orange.
Apr 14, 2014, 10:48 PM EDT
Duke freshman forward Jabari Parker will decide on his future this week.
Apr 14, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
Washington point guard Nigel Williams-Goss will return for his sophomore season.
Apr 14, 2014, 8:28 PM EDT
Cornell transfer Nolan Cressler has committed to Vanderbilt.
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 5
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 9
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 4
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- John Calipari reveals what ‘the tweak’ actually was 5
- More than 200,000 UConn fans show up for parade in Hartford (VIDEO/PHOTOS) 0
- Duke’s Jabari Parker will discuss options with Mike Krzyzewski next week 0
- UMass guard Derrick Gordon becomes first openly gay Division I basketball player (31)
- Lacey Holsworth, Adreian Payne’s eight-year-old friend, loses her battle with cancer (9)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (9)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (9)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (8)